Looking for good dealers | FerrariChat

Looking for good dealers

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by BruceKy, Nov 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BruceKy

BruceKy Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Burlington
    Full Name:
    Bruce Haake
    I'd like to impose on the experience that any of you have had with fcar dealers ,new or used, within a few hundred miles of Cincy.
    I'm beginning my search , and even though I'm leaning to a 328, I'd like to see the various flavors available.
    I'm not opposed to buying from individuals , but I think I can spend my time
    more efficiently by visiting dealers that will have more cars to see and perhaps test.Then I'll know which model I want to zero in on.
    I've been to MAG and Nelson , but that's it.
    Ooley Blackburn seems to usually have a variety.
    Are they good to see, will they allow test drives?
    Chicago/ Detroit is probably the farthest I'd like to go.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In Michigan (Detroit area), we have Cauley Ferrari 1-248-538-9600 or Kip Sheward 1-248-477-7733 www.kipshewardmotorsports.com. Kip is a great guy, honest and can be trusted. He just sold a 328GTS for me and i believe it went to Ohio.

3. BruceKy

BruceKy Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Burlington
    Full Name:
    Bruce Haake
    Mark,
    Thanks for the tips.
    Bruce

4. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    MAG and Nelson are good, so is Marshall Goldman:
    http://www.mgmsl.com/sindex.cfm

Those 3 are the top exotic dealers in Ohio. I haven't had any experience but I've only heard good things about them and they are the ones I recommend.

Mershon's is a smaller dealer in Springfield OH, focused on Corvettes but they usually have a few exotics and I know Dan Mershon would be willing to look around for you.

http://www.mershons.com

Good luck!

5. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I've also heard good things about Kip Sheward. No personal experience though.

6. TimsF355GTS

TimsF355GTS Rookie

Dec 5, 2004
    Ohio
    I bought my f355 from Kip Sheward a year ago. He's a good guy, and I would buy from him again.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My 308 came from Lamborghini of Chicago (Fox Valley Motorcars), I'd do business with them again.

8. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I've heard mixed opinions on Goldman, one thing I noticed is his prices are really high.

Definitely check out www.auto-palace.com, those guys are in Pittsburgh, and have a lot of used Ferraris. Ask for Aaron or Michael.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I lived in Cleveland and Chicago (and went to college near Cincinnati) before I moved out to San Diego, and I'd say you're severely limiting your options by the radius of your search.

At a minimum, you should consider Lake Forest and Continental in Chicago, both of which have good reputations. I think the transport costs to get a car home would be nominal, and you will see a lot more cars. You could drive there or fly there fairly inexpensively, depending on where your nearest major airport is.

If you're a serious buyer, and the weather is decent, I think those dealers would be accommodating. Best thing, though, is to surf f-chat so you can find out the strengths and weaknesses of the cars beforehand -- a dealer ultimately wants to sell you the car he has. There are posts in the Classics thread about what it's like to drive a 328 versus a 348 versus a 308, etc. Search a bit.

10. BruceKy

BruceKy Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Burlington
    Full Name:
    Bruce Haake
    Thanks for the replies.
    My biggest problem is that I have never been in an Fcar and I've only seen
    two or three at MAG and Nelson.
    I've had two Porsches and now its time to move on.
    Although I think a 328 is what I want now, I may find it is not the car for me.
    That's the reasoning for wanting to visit a dealer or two that would have a
    variety to see , feel , and perhaps test.
    Chicago or Detroit is the farthest I'd like to travel for this initial step,
    therefore Continental is fine.
    Mag never seems to ahve an inventory, I'll visit Marshall, Ooley Blackburn
    is relatively close - does anyone know them?
    Thanks Again
    Bruce

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Weather permitting, and cheap fare available, plan an overnight trip to Chicago. Lake Forest and Continental have 328's in stock as well as 308, 348, 355. It's enough cars to be worth the trip.

You're right, until I drove a 328 I didn't "get" the difference between it and my 993. Frankly they're worlds different -- pedal placement, Italian driving position, gated shifter, warm-up procedure, unboosted steering. A Porsche makes you feel like a rich guy in a great sports car. A Ferrari makes you feel like Schumacher.

Marshall Goldman is a nice showroom, but you will only get to see 1 or 2 cars that will directly interest you, after making the drive up to Cleveland.

My two cents.

Oh yeah -- and have fun! Visiting a Ferrari dealer isn't total drudgery...

12. BruceKy

BruceKy Rookie

Jul 30, 2005
    Burlington
    Full Name:
    Bruce Haake
    Chicago dealers seem to be the right place to start, at laest for variety,
    which is what I need.
    It's about a 2 hour flight or 5 hour drive, I'll probably make it a 4 day weekend.
    Thanks,
    Bruce