New (for me) Mondial T Coupe | FerrariChat

New (for me) Mondial T Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by gmark340, Oct 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gmark340

gmark340 Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just wanted to share the fact that an '89 Mondial T coupe followed me home and now lives in my garage. I have been lurking through many threads on this site to help me make my decision before acquiring it, as well as PMing some of you with further questions. The T is replacing an '88 BMW M5 which came out on the short end of a meeting with an SUV whose driver was on her cell phone and appears to have lost situational awareness of the road. I'll miss the M5 as it was many things I'm not expecting the T to be: easy to maintain, very utilitarian and quite unassuming. However, I wanted something different and am looking forward to getting to know my first Fcar.

I'll post some pics at some point soon and I'm sure to be back with questions in the course of learning what I've got but, in the meantime, I wanted to thank everyone for their help and interest.

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great car.

Enjoy.

3. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congratulations……I think the Mondial Coupe is a really nice looking Ferrari. But then again I am partial to coupes for all Ferrari models….I am just a coupe kind of guy. What year did you buy? Serial number? Mileage?

Enjoy!

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Congrats!! Great car - we are all looking forward to pics!

5. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Wonderful car, and rare. Enjoy it and we can't wait to see pics.

6. gmark340

gmark340 Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks, folks. It's an '89, black with tan interior, s/n 0081861 with 21,831 miles. I'll make it my daily driver for decent weather.

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Congrats.

8. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Congratulations!!!

9. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    As a former t Coupe owner myself, I know you're going to have a very happy time with this car, including when you reflect on its very sensible price for everything that you get with it.

There have been other threads about the t on FChat, on some of which i have rambled on, so won't pre-repeat any of that here. One reflection occurs, however:

Most Ferrari owners are skittish about parking in lots because of potential damage to their doors from close-parking/door-opening clods.

The Mondial-t happens to have a very nice "beltline" which lends itself to a carefully-applied thin strip of black rubber protective molding, available inexpensively at most auto parts stores. Since your t is black, a black strip would blend in all the more nicely. Protects your doors/side panels. I did it to my (grey) t and it looked very nice and earned its keep by absorbing more than a couple of hits. Just a thought.

Another: If you're ever in the mood, the wheels made by Ferrari for the 348 fit the Mondial-t as well, and look very striking on it. It comes with the 1989 328 wheels, and I didn't think they quite suited it, as it was definitely a next-generation model.

They didn't originally come with spare wheels/tires, but one will fit in that front well if you want.

No one knows why Ferrari deleted the glove box on the t but left a faux "cover" there. Suggestion: Order another "Mondial-t" script emblem, as on the rump of the car, and apply it there.

You can still order the Schedoni custom luggage set brand-new for the t in the Owners Area of the FerrariWorld website. If you do, be prepared for some sticker shock, however.

Have great fun! :)

10. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Good choice. A lot of bang for the buck.

Welcome to the club!

Allen

11. gmark340

gmark340 Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good idea on the black rubber protective molding. I'll check it out. I had thought about getting some magnetic strips that I could just stick on when I parked so I'll start at a local auto store. This car will be a frequent driver and, while I won't go out of my way to stick it in crowded parking spots, I will have to park it and leave it once in a while. In black, it's not so obvious as an Fcar so I'm hoping it won't attract unwanted attention. By the way, it did come with the spare. I like the 348 wheels but the car came with new Pirelli 7000s on it so I probably will leave well enough alone for now. I have the original tool kit, minus one wrench unless it was found before it was shipped to me, and the owner's manual and records. The car sat for periods of time in its life but was well worked over by a good Ferrari mechanic. The floormats are not original but most everything else on the car, as far as I can determine, is OEM. The rebuilt transmission and new clutch present some real stiff shifting, and no second gear, before the car is fully warmed up but I'm expecting that to improve with mileage. Getting into first when just starting out sometimes requires going into reverse and then straight back to first.

So far, I have really enjoyed the driving and encountered only a few other problems: The door key broke and I only had one. I'll call the nearest dealer to see if they can make one from the key number or I may spot weld the key and see if a copy can be made from it.

The driver side turn indicator is flashing fast, in a way that I take to mean one of the bulbs is inop but both front and back appear to be blinking. I'll take them out of their lenses to see if there is a broken filament and they have just defaulted to the parking light filament.

The fan for the heater (that time of year in NJ) seems to run only in an "off" or a "full on" position, despite the fact that the knob looks to be a rheostat which should provide variable speeds.

The State of NJ requires a license plate on the front of the car. I can rig one for inspection but what have others done? I may choose not to keep it on for regular driving since there really is no place for it.

Finally, I may be attempting to have the only off-road Fcar I have heard about. I have to leave the asphalt and take a short dirt road to get to my place. There is the odd bottoming-out sound as I drive in but I'm learning how to avoid the high spots. That's not something wrong with the car, just something I will have to cope with. I left my camera in the office so I'll catch up with pics this week.

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Congrats!!!!!

Can't wait to see pics of her.

Drive in good health.

Cheers, Hank

13. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Congratulations on your new acquisition - you're clearly a man of discerning taste.

14. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    A t coupe!!!

That is a rare bird indeed.

15. Litespeed

Litespeed Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Looking for my first F-car and I want a Mondial Coupe.Hard to find and 2 long trips so far to find one.Congrats!

16. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Congrats on the T Coupe! Only 40 were imported into the States. I looked for one for two years to no avail. Even placed a deposit with Ferrari of Washington for 8 months and they could not even locate a nice example to sell. I just purchased a clean 1986 Mondial Coupe that I am very happy with (despite the metric tires).

Litespeed. Keep looking patiently. Eventually, the right car will pop up.

17. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Congratulations ! ! ! Please post some pictures when you have a chance. We always enjoy looking at one of Sophia's sisters.

We've had Sophia since August '04. She's been the perfect
    Ferrari for us and we become even happier each time we take her out for a run.

Now the fun begins. Enjoy.

John

18. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Gmark, congrats, you're going to like that car. I've also had a bunch of 5-series BMW's and while they are quality cars they don't have the exotic/rare quality of your t coupe. It's like having you're own little piece of Italy in the garage. There are some relatively easy upgrades for you car that do make a worthwhile difference - things such as a performance exhaust (with cats removed), redline gearbox oil for better cold shifting, k&n air filter, stainless brake lines, etc. Have fun and drive!

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Mondial T coupe is a great car. Congrats, and get some pics posted!

20. gmark340

gmark340 Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #20 gmark340, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I appreciate all the well wishes and, after driving the car for a while now, can see why you are all enthusiastic. I finally took a few pictures, posted here. Note the car's new home (read that "dusty" dirt lane) and what appear to be non-OEM carpets. Now that I've dusted off the camera, I'll take some more pictures shortly.

There are those of you who might find my door key replacement story amusing. I only had one door key and managed to break it off in the lock on about the second day I had the car. In looking around for a replacement, I got right into the Fcar experience, seeing prices of $50-70 for a replacement blank. I didn't order one of those because I couldn't determine whether my key was exactly like any of them (and had some trepidation about paying that much for a key blank). Instead, I went to a local locksmith (Italian, of course) who took one look at my broken key and pronounced it from a Yugo! He was able to copy two new keys for me from the broken pieces. They work fine and the total cost, plus tax, was $6.25. I hope I'm as lucky on future work.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Mark, you might want to have someone look at the linkage. Perhaps not all is right since the trans was reinstalled?
    Beautiful Mondial you have im partial to black myself.

22. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Mark, you can get original Ferrari door key blanks from Daniel at Ricambi for around $35. Will likely be the least expensive thing you ever buy for the car....

23. gmark340

gmark340 Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I discussed the linkage stiffness with the mechanic who did the work, and he felt it would take about 1,000 miles to loosen up after the transmission re-build, particularly for the first to second shift. The car only has 300 miles on it since he did it so I'll give it a while longer. I also want to keep a list of anything else that should be looked at before I bring it to anyone so I can do everything at once. This car is turning out to be my daily driver so I won't want to give it up to the shop needlessly.

Daniel pointed me in the direction of the correct door key blank but I couldn't match my key to the blank so, for now, I'm a Yugo! As far as the ignition key is concerned, mine looks OEM and I will want to duplicate it so another trip to his web site is in order.

I've fixed the turn indicator. I couldn't get the front lens off to check that bulb so I got at the rear bulbs through the trunk. One bulb had a corroded contact which was easily cleaned up with steel wool. Now it works. I'll go back through them all and put some Stabilant or other connection grease on them to keep this from happening again.

24. gmark340

gmark340 Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm beginning to understand why the members on this list are so passionate about their cars! I've been driving mine just to work for the most part, which is not far away, and the car only seems to warm up just as I get there so it hasn't had a real test until recently. I was finally able to take a longer ride on the highway and had a blast! Shifting is precise and smooth when warmed up. Even though I was trying to stay with traffic, I couldn't resist pushing the car a little to get a sense of its maneuverability. The biggest problem with pushing the car at this time of year in New Jersey, apart from traffic ticket concerns, is a kamikaze deer trying to cross the highway at the wrong time. Not so much of a problem during the day, though. Visibility is superb all around. The car fits like a glove and it is pleasantly agile in overtaking and changing lanes. I really appreciate the smaller steering wheel (compared to what I was used to) and tight steering response. I'll keep using the car as my daily driver until the weather deteriorates here and look forward to any chance to drive it now. It fast became Junior's favorite, although I still have to get the appropriate booster seat for him, which I've seen in other threads here.

The only issue I have has so far is failure to pass the NJ emission test. I will have it in to Classic Coach shortly to fix that and have them reinspect it. With winter approaching, I'm beginning to think of things that should/could be done to the car. I'll also post some more pictures. Thanks again to all who helped point me in this direction!

25. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Mark,
    She looks menacing. Congrats! :)

BTW seeing that you live in NJ, did you check the trunk? :D