Opinions wanted: Best place to live in SoCal? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opinions wanted: Best place to live in SoCal?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ryalex, Dec 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Culver City is a long, narrow stretch of citydom that stretches from La Cienega Blvd. to Marina Del Rey. It is probably the best jumping-off point for L.A.C. and/or O.C.. Pick the right spot and you'll not only be in the right neighborhood at the right price, but can pick and choose between 405 or the 110, given the traffic conditions at that time of day, as surface shortcuts abound, as well.

2. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    For a couple in their twenties, I would not make any final decisions before looking near old town Pasadena/South Pasadena. One drive down Orangegrove and you will understand. We moved here from OC two years ago at the advice of almost all our friends. We have not regretted it one day. My wife even commutes 1:10min each way to Riverside because she now does not want to leave the area. Pasadena offers culture, art, nightlife and a little old money (San Marino, La Canada) nearby. It's in the hills so you dont' get a coastal breeze but it's definitely a city to consider.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks guys for your recommendations... I called around Irvine/Newport and the firms I'm interested in said they couldn't take a first year student, but would be happy to interview me this fall as a 2L (much higher odds of me signing on if I go second summer - they know first summer is less commital).

I might still visit OC this Jan, but I may just hold off and lets firms fly me out there with some wine-and-dine action next fall. We'll see.

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I live in Ventura, which I think is one of the nicest parts of S. California,
    we are right on the beach, veiw of the channel islands, no smog, low crime etc, good hiking too, bike trails also. It is relatively small city about 100,000 about 1 hour north of LA. The temps are about 75 all year long so it is perfect for the Ferrari. I really dont like traffic or crowds so this is even getting a bit too big for my personal tastes. The houses are expensive here, I live in a 3 bd, 1 bath 1000 square foot house which includes the garage, and they are going for about $500,000, but I cant imagine them being any cheaper anywhere else except the desert. If you are making 125 a year you can handle that. I have the house and the Ferrari, the shrine and I make about 40k.

I just got back from a trip down the caist from Oregon, boy it sure is pretty up ther lots of open space but the weather is nowhere as nice.

http://www.ventura-usa.com/

http://www.nps.gov/chis/

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well being a NY'r that has a place in Newport and Beverly Hills when I am, on this coast think of it this way.

OC=conservative rather dull, but predictable (read:stable) family community. Althought the under 21's are rowdy, spoiled, drunkard meth freaks. Not to mention all of OC is crowded. My dad has a home in Orange, almost scary how the whole of OC is built ob a master plan by alien architects (see irvine, aliso, mission, tustin) those places you buy a "#3 with pool, or #6 with a two car garage." Zzzzzzz... I think Oscar Wilde said "consistency is the hallmark of the unimaginative" If you don't know whwere you are the lack of signage will reject you like a bad kidney.

SD is nice but something very backwater, although a nice clean city. My uncle is a tv new anchor for the NBC affiliate. On 125k you can live like a king.

LA is going to be a little more urban yuppie ish, and a Ferrari in Hollywood is by no means special, heck and Enzo on Rodeo drive is almost cliche. And everyone is in 'the biz' You could try the valley. I feel inadequately dressed in Victor and Rolf when I go to get my mail.

909, now I know alot of you will bang on my for this, but Riverside county like Chino Hills is not so bad. My buddy owns a second property there and it is huge compared to what I spent on a tiny place in Newport. 2 words damn hot

Ventura is nice, eventually you will want to make partner and end up in Montecito, but for the most part no worries.

Hmm Calabasas, Moorpark...

6. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    Inland...909 area code...ther are some nice areas. Zero nite life if you want the crowded old town pasadena deal. Though I predict downtown Pomona is the place. Just like Pasadena was a craphole...though it will be slower to come back. They just opened a Starbucks there. They don't play with demographics. It's a sure deal.

I have been house shopping in OC and Studio City. OC is so frickin sterile....but I like some areas. The housing is boring unless you dump big jack.

If you live in OC and want to go to the valley, or vice-versa...you will jump out a window before you make the drive. The 405 is hell any time of day.

I go to both for fun every week...sooo

From Upland/Claremont I can be in Old Town Pasadena in 30 minutes, the valley in 45-50 via the new 210 extension, and Newport in 1 hr on the 57 or toll road.

Claremont is a place where you have community...and see the same folks. Some of the best colleges in the world.

Another place? La Habra Heights. Nice. Big lots. Ranch style. Tough building codes...even putting up too many lights gets you in trouble. They want a "country" atmosphere.

7. rsrx

rsrx Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Alphonse
    This is my first post on this site, so first of all, hello to all you lucky FERRARI owners.

I am 34 and I have lived in Southern California for 32 years. I grew up in the Hollywood Hills, lived under the Hollywood sign and it was great growing up here.

I have a lot of friends who are attorneys, and my mother is also an attorney. My attorney friends live in Venice, Santa Monica, Studio City, Santa Clarita, and La Canada.

These are all great places to live. It just depends on where you feel confortable living and as one person stated, how far do you want to drive.

If you need any specific questions feel free to drop me a line. I

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    I wish, I would live there gents;-(
    No winter, no snow, 365 days a year drive outs.....

No way, no green-card. So, I just know the SoCal area from several business trips each year.

I have seen such great places to live like:
    - Balboa Island / OC......awesome great place & surrounding and close to Newport Autosport to serve the car;-) And no problem with the damn 405....take your boat or a helicopter to go downton L.A. :D
    Or whats about:
    -Palm Desert...love it!!!! And no 405! Great Golf Places and easy/quick to go to L.A.

HAPPY NEW YEAR sunny SoCal from cold Germany

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

9. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    So Cal is overcrowded as it is so if you want to "fit in" we have some conditions....

Do not keep telling us it is just not "home." We do not care.

No, the food is not as good as back "home." Deal with it.

Yes, the weather is different. We know.

If you are afraid of earthquakes, go back to your hurricanes, blizzards and tornados. You get them a lot more often than we get 'quakes, but we make better scary movies about our disasters.

If you really do not like it here, go away. There are too many poeple who stay and ***** about it.

Outside of that, welcome!

Scott

10. Sensational1

Sensational1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Michael Basic
    Palos Verdes! Can't complain!

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Quite a first post Scott...

12. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    <<< Quite a first post Scott... >>>

Yea..jeepers...

Same deal when Californians move to oregon or Washington state. I don't understand that vibe. It's so silly.

I think most Californians welcome others with open arms. I mean...you just don't think about it.

13. ollie

ollie Karting

Oct 7, 2001
    San Juan Capistrano
    Full Name:
    Oliver B. Cagle
    San Clemente, Orange County, 25 years in the area.

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

Don't bother looking at the scale: what's important is the speed on the freeway. It can take 1 hour from Santa Monica to the courthouse on Hill Street. I don't live in So Cal, and I don't because even though the weather is great, scenery is great, there are about 10 million people too many in the area, and that leads to an average speed of about 10 - 15 mph on the freeways, except at 3am.

If you must live there, Orange County has a lot of good firms, with great clients. Bottom line: what type of law are you looking to practice? If it involves appearances at court, pick a location that will get you a reverse commute when you have to show up for cattle call, or motions.

Art

15. Stewardsdream

Stewardsdream Rookie

Nov 5, 2005
    Hi. I live in upstate NY and my husband and I are interested in relocating to the So Cal area. My question is this: He will be making approx. $150k a year and we are very concerned that $150k a year is barely enough to live comfortably there. Is this true? Can you afford a nice house in a nice area on this salary?
    Any advice, info., and/or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

16. jpress

jpress Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2005
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Any decent house in LA & surrounding cities starts a little over 500K on up. I'm sure 159K/yr is ample to live here, it is not as bad as you think. You can even buy a Ferrari too while you are here and visit Crystal Cove in Newport Beach, which by the way has nothing less than 1 Mil$ homes....

17. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Man talk about bringing a thread back from the dead.

$150k a year well....., it depends on were you live as to what the houses cost. With the way prices are you don't get very much house for $650K. A house on the same block as mine is for sale at $595K, and is about 1,600 sq/ft. Up the next block there is another one for sale at $640K, and is around 1,750 sq/ft. Then a mile down the road there is one for sale at $815K, that one is around 3,100 sq/ft.

The home prices in Cali are insane.

18. Stewardsdream

Stewardsdream Rookie

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks for the responses! I do know that the price for homes in CA. is crazy, just trying to get an idea if it is as bad as everything I've heard.
    We just built a home here in upstate NY...its about 3,500 sq. ft. w/ approx. 50 acres and on a privet lake. (I realize that it will be impossible to find anything in CA. even close to what we have here but I still would love to live there.) I was just hoping we could find a nice home in the So Cal area for around $700-750k .... am I dreaming?? What do you think?? (We do have the opportunity to choose what area we want to buy in as long as it is in the So Cal area, as that is where my husbands company is.)
    Thanks again to everyone who continues to "enlighten" me!

19. fiat850

fiat850 Karting

May 17, 2005
    Fountain Valley, Ca
    Full Name:
    Minh
    Instead of telling you where to move to, I can tell you where not to move to. Stay away from Fountain Valley!!! City's motto is "a nice place to live". No way! Crime here sucks! My gf's celica got broken into saturday at 2pm in the afternoon in a parking lot, they shattered the passenger window and cracked the windsheild and only took off w/ my face plate and some stuff in the glove box! $500 worth of damage for $100 worth of goods! I also had my car cover stolen off my Fiat during day light also!!! And did I mention that my full-race Integra was stolen off my driveway four years ago at 7 in the morning. oh, and how I came home from work to find CSI on my front yard because a gun was thrown into my yard!!! My friend down the street from me had his rims stolen off his driveway also. I'm sorry, I've only lived in Fountain Valley for 6 years and I hate it here! I'd move back to Santa Monica anyday! Loved that place!

Just in case you didn't get my message.... STAY AWAY FROM FOUNTAIN VALLEY!

20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Love the Pasadena/La Canada area. Different than the beach cities and has a charm of its own. Home prices are starting to soar though. $/sq. ft average around $500-$600+. $750K might get you a nice old California bungalow, but nowhere near the 3500 sq ft you currently have and definitely not 50 acres.

21. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

Robert, i saw you in the F car in pierpont a couple months ago, cars looking good, next time your out for a cruze drive by my place, im on shelburn lane, bout half way up on the left, look for the 3 rocks in the front yard, come through the back gate, front is a rental, im usaully there on the weekends, Craig

22. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I think you need to narrow down your area a bit.
    SoCal is a BIIIIIIIIIIIG area.

Where is your husbands company located? How often does he need to go there in person?

Long commutes make for low quality of life.

And in parts of SoCal a 20 mile commute can take an hour. :(

23. LOTUS1

LOTUS1 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Rancho Mirage
    The South Bay Area is the place to live as it has great foods, good shopping centers, great communities, good schools, close to airports, you basically can't go wrong. The South Bay Area includes: Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, Palos Verdes, El Segundo and maybe one or two other cities I forgot but, this area, in my opinion is the best. I'm one of those few Californians that is born and raised here, going on 35 years and I absolutely love this area. I think the best bang for the buck would be Torrance (west & south preferrably). Like most has said before me, just really depends how much you want to spend and how close to work you want to live. Good Luck and when you do make the transition, WELCOME!

24. Stewardsdream

Stewardsdream Rookie

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my inquiry. I do have a better idea now of where to look and what to expect.
    I also want to add, what I have heard about "California people" is all true...you are obviously some of the nicest people around! Thanks again to all!

25. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

You really have to tell everyone where the job you have to go is, and when. You live and die by freeways and what time you hit the road. Thankfully I work at home.

I live in North Upland and love it. But it's dead a nite. You do however get a great feeling of community in downtown Claremont by the colleges during the 4th of July party, concerts in the park, etc.

I go to Orange county or Los Angeles every other weekend or more and you can get to both super fast if you go early. Then fly from Ontario.

I had though more than once about moving. If I did I think I wiuld be up near lake Encino of Ventura blvd. But then that cuts out OC. So I get to Pasadena in 35 min, LAX south bay 1hr, Newport 45 min. Because you can work with the 210 to get to:

57/5 south

605 south to 105 91 etc

The 2 to downtown and Hollywood / wLA etc