328: Strange engine noise: | FerrariChat

328: Strange engine noise:

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Oct 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    During a leisurely drive at modest speeds yesterday, my 328 developed a strange noise on top of the normal engine noises.

I'd describe it as resembling the noise a dog or cat makes when it scratches at a door wanting to be let out. Its frequency is about once a second or a bit quicker, and the volume rises and falls at random. I tried to see what would happen if I revved the engine, but then the engine noise masks the scratching sound so I can't hear it. At least I know that its volume does not increase with rpms.

I looked in the engine bay with the engine running and could not see or smell anything out of the ordinary. Performance while the sound was happening seemed to be unaffected. All gauges read normally.

Any theories?

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Wheel bearing?

Ken

3. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    Belt idler bearing?

4. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Did you get a plastic grocery bag stuck under the car?

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, it can't be a wheel bearing, since I also hear the noise with the car idling at rest. Belt idler bearing? I don't know much about them, but I guess that's a possibility. Plastic bag? I doubt it, but the next time I pull the car out in daylight I'll see what I can see around the belts to see if there is anything visible.

Thanks for the responses. Any other theories?

6. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Check to see if the following hoses are contacting the body in the engine bay:

A/C lines off of the compressor

Oil cooler lines

more probably the a/c lines around where the engine intake tubing contacting eachother. this causes the vibration of the engine to carry to the chassis and the intake tube. the a/c lines must be as isolated as possible to elimnate and noise.

best regards and good hunting

jim

7. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Just thought that my 355 had a similar noise which turned out to be the ac belt or the alternator belt. Easy way to check is to buy some belt conditioner in a spray can and apply to belts and if noise goes away you know the solution , new belts. My noise was mainly when cold and it was a flick , flick sound just like the belt had something stuck to it that was flicking something, this was not the case though.

8. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Do you get the sound when you are driving ie. 20 mph and just turn off the engine and let it coast??

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    In Massachusetts, I'd sometimes get that kind of sound just after starting on cold, dry mornings. It didn't stay past warm-up, and there was no problems found at the service. The theory was that it was electrostatic buildup in the belts, like a Van de Graaff generator.

10. mhm4223

mhm4223 Rookie

Nov 14, 2004
    Perrineville, MJ
    Full Name:
    Michael Merkin
    Remove your drive belts to see if noise is still there. Also grab your waterpump pulley and see if there is any play in the shaft. I just had the same problem with my 1986 328 GTS and found the waterpump front bearing was shot causing the problem. It gave no other indication of a problem because it was not leaking nor was it running hot. Also spin your drive belt idler pulleys and make sure they spin smoothly.

11. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I had a slight clicking noise coming from my mondial's engine bay and found that it was my a/c belt not tight enough. The bolt to do this is on top of and behind the compressor towards the fire wall. You have to take the air intake off. Not sure about the 328 but layout should be generally the same. Mine still clicks for a few minutes until the car gets hot but not continually like before.
    hope this helps,
    Nate

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This noise disappeared and was replaced by a "clattering" noise (see my other thread). Ironically, my mechanic (who's coming over tomorrow), suspects that an accessory belt, possibly the a/c compressor belt, might be at fault. You might be right, Nate!