Porsche junkie getting back into the Ferrari game - Challenge Stradale questions | FerrariChat

Porsche junkie getting back into the Ferrari game - Challenge Stradale questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by wolfturbo, Nov 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    After a prolonged detour into the world of never-ending car depreciation (read Porsche ownership), I'm getting back into the Ferrari game. My last one was a 550M. This time I want a 360CS. Got a few basic questions:

1) Do the "CS experts" here think that the Stradales will ultimately be regarded as something special, or will they ultimately be regarded as just another flavor of 360?

2) Any gremlins or issues that I need to look out for during my PPI? I am aware of the creaking suspension, but that is about it.

3) I realize that there are very few options on this car, but are any considered "must have". For instance, is the full alcantara interior considered a "must have"?

Lastly, I have stalked a few cars, but if anybody has referrals to any low mileage nice cars, I would appreciate the heads-up. Please shoot me a PM if you know of any motivated sellers. Best regards to all.

Wolf

2. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #2 Jack(LA), Nov 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    It's great car, and nicely slimmed down. Please don't add a radio. That's just wrong.
    I love classic Ferrari red (Rosso Corsa) with a stripe. The Rosso Scuderai is made for TV but looks orange in sunlight.

This is really the car the 360 should have originally been. It will hold its value much like the 512M derivative of the Testarossa is significantly more valuable today than any other version (Testarossa, 512 TR)

4. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    #4 scud, Nov 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    any excuse jack to post pics again :D
    make sure wolfie boy you TRACK HARD
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    while the potential is certainly there for the car to be singled out as special (and imo it truly is), only time will tell. the F512M was far more limited production, so that's held its value interestingly. 512TRs seem to have hit the bottom of their price range - notably higher than Testarossas, so that's encouraging. but there were plenty of CSs made. if you want to hold value, stay away from red, imo.

other than the suspension, nothing major (so far). but do search the archives.

i will disagree on the radio. unless you will primarily use it as a track car, NOT having the radio is a bit of a resale liability imo/fwiw. i think alcantara interior is a MUST. the leather totally doesn't fit in this car (again, imo/fwiw). imo, over time, the stripe will be devalued. it's easy to add a stripe graphic, it's nigh impossible to remove a factory one. i'd stick with a non-stripe car (again, imo/fwiw).

good luck with your search. it is a very special car and you'll enjoy it immensely!

doody.

6. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    Rob,

See http://www.ferrarina.com. I just browsed the Dealer/Marketplace section and saw at least 7-10 very nice Stradales for sale at authorized Ferrari dealers. If you have an eye on an eventual F430, purchasing from a dealer may help you get your name on the wait list.

As far as I know, there are no major issues with the Stradales. The suspension creak is minor, and as far as I know, there is no permanent fix for it. The dealer will lube bushings and bolts, but the creaking comes back after awhile.

The main decision factors are color, stripe & alcantara vs. leather. All personal preferences in my opinion. For highest resale, I'd go non-red, no-stripe, alcantera large seats.

And besides, you know your Strad will only be a stepping stone to a F40/F50/Enzo ;)

7. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    550 and a CS, a good combination! See my profile!

Something special yes, but I'm taking a pessimistic view and assuming my car's value will track slightly above a 360. We'll all see!

Not much since the CS was the last of the 360's. It is very well debugged. There were a few minor recalls (wheel bolts, etc.) and a few non-recall issues (ECU reflash for proper starting, suspension noise, etc.)

I hate my radio POD under the dash and the speakers between the seats. I like the stripe, but the Ferrari community is divided. The fire extingusher is an easy access safety item.