Notice How Lately/ Discusted | FerrariChat

Notice How Lately/ Discusted

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by msdesignltd, Nov 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is it me or have you been noticeing lately how so many car manufacturers are copying mercedes design cues.....Um the ford 500 is a direct knock off of the E class Mercs.No other car shows up design cues copied as much as the E class.....Saw the new Kia sport ute...identical shape to the new ML class merc. Have you seen the new infinity, thats a CLS clone right off the bat.So many acuras look like they borrow parts off BMW....
    What ever happenned to originality?

List other examples of such atrocities

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i think in the quest for the most slippery shape or best coefficient of drag, all sedans will take on a similar look as the wind tunnel will ultimately drive the design.

3. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    but the similarity of the lexus line to the MBZ line, that might be a little too close.

additionally in reference to auto Cd, the C6 vette which most would say is a sleek shape, has a Cd of ~.26. the toyota prius, a regular econo looking car, has a Cd of .24. this means that a more sleek car doesnt necessarily have less drag, so im not gonna buy that the car has to look like a certain way [like a MBZ] to be more efficient.

if they were looking for better efficiency they should use full underbody panels, and other ground effects to achieve that. i believe the stylings look similar, because who would pay 60k for a MBZ, when they could buy a lexus that looks similar for 45k? its all marketing and such (which i admittedly know very little about as im an engineering student) which seems to make the most sense as the solution to this problem