Top Gear in the states | FerrariChat

Top Gear in the states

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by austin75, Nov 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. austin75

austin75 Guest

Nov 7, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Austin
    What happened to top gear on discovery channel does Any one have a clue to why they took the best show on tv off the air....as i have said before makes me very angry

2. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well, there's the conspiracy theory about it.

Basically it boils down to this. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Jeremy Clarkson wrote an editorial for _The Sun_ entitled "Flood that released America's Demons" in which he was less-than-complementary. Indeed, he wondered how the “most powerful nation on earth could be so crippled by a bit of wind and rain" and then offered this bon mot: “America may have given the world the space shuttle and, er, condensed milk, but behind the veneer of civilization most Americans barely have the brains to walk on their back legs.”

Add to this his vision of the "default setting" of American public authorities
    ("violence") and, well, the Discovery Channel might well have taken the show off to avoid criticism...

- begin quoted material -
    " I’m not talking about the armed gangs now. I’m talking about the authorities who, rather than try to feed the poor and needy, summoned the Marines and started acting like they were in a Hollywood film.
    “They’ve got M16s which are locked and loaded,” said one official. And I bet she hadn’t the first idea what “locked and loaded” meant. She’d just heard Bruce Willis say it at some point and figured it sounded good.
    Hollywood has taught America that the military can solve anything. It’s full of chisel-jawed heroes who never leave a man on the field and never fail to get the job done. So they’d have New Orleans sorted out in a jiffy.
    Unfortunately, on the street you’ve got some poor, starving souls helping themselves to a packet of food from a ruined, deserted supermarket. And as a result, finding themselves being blown to pieces by a helicopter gunship. With the none-too-bright soldiers urged on by their illiterate political masters, the poor and needy never stood a chance. It’s easier and much more fun to shoot someone than make them a cup of tea. Especially if they’re black."
    -end quoted material-

3. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    The following is excerpted from an E-mail my brother received from Discovery Channel when he asked the same question:

Thank you for contacting Discovery Channel. We appreciate you taking the
    time to share your thoughts and concerns with us regarding "Top Gear."
    Your comments will be forwarded to our program management and executives
    and will be taken into consideration.

The "Top Gear" show was not "taken off the air" but rather ran its pattern.
    It is being revamped for a U.S. audience and will return later this year.
    Look for it in December.

4. austin75

austin75 Guest

Nov 7, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Austin
    Thats really good to know , by far the best show out there today.