TR Air Cond. Compressor rebuild? | FerrariChat

TR Air Cond. Compressor rebuild?

Discussion in '308/328' started by carguy, Nov 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My TR's air conditioning compressor/pump went bad, or so I believe. To repair a gas tank I had to disconnect the AC. Since I don't mind hot weather I never got around to recharging the system....but I did hook everything back up. After a couple of weeks the compressor starts making a clattering sound like a bad lifter. I removed the compressor to take it to get checked out and repaired. But again I've procrastinated since having AC isn't crucial for me. The time has finally arrived to where I need to get the pump checked out. It is a Sanden unit I think, my car is a 1987 TR. Does anyone have an approximate idea what I can expect to pay for a rebuild of this pump? I assume it went bad because I ran the car without a charge in the AC system and the pump starved for lubrication?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Jeff -- This is a little dated (and I didn't pursue it), but in Feb 2004 Cindy at Aircoparts (in Ontario, CA) quoted $220 (and less than a day) to rebuild my Sanden 508 model 9295:

http://www.aircoparts.com/CARS/ferrari.htm

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank You Steve.....my TR's new owner wanted to know what kind of repair bill he is looking at. He will be picking up the car in about two weeks. I'm a little sad to see the ol'e girl go....but looking forward to my next Testarossa. Hopefully I have better luck with the next one.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I misunderstood your question Jeff -- I assumed that you were doing and coordinating the project at your cost. For the agreed sales price difference it should probably be ~10X that number IMO.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Steve, the compressor is off the car and I was assuming it could simply be sent in for refurbishing.