More on Ferrari VS BMW | FerrariChat

More on Ferrari VS BMW

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Carbonrider, Nov 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Having, not long ago, moved from an M5 to a 575M I knew that, as modern and luxury GT oriented the 575 might be, there will be some electric gadgets I will miss. Mind you, this is my daily drive, not my weekend fun.

Quite surprisingly, there is not much that I miss… I have upgraded the Stereo system and added a Satnav (it is a long distance GT car and I hate reading driving 180mph on the Autobahn). Quite frankly the stereo and Satnav were never one the M5 strongest points anyway to say the least.
    I much prefer the simple climate control in the Ferrari over the complicated, digitally controlled, dual zone in the BMW – the knobs are big and clear, I do not have to take my eyes of the road to adjust them and in fact, I hardly need to adjust them at all – much easer to get the desired equilibrium.

Mind you, I only had an E39 M5, not that Bangled, Gizmo over loaded E60 (I do find them so over-gizmoed, almost make the driver redundant).

I do miss, very occasionally, the parking distance control… at 5’6” I do not have exactly a peripheral vision of the car’s extreme (I do like sitting very low which does not help). But I have learned how to park the car ‘blindly’ and in reality, it’s not that bad.

Laugh as much as you want, the single most desirable feature the Ferrari does not have (from my perspective) is heated seats… doh! I hate sitting on cold leather seats in a cold winter morning :)

A friend that made a similar move but to a 550 had a slightly different point of view… what he misses about the M5 is the knowledge that it WILL start in the morning, comes rain or snow. Comparing the two Maranellos, the improvement in build quality is very noticeable and I must say I have no such quivers.
    All that while my previous M5 just had its second engine rebuild… with 26,000milles on the clock

Would be interesting to here other people’s thoughts on the matter…

2. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They are both compromised cars: the M5 is a supersaloon which has the same practicality as any other 5 series, goes like stink, but looks just like any other 5 series with a bodykit and big wheels. The 575 is a supercar which still has some practicality (boot space, visibility etc) but doesnt have the killer looks of a Murci. There are pros and cons for each, its just a case of which attributes you value the most.

3. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    The 575 is also a fine Grand Tourer. A Murci is not.

4. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Cannot fail that logic but wouldn't you say the same about M3?
    P.S can you think of a car that is not compromised? The Zonda comes very close - at least from what I have heard -as it does both GT and Sport better then most. But luggage space still severely limits the distance you will be able to travel if nothing else.

So true...

I have had grand tours with both the M5 and the 575. Braking down from 170 - 180 on the Autobahn (I had the M5 delimited) I would much rather be in the Ferrari (doing that in the M5 I had my heart jumping up my throat each time).
    On the other hand, you can bring back much more fine Belgian beers in an M5 :)

5. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I believe that a car has to suit your lifestyle, and sometimes getting a car which doesnt fit in with what you are all about ends up being an uncomfortable experience. I had a TR and could only use it on weekends because I couldnt do the commuting to work and back in it, and I could go to clients in it (they would think I was charging them too much!). I do miss the buzz I got out of driving it and being seen in it, but now I get an everyday buzz (thought not as big). Swings in roundabouts.

6. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agreed but a Murci makes an entrance like no other (apart from Enzo, Pagani), and at £120K for a 2002 I think its a steal!

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Even the lime greeen one kicking around Burton/Neston?

8. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Cannot argue with that... just sited one of these sparkling mid-blue murci in the City... look and sounds are simply amazing.
    As a matter of fact, the sound was not way different then the 575...

With Tubi of course. The stock 575 sounds like sh**

I am learning to appreciate the ability of the Mara to make an entrance while being rather sublime. I still find myself admiring its delicate and elegant shape every day when I approach it in the car park.
    At 110K for a 2004 / 2000milles... thats even more a steal.

9. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Maybe that one is a step toooooooooooo far!

10. Stuh

Stuh Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    Bucks
    CarbonRider - Think i recognise you from Bm5w?

Glad to hear the transition is going well! I've luckily got the M5 and an an FCar, albeit a pesky V8 :D

How do you find the comparison peformance wise?

11. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    Me and no other

With all fairness, both cars are fast, but the 575 is FAST! it has nearly 30% more BHP and about 15% more torque and you definitely feel it. Also, albeit both waiting 1700 kg, the BMW KGs feel heavier. The M5 was too soft to my taste, too much body roll. Neither did I particularly like the vague steering and the vaguer gearshift (even after installing an SSK). The Ferrari is no Elise but in terms of cornering and precision comes closer then you would have expected given the difference in size, weight and weight distribution. I am planning on putting P Zero Corsa instead of the Roso I have currently once these are done Apparently this is the single most effective upgrade you can do to the car.
    I do find the steering wheel to be too power assisted though.

Driving on the Autobahn, I felt that the M5's natural speed is around 120mph - 130. I never felt confident trying to take it beyond 150mph. It was also very difficult to achieve such a fast speed on the busy autobahn as it did take too long to accelerate whenever the road was clear. In comparison, the Maranello feels very natural at 150mph, even 180mph felt great.

As I said earlier, the single most critical difference I found was breaking from such high speed. Again, the Fezza is so much more confidence inspiring.

12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Speaking to people with newer Ferrari's (than I have) they say this is the biggest difference between a Ferrari and other "performance" cars. They might not always accelerate at the same pace as other cars, but they do achieve higher speeds easier and with much more stablility.

13. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    I am sure that there are some cars that accelerate better the the 575. But at less then 10 sec to 100mph it all gets a bit academic.
    Where acceleration does play a part is in how quick you get back to hyper speed when your lane clears by that last 100 mph driving uber saloon that insisted on getting in your way