Know your Ferrari - with a prize | FerrariChat

Know your Ferrari - with a prize

Discussion in 'Australia' started by creafield, Nov 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #1 creafield, Nov 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, I will submit a photo of a car with a few questions. An ongoing competition, with points for correct answers adding up. I will donate a suitable bottle of wine, from the cellar, once every month or so for the person with the most points - ONLY within Australia.

This is the first photo
    1. What model Ferrari (full designation) - 1 point
    2. Which years manufactured - 2 points
    3. Motor size in litres - 1 point
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Great idea!

Here's my first attempt:

1. 275GTS
    2. 1964-66 (launched at the Paris Motor Show in October 1964, sold up until May 1966)
    3. 3.3 litre Colombo V12

3. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    and the woman sitting in the passenger seat, is she wearing a g string cos there is no VPL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

save ferris

4. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I might've been interested to know the answer to that one too if she was 20 years younger!

5. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    nothing wrong with jelly bellies (slap em on the arse and ride the waves)

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    it's an OHOS and any even one made would have been one too many. any that are left should be destroyed. they are a safety hazard

7. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    FWIW they manufactured exactly 200 :)

8. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    It's a 275GTS
    built as mentioned 1964-66, about 200 built, 3.3l SOHC V12
    and the pic looks like it was taken at Concorso Italiano!
    I won't take your wine however - enjoy the drink!

9. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Intersting pic Filly, I hope it lost points at the show for having the incorrect steering wheel! I'm assuming that all 275 GTS's, even series two ones like that car should have the wheel with the perforated spokes).

Regards,

Carl.

10. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Interesting viewpoint PP, seeing as you are old enough to have bought one new off the showroom floor!

11. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm an OHOS too, and they definitely made one too many!

12. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    OK, 24 hours later ... RMV and Andrew get full points. Carl would've (I suspect) but did'nt answer the question, so no points for him. 2nd part to the above photo.

1. Give 3 "external " differences between the early cars and the later ones (275 GTS's) - 3 points

2. The 1962 Corvette Stingray and the 1963 Corvette Stingray roadster have an intersting body (excluding badges) similarity. As does the 275 GTS and the 365 GTS .. What is it? - 2 points.

Andrew -photo was taken at the FCA Concours at Quail Lodge 2004, there were 3 x 275 GTS's. I took all the photos with a Nikon F80 with a 24-120 lens, and had them converted to a disc when I had the photos developed in Monterey. Total cost for 450 photos, about $350 USD... quite a good digital camera could have been bought !!!

This is the final questions on this photo. For the next photo quiz RMV has to wait 24 hours before responding :)

13. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl

14. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    OK end of quiz for that one.

Carl - Got 3 points for 1, 5 and possibly 2(??). The extra diffrence I noted was the rear view mirror moved from on the dash top to the top of the windscreen.
    Side by side, for me, the most OBVIOUS differences were:
    The 11 slot fender vents a la series 1 330 GT 2+2 versus the later 3 slot vents, with chrome surround as per series 2 330GT (as seen in this one).
    The chrome decorative strip in later ones.
    The internal rearview mirror.
    Also the early one I saw in 2004 did'nt have the Pininfarina badging on either side below the engine vents.
    Of the 4 later ones I saw in 2004, they all had badging on both sides (as I recall).
    Slotted versus solid steering wheels - I have seen several period photos of solid wheels, although Bluemel's book does show slotted ??

So RMV and Andrew = 4, Carl = 3.

BTW Carl why the Corvette problem. I reckon the rear end of the 62 and 63 cars are identical, as is the rear end of the 275 GTS and 330\365 GTS ???

15. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #15 creafield, Nov 14, 2005
    What is this the engine bay of? = 2points

You are judging this car at a Concours. The maximum deductible in engine bay is
    "Correct engine = 5 points"
    "External Condition of Engine and Ancillaries = 3 points"
    "Oil Fuel water lines = 4 points"
    "Throttle linkage = 2 points"
    0.5 point for incorrect finish thru to wrong parts/broken/messy etc will produce a maximum points loss.
    What is your score ??

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It's a Daytona Spider, and these can be a bit tricky as they have a lot of detail differences from the Coupe. It does have the correct metal wheel arches for a spider. It is missing the air cleaner and has silly "hotrod" induction tubes on the carbies. The oil and water lines are all over the place and the fuel lines are not the correct material.
    Off the top of my head that's about it.

Score? Well it's got the correct engine and it's nice and shiny; but not much else.

17. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    Damn - 360C is even more of an anorak than me...He showed it by winning the Drive Day Quiz on the Rally. I thought I had a good tiebreaker question but he even aced that...

From your question it's not clear what the 'starting point' for the scoring is. Out of 20 points? I, not having extensive Daytona experience, would knock
    off
    2 points for external condition/cleanliness (nothing is perfect! - I usually deduct at least 2 points as the next car along may be better, so you need to have a reserve score for the perfect car)
    Oil/Fuel/Water - 3 points off. Fuel & oil lines wrong/all over the shop, but coolant hoses OK I guess?
    Throttle linkage? - seems fine to me? May have been better hidden by the aircleaners...
    I would probably deduct 8 points overall, depending again what the total for the section was. If it's out of 20 points total, that may be a bit harsh, if it's out of 40 points total, would be closer to the mark I guess. When I judge I usually take off about 10% anyway before I start, just so that I have a margin to work with in case I come across a 'near perfect' car.
    Carl - time for your opinion!

18. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Yeah, sad really........................ I don't even LIKE Daytona's.

19. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #19 creafield, Nov 14, 2005
    Andrew - the starting point is the points I indicated. The deductions are 0.5 point for incorrect finish, mildly dirty, thru to the maximum for each part. That is the points are deducted according to what you see on that car, not comparing one car to another. Not forgetting that the TOTAL points are only 100, and to get a platinum need >95

This photo of a yellow spider at Pebble Beach, position not quite as good. The other photo is of this red car's interior at Concorso.

20. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I agree!

Regards,

Carl.

21. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Well, it's a 365 GTS/4. I can't see any pollution gear so I assume it's a Euro specification car as opposed to a USA 365 GTB/4 Spider.

I'm certainly no expert on these crates but ignoring Filly points system for a minute:

It appears to have the incorrect later style washer bag
    The sticker on top of the booster is missing.
    I think Daytona radiator caps were either cad plated or zinc passivated, not shiny zinc like that one.
    Why the clamp on the hood strut?
    Long velocity stacks on the carbs...........yuk.
    Pretty sure the master cylinder reservoir is incorrect

So:

"Correct engine = 5 points"
    Well, 5 I guess, I assume it is the correct engine.

"External Condition of Engine and Ancillaries = 3 points"
    3, looks nice.

"Oil Fuel water lines = 4 points"
    Condition? 4, Originality, 2

"Throttle linkage = 2 points"

0.5 point for incorrect finish thru to wrong parts/broken/messy etc will produce a maximum points loss.
    What is your score ??[/QUOTE]

13 minus 4 = 9.

Regards,

Carl.

22. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Just curious Filly, this yellow car. Did it lose points for the wrong nuts on the airbox?

BTW, you can see this is a US car (So 365 GTB/4 Spider), smog pump top right, EGR valve by the cam cover and fast idle device.

Regards,

Carl.

23. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Good point you raised .. why are they called 365 GTB/4 spiders in USA, as opposed to 365 GTS/4's elsewhere? (I don't know)

The Blue bag or the Grey bag - to be honest I cannot pick from the original photo - not forgetting this is a digital image of a film photo
    Looking at the hard copy photo I think it is there as per the yellow car
    I think the radiator cap is correct, the oil filler cap is chromed correctly
    I suspect his struts need re-gassing. We thought the struts were not correct (the yellow cars are correct)
    Only one word to say about velocity stacks .. Kudelka :)
    Master cylinder reservoirs ... splitting hairs here Cyril. Have seen numerous photos of engine bays with both 'types'

Also the wheel arches, in the front, I don't think differ from GTS to GTB. They certainly do in the rear.

Air box nuts in Pebble car (Yellow) ... these, and cam cover nuts are the passion of Howard, as you know. I thought they were OK, as they 'looked' OK, and any car that gets a guernsey at Pebble is not going to have something as significant as those nuts incorrect. Have not talked to Howard about them.
    Phil

24. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    AndrewWA = 4+2 = 6
    Carl = 3+2= 5
    RMV = 4
    360C = 2

BTW. It is NOT the first person who answers correctly. Anyone who thinks they are correct can have a go.
    I have already picked up a few things, just from research.

Preparing next car

25. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    there's one for sale right now, just down from La Cieniga and Santa monica Blvd. LHD of course and black, but in excellent condition.