600 depreciation | FerrariChat

600 depreciation

Discussion in '360/430' started by gougoul, Nov 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Hi,

do you guys think the oncoming 600 will depreciate like the 550/575 did (meaning it's way better to wait a bit and get a used one), or will it keep initially a strong value, like V8s do ?

Thanks.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Has any regular V12 Ferrari not depreciated lkike a stone for the first few years ? Why should this be any different !

3. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Well, the Testarossa had some price hike at some time, no ?

I mean, there is no reason as well for the V8s to be that overrated.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    we just won't know until it hits the market.

has anybody analyzed the depreciation rates of the Maranello -vs- the Testarossa? i remember looking at it a long time ago and being surprised they weren't wildly different.

i think the continued bad depreciation rep though could cause an acceleration. if the 600 isn't that impressive (looking, performing, selling, etc.) i think it might depreciate FASTER than the Maranello only 'cuz the speculators will bail.

and for the avoidance of doubt, a used Maranello is a ridiculously stellar bargain right now. imo, it is without question the finest bang-for-the-buck ferrari available right now.

all the early spy shots suggest to me it's not going to be impressive to look at (yeah yeah, i know they're spy shots). however, all the early performance stats suggest it's going to be pretty impressive.

it'll be interesting to see where they draw the line performance vs. luxe.

doody.

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The 550 enjoyed a very strong resale value(even significant premium for new cars here in US) for 3-4 years.
    A sizeable depreciation started only after 575 was introduced.
    So,to get a good deal on a 600 ,you'll have to wait until 600 Modificata shows up.

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    if you have to worry...

honestly, with the production numbers reaching record heights and ever-increasing prices to match, there's no reason this car should hold any value whatsoever.

will you be able to drive it for a year and walk awak without more than a 25k hit? probably. will you own it for 5 and not find them trouncing around for 1/2 the price? probably not.

--Dan

7. goldyF355

goldyF355 Formula 3

May 30, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Steve G.
    People taking about the potential depreciation on a car that is probably months away from being released.....only on F-chat! :p

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The 550 held value really well until the 360 came out. With the exotic looks and more real world usability of the 360 (compared with the 355) many 550 owners or would be owners switched to the 360. It's hard to say about the 600. It will be more exotic than the 575 and if it has performance close to the 430, it could be a winner, especially if the style is more distinctive than the 550-575.

With the 550 and 360, it became clear that Luca wanted the 12 cylinders to be more traditional GT cars like the 1960's and the V8's became the exotic showcases. Trouble is, the 360-430 cars are big enough and comfortable enough to fit both concepts well with just one car.

Dave

9. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    The "600" will have a HUGE performance gain over the Maranello. That alone, and the fact it's a new car will make it hold it's value well. Also remember the V12s cost more new then the V8s.

10. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    dealers are having problems moving their allotment of 612"s and I predict the same will apply to the 600's.They will depreciate like stones IMO.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

The 612 is a 2+2, not in the same league. 2+2 F-cars were never hot sellers.

12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not true. In the 60's, the 250 GTE, 330 GT and 365 GT outsold their 2 seat counterparts in many instances.

Dave

13. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Yeah, i know it sounds silly to talk about that, but i was just wondering.
    I mean, the Murcielago depreciates like a rock, same for the 550/575 (at least in europe). The only one that holds a strong value, but it's artificial as there is no market to speak of is the Vanquish.
    So i was wondering if i should consider jumping in (knowing that alas, i'm not swimming in gold, so a huge depreciation would hurt me) a new 600, or if i'm better off waiting a while.

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The launch of the 600 should cause 575 values to fall so why not use that as an opportunity to upgrade ?

15. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Yeah, maybe, but i wonder how cool the 575 really is. I mean, i got one of the late 550s, it has the FHP and the stick. I'm really happy with the car.

The only upgrade i'd like, but does it exist ?, would be a 575 with the GTC pack but without the bloody F1.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    If you get an early 600 you'll not lose much for the first year or so but then all bets are off.Otherwise,you'll have to wait longer,until they start losing value,who knows how long though it may take?
    The question whether this car might be a hot "new Daytona" or a 612 type,"just another sports car" will not be answered until we see the real thing.
    Personally,I cancelled my 612 order when saw the pics and specs but I'm plunging in with the 600,no matter what.
    My first new Ferrari and life is too short and unpredictable to wait for the "perfect car"

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 575 hasn't exactly been burning up the sales floor either.

18. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The 575 is essentially an 8 year old model.

19. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Keep in mind the upcoming Ferrari will have much less requirements for maintaince and in my opinion that will bolster resale value in the future.

I imagine the new 600 will have a greater viability as a daily driver should someone want to use it as such.

That tends to lift residuals.

JMO

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Music to my ears.....