Tail Of The Dragon... | FerrariChat

Tail Of The Dragon...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Nov 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i finally did it...!!! It was one of the most exhilirating things of my life...! It was incredible... It's like nothing i've ever done before... If you're not familiar with it, go to www.tailofthedragon.com...

It was about mid-afternoon on Friday when i made up my mind that i would go... i left the office around six and filled up my car... i went home, changed, washed all the glass on my car, made a stop for some Cherry Cokes and off i went... For those of you familiar with the area, you know there are several routes to get to the Tail... i decided to take I 85 N to 985 N (exit 113) and take that directly to US 129, which takes you all the way up through Georgia, through North Carolina and into Tennessee... Some parts of this route were boring, especially following the speed limit as i went right through some towns... Next time i do it, i'm taking Route 60, which will be a bit longer of a ride, but promises to be much more fun...

Robbinsville, the town right before you get to the Dragon is approximately 150 miles from me... Low speed limits and light traffic kept me from getting there until... Well, it was late... But i got there and i ran the dragon under the moonlight, with no one else around... No one in front of me, slowing me down, no one in back of me, pushing me faster... i went at my own pace and enjoyed every bit of it...

On US 129, about an hour and a half before you get to the dragon, there's another stretch of road that's sort of a prelude to the Dragon... It's VERY twisty and each side of the road switches back and forth with one lane and two lanes... On the two lane portions, i apexed every curvy, hilly corner as the headlights from SUVs in my rearview got dimmer and smaller... When i first started up that portion of US 129, i laughed nearly uncontrollably because i just could not believe how twisty this road was... By the time i got to the Tail, my face was stone solid as i was so focused on what i was doing... No discernable emotion shown through my face, but inside, i was screaming with joy... It was really an incredible experience... i think everyone should go at least once... i'm already making plans to go again.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Heh.... from the title I thought it was gonna be a freaky sex story

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i only send those to you, lover...

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    That road is legendary, and having not driven it myself, but only seeing video and descriptions, it seems downright dangerous. From what i understand, all kinds of truck traffic is permitted on it~ don't know if that is still true~ and there were postings on the 'Net a while back, indicating that some idiot was creating oil slicks deliberately at some of the turns.
    Driving it at night is probably a mixed blessing- less traffic, and lower visibility. But, it's on my personal list of 'to drives,' along with the 'Ring. Good for you.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Did you visit the Cougar when you were up north? Now to drive this back on topic.... how long until Uro shows up? He lives there right?

6. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    We're you driving the sebring?

If you were, you're a brave man NNO.I took one on a track once. That things chassis twisted like a sponge.

I have yet to go, but it sounds great.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The Sebring is no more... i've yet to shoot pictures of my new car, but my signature should give you a hint as to what it is... Once i've had some time to take some pictures, i'll post them up...

Poor Sebring... But yeah, i think you're right, an up-and-down run on the Dragon in the Sebring would've done irrepairable damage to the chassis and suspension...

Bill, i went at night on purpose... i'll go again during the day to see the scenery... Nighttime is so much more my venue for all things... i love the night; the night loves me... It only made sense that i should drive one of the most dangerous roads in the country my first time, at night... :)

Mark, i did not call Uro... i left Atlanta at 8pm and didn't get back home until 4am... i doubt he would've shown any appreciation or saw the fun, 20-something humor in a midnight phone call to his home... :)

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    OH, no, you bought a 3-wheeled Chinese car!

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No oil slicks on my way up or back down... There are signs for trucks with regards to the steep grades in some areas... It's a bit bugged out to be on a road that insane and see signs made for trucks...

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!!! Not quite... It has four wheels and it's Japanese, not Chinese... :)

11. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Obviously a Nissan, or a train. Are you waiting to disclose the model until your photo shoots? or care to fill me in? still rocking a drop top?

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No more rag top... Gonna keep things relatively under wraps until i shoot some pictures... Car is bone stock, two liter engine, two less cylinders than the Sebring and more fun than i can legally fathom... Awesome gas mileage, no low end torque whatsoever, four wheel discs (as opposed to the Chrysler's rear drums) and it's a quattrovalve just like the Iacocconveribtle...

13. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    I won't ruin your wraps, but fun car, one of my freinds has one. Fun to tear around in, and would be a blast at the dragon, I assume.

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It was... And it's loaded with amenities i'm not used to, like in-dash CD, power steering, automatic windows that roll up within a few seconds, functional electrics, competent motor mounts, functional hot and cold air - i could go on and on...

15. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    update your profile.CMc

16. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Bubbaland, USA
    Full Name:
    Disgruntled Dave
    I've driven that legend about six times and on the last time I slapped my ///M Roadster against the mountain at the "Whip" corner in the rain. That sucked.

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Don't take the Lord's road in vain!

18. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia

..and just in case you're wondering it's a p---y magnet. Carbon and I returned home from dinner to learn that half the neighborhood had surrounded his car...it seems a cat jumped through the open window...

19. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce

Hmmm I bet I passed you since I was heading south from Maryville TN in a Jeep Liberty around 9pm. I was taking a scenic route thru Little River Rd from Gatlinburg TN towards Townsend then took the Foothills Parkway going west to Rte 129. Btw if you ever go back on Rte 129 you should consider taking Rte 28 south which goes by Fontana Dam and follow it to Franklin. The stretch from Franklin to Highlands NC is insane with curves and some nice waterfalls in plain view too right off the road. Also the Dam on Rte 129 is where they shot part of the movie "The fugitive".
    We went last year around this time and had two local Fchatters join us for a drive which they owned almost identical Two Red 95' 355 GTS's. Also I think Ferrari of NC/SC had a drive early this year with around 12-13 Ferrari's up at the Dragon. It ended up snowing that weekend but no accidents. November is the best time of year since the leaves are almost off the trees and you have a better view seeing into the corners. Just make sure you keep it in your lane cause you never know when another car is hauling ass through that area too. Be careful !!! Here is another website to check out for pictures www.killboy.com.

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    well... darnit Carbie, post up some pictures! I bet it is mega-paint-swirl-black.

21. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Congrats on your Nissan aquisition, Carb!!! I bought an '01 Xterra back in late August after my Jeep had a heart attack :( . Very easy to drive, but a gutless engine (geared very low to compensate for that though).

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...! That was funny...!

Red, profile's been updated... :)

Schatten, it's green and i'll hopefully get some pictures up shortly...

23. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Can't wait to see the pictures Carbon!

Sentra SE-R?

24. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    isn't that the place where that movie of the red 360, porsche, and viper drifting around a corner was filmed?