ps2 or xbox | FerrariChat

ps2 or xbox

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ross, Nov 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. i want to get my father the best driving sim set up, complete with steering wheel, pedals etc. so what is it? where do i get it? and what is the cheapest i can pay?

2. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    You're not going to find the best driving sim on ps2 or xbox, IMO. PS2 has Gran turismo 4, which is a great game. They have a really good wheel/pedal system. Xbox has Forza, which I prefer over GT4, and it has online play, which makes the competition much better. Xbox doesn't have a very good wheel setup though.

If I were to be doing a racing sim setup, I'd go PC and something like GTR as the game. http://www.10tacle.com/gtr-game/

Don't know anything about cost. But I think I saw someone on this site with quite the little video game setup with this game.Maybe they will chime in.

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I've tried Forza quickly, and I hated it, but keep in mind I've been having fun playing Gran Turismo 4 for a while now. It's reasonably cheap, and the actual tracks kept me entertained for quite some time ...
    Since you mentioned cost, GTR is going to be a problem, since you'll have to include a decent PC to run it smoothly ...

4. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    There are things missing in GT4, that I hate, and things missing in Forza, that I hate. If they could combine the good of both games into one game, it would be incredible.

5. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I recommend Forza on xbox with one of logitechs wheels. I can't think of the exact product but it is logitech and it has pedals, f1 transmission, and wheel and it can be mounted on a table or set in your lap I've tried it out. I've only owned one wheel back on PSONe haven't bought one on my xbox yet. 360 is coming out soon also so look into that

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    That's right! In GT4, I hate the lack of accidents, and the stupidity of the computer drivers. They just follow the same racing line, wether you're there or not.

7. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    The logitech wheels for the Xbox aren't very good. The best Xbox wheel is, by far,the Fanatec Speedster 3. I believe it was even designed specifically for Forza.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #8 WJHMH, Nov 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    PS2 w/ the Logitech wheel. There are countless other driving games besides GT4 that you may also enjoy. Here's a few of my favorites.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
    Burnout 3
    Wipeout XL
    etc...

I've been happy with mine, also you may think about custom building a cockpit, adds more to the fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    there aren't really any other driving sims though. Those other games you mention are all arcadey fast and furious stuff. I think PS2 has a couple F1 games that are pretty good, but I can't remember playing them. The logitech wheel for the PS2 is great.

Another suggestion. If you want your fathers setup to have some longevity, perhaps get an XBOX 360. It will be backwards compatible with Forza motorsports, and have futire racing games developed for it. Xbox and PS2 are nearly done. I'm not sure if they have a wheel for it yet, but im sure they will shortly.

10. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Why don't you wait a little and buy a Xbox 360 with PGR 3?

11. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    PGR3 is not a racing simulator.

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Wait until April for the PS3---all reveiws I read have it crushing the new xbox 360!!!

13. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    I haven't seen anything but speculation on it "crushing" the 360, and, it's supposed to be out in April in Japan. NA won't get it, as far as I have read, until late next year.

14. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I fully agree. From what i have heard, the speculations that it might comst twice as much as the Xbox might be false and it could be much cheeper than the Xbox... i cant wait.

15. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

What's missing in Forza that you hate?

Xbox 360 is backwards compatible with Xbox games, but you'll need a software emulator or something. Also, 360 online gaming will be free according to PopSci. I'll be getting a 360, PS3 doesn't really interest me.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilityqa.htm

16. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I'll be getting a PS3 when GT5 comes out ... I have quite some time left. :)

17. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Cars, tracks, true force feedback, in car view, I don't think tires make a big enough difference in track times, I wish it had a better data analysis system in place, more cars in online play, ability to fill an online field with AI, racing body kit for all cars, downloadable content, sideview mirrors or arrow indicators of cars beside (the right thumbstick just takes too long), more realistic car rating system, more efficient garage sorting system. That's all I can think of rightn now, but there is a lot missing, or funky with the game how in it's current form. Still a great game though.

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hmmm clear as mud....
    i guess i needed to be more specific about what i wanted out of it....my dad used to race at an amateur level but did so on many of the old f1 tracks (spa, nurburgring, hockenheim etc), so i wanted to simulate those places for him in some of the cars he may have run. i heard there was a program that allowed a huge choice of cars and tracks.

maybe i should wait for this ps3.

19. CalGTS

CalGTS Karting

Jan 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Leigh
    i say your best of waiting a few more weeks and get him a an xbox360 and project gotham racing 3.

20. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I've heard the opposite. I've heard the PS3 is significantly harder to program for. Where XBOX 360 has some psuedo-Windows architecture that is easy as pie...*shrug*