Advice for Student | FerrariChat

Advice for Student

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by clergy, Nov 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clergy

clergy Rookie

Jun 28, 2004
    Hi all,

I have been lurking around this board for over a year now, mainly due to my love for all types of cars, especially Ferraris. My question is this: how can a 20 year old student from UCI get his foot in the door in the automotive industry, preferably in the high end. Cars have always been my passion and I want to be in an environment where I can share this passion with others. I dont want to be a car salesman or the like where I feel as though I am peddling a product, but rather connect with people and their mutual passion for cars. Anyways, I am rambling but I figured this would be a great place for advice so any input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Shaun

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    In big lumps. Mechanical engineering to contribute to building cars or car parts. Design (Art Center in Pasadena sends a lot of graduates to car styling centers globally) to contribute to styling cars. Marketing to contribute to defining/positioning/promoting cars. After that, there's selling, which you said you don't want to do.

3. ROGUE GTS

ROGUE GTS Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Kalifornia
    Great area but wrong school if your trying to get in. There are a million car companies with in 10 min of UCI, all I can suggest is to buddy up and try to get your foot in the door.

There are quite a few ferrari shops, Saleen, Ford, DC, TRD, not to mention all the aftermarket stuff. I've been at it for a while even with connections it's not an easy one to break into. Unless you can show them your a kick ass designer or have some suspension/chassi design experience what makes you any different from the million other kids in SoCal?

4. tedtedted

tedtedted Karting

May 17, 2005
    socal!
    I'm also a 20 year old UCI student and I know that you're being very vague. Let's start with what you're majoring in and what you can do. If you have something to provide, you can get yourself anywhere. I knew a guy last year at UCI who had a dream to work for an F1 team. In his senior year, he was already developing suspension's for a race car. Right now, he's building his own race car from scratch to help him get into grad school. Based on what you've described, it's still hard to figure out what you want.

5. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Get a job doing whatever you want to do, and connect here or at Crystal Cove every Saturday. :)

6. tedtedted

tedtedted Karting

May 17, 2005
    socal!
    That's tough man. I've come to Crystal Cove a couple times and found it almost impossible to talk to anyone :(

7. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    We were talking about this in last week's (11-05-05) thread. Look for the people standing by the Ferraris (pictured on the last page) and ask if they are on f-chat. If not, move on to the next group. The people there are extremely friendly.

8. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    A great salesman loves his product. One ready does not sell a person on his product but shows him how he can buy.
    :)
    12 cylinders or walk!