Mondial slave clutch cylinder honing? | FerrariChat

Mondial slave clutch cylinder honing?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Nov 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Anyone ever had a hydraulic slave cylinder honed? I replaced the seal on the Mondial's slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch in the spring, and it has now begun leaking again, 3,000 miles later. I'm assuming that the walls of the cylinder need to be honed--it must be scraping on the seal and roughing it up, wearing it out prematurely. When I replaced it the first time I hand "honed" it with some scotchbrite, just to clean it up a little, but clearly it needs a more aggressive treatment. Is there a place that will do this? Do local places do it? The only alternative is to replace an otherwise perfectly fine slave cylinder with a brand new one, for big bucks. Seems a waste, especially considering I have made a nice tool for replacing the seal without breaking them, a difficult task!

Thanks in advance!

Birdman

2. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    You can get a honing tool at Sears for about $10, but I wouldn't be too aggresive with it. Fits in a speed drill. It could be that you didn't oil the seals before putting them in. Just my 2c.

3. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Birdman, you could get the cylinder bored and sleeved with stainless (or brass) by one of the many vendors that advertise this service in Hemmings. I have had this done for brake calipers and a variety of slave/master cylinders. Will last longer, and be more resistant to rust/pitting/ in stainless.

4. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    If your cylinder is pitted at all it will keep wearing out the seals because the seal get scrapped-up by the pits. I would try one of those "flex -stone" hones. They are much more aggresive then the expanding stone type of hone. Mcmaster Carr has many sizes available for about $15.00.
    If you can't get the pits out you will probably have to get it sleaved.

Mark

5. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    All I did was just buy a replacement cylinder. It was brand new and not too expensive. I think I bought it from Riambi but cant remember. Peace of mind was worth it especially since it was such a pain in the arse to remove and replace.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Replacing is over $400, not an option on something so simple and easily repaired.

Birdman

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Not sure where you got this price.
    I paid exactly $100 from T Rutlands. For that price the hassle is not worth rebuilding it for free.

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    For future reference, I know of a great machine shop local to you.
    - Ron

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I had the same issue with my MC; I ended up paying $350 to replace it (Lotus parts are thankfully cheap) because the hassle of doing the seals, the honing and the R&R more than once wasn't worth it to me. If there is ANY significant pitting you really can't hone it out. If you can get away with $100 I'd say go for it!

Ken

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Birdman,
    I've got a brake cyl hone. Have used it a few times, so it's properly broken in.

Bring your cyl over & we'll take a good look at it under a veddy bright light.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Verell,
    Thanks, sounds like a good winter project. The problem with honing it is that the cylinder is only perhaps 5/8" in diameter. It's a tiny little bore.

Davem, believe me if I could find one of these things for $100 it would be a done deal. I don't know when you got yours, but just the replacement SEAL on one of these right now is over $50, nevermind the whole slave cylinder. Rutlands is where I got the seal. (Just a damned rubber cup seal...but a weird size that can't be exactly matched at Mcmaster Carr). I considered machining a new piston that will fit a generic seal that costs $.25 instead of the funky Ferrari seal that costs $50!

The fact is, this ain't rocket science. I just need to hone the bore on this thing, put in a new seal, and that's it. My question is...what's the easiest way to hone such a small bore. Can I do it myself or is this a "take it to a shop" kind of thing?

Birdman

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'll have to check my brake cyl hone. I last used it about 5 years ago for a Rx7 master Cyl which was more like 0.75" dia. Know where it is tho, will try to remember to take a look at it tonight.

No magic to honing, just chuck the hone into a variable speed drill, put a squirt of oil in the cylinder & spin the hone at a slow speed while constantly moving it up & down the cylinder.

As Dave mentioned, if there are any pits, the cyl will have to be bored out & a sleeve inserted. Any serious auto machine shop, or general machine shop should be able to re-sleeve a cylinder.

13. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    For those very small bores, I use a piece of rod, 1/4" or 5/16" that has been cut down the middle to form a slot on one end. A piece of shop roll abrasive (cloth backed, usually comes in rolls 1" wide, in different grade or grit) can be tucked into the end, and it will fit a very small hole. Depending on the saw cut width, you may either use a folded piece, or wind on a section.
    HTH
    Kermit

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I got it at T Rutlands. Yes they told me just the seal would be $50 as well.
    New slave cylinder complete $100, never said it made sense...
    Give them a call, best of luck
    Dave