minesweeper | FerrariChat

minesweeper

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Webby, Nov 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    This thread will either be a huge hit or a bomb...

What are your scores

Beginner: 5 seconds
    Intermediate: 36 seconds
    Expert: 162 seconds

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    B - 8 seconds
    I - 43 seconds
    E - 123 seconds (knocked more than 20 seconds off my previous best)

I suck at computer games.

3. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Beginner - 9 seconds
    Intermediate - 84 seconds
    Expert - 246 seconds

Maybe something's wrong with my technique.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I haven't played anything except Expert level for quite a while, and like I said, I generally suck at computer games. There's something I've always wondered about the Minesweeper game, namely that it couldn't possibly be totally set up in advance, like it seems it should be. In other words, when you start a game, the position of the mines SHOULD already be established, you just have to find them. But it doesn't work that way, not unless I'm incredibly unlucky. When I start a game, and I punch up a "1", that means that there SHOULD be only one chance in 8 that I will hit a mine on any square adjoining that "1" on my next move. Right? So then why do I hit a mine at least 50% of the time on my next move, and sometimes the same thing happens several games in a row. The odds of that happening must be astronomical. Yet I see it happen to me all the time. The computer is cheating.

5. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    When I hit a square next to a 1, I only hit a mine 2-3 times out of 10. I'd say it's your luck. I'm pretty sure the entire layout is determined once you hit the first square.

6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    What's the odds that the first square you hit will have a mine under it? So why doesn't it?

End game: If there are two squares left, and there's a bomb under one of them, the odds should be 1 in 2. But if you've left five other squares where you know there are bombs unmarked, then the odds are 6 out of 7. (Danger Will Robinson)

Why would Bill "Pay Me" Gates ever give away software with every version of Windoze?
    Can you say "gullibility test?".

Internet IQ Test: Send $39.95 S&H in cash to untraceable address for a "free" appraisal of your intelligence ....

7. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    It's generated when you click the first square. There isn't a way to lose on the first square.

And my best time is like 160 on expert. My stepdads is like 30 secs. Don't ask me how, I still believe it was witchcraft. He had some time in the 50s before he knocked it down to the 30s. I still am shocked to this day.

8. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Uh, i managed expert years ago in under 100 secs.
    Beginner in 1 sec. (first click made whole field clear)

9. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I haven't played in a while but in college the lowest scores were:

Beginner = 1 second (1st click cleared it)
    Intermediate = 23 seconds
    Expert = 86 seconds