355 Exhaust Header source | FerrariChat

355 Exhaust Header source

Discussion in '348/355' started by KTR, Nov 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    #1 KTR, Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just received today a brand new set of 355 exhaust headers from Metalcraft Industires in Danbury, CT and they are beautiful! I have a picture below. They were purchased for a clients car and will be sent out for coating tommorrow! Scott at Metalcraft told me that they are made from 321 Stainless Steel and have a slightly thicker wall thickness than OEM headers. They will last much longer than the factory parts! I ordered these without the air injection ports which are only used during cold start but you can get them both ways. As soon as they return I will install them and put the car on our dyno to see how well they do there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kokose7en likes this.
  2. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    You better wrap those headers or have them jet-coated, the heat they create without heat shields will cause the alternator to fail and has been linked to several engine fires. I am surprised they would sell you headers without heat shields for street use.

If you are installing these in a client's car, time to read your insurance policy!

Tubi's with shields are the only way to go, my advice, return them get your customer's money back before you go through the headache of installing them and all of the problems they will cause you and your client.

3. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    do these have equal length piping? what type of welding method was used? price?

4. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #4 edmo7, Nov 14, 2005
  5. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    anyone have pics of Tubi 355 manifolds? Any comments on the different designs of the bends on each manifolds?

6. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    from my experience, NAperformance has the best deal going on manifolds. Check their website for more info - I just ordered a new set there for my soon to arrive 355 spider! I checked everywhere and they are substantially cheaper and offer the heat protective coating.
    gordon

7. oneFerrari

oneFerrari Rookie

Nov 14, 2005
    nice photos folks.. makes me thinking to change mine out.

8. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    Chris, thanks for the dramatics! If you had read my comments I mentioned that the headers were going out to be coated today. In no way did I suggest the headers were going in yet!

9. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    I chose the Metalcraft because they are exact copies in tube length and construction. If you look at flanges the other types pictured have their own design. They are tig welded and back gasesd. Other companies use 304 Stainless and these are from 321 which is more expensive and tougher than 304. It is in my opinion a superior product.

10. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    How much do these Metalcraft headers cost? and are they made for both 2.7 and 5.2 versions of the 355?

11. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    do they have a site? neat looking part nice to see them without the coating.forza frank

12. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    The website is www.metalcraftindustriesltd.com and we were charged $6k for the pair. I have purchased from them before and have had no problems with their products.

13. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looks like a nice product! Haven't heard anything from the company but compare $6k when I sell them at 1/2 the price. You say 321SS is superior but you do know that NAPerformance offers these headers in material of your choice for additional cost. We could have done 321SS for less than $4k! The extra $2k could go towards that Capristo exhaust or GruppeM intake. Or even the next service.

For a little over $6k I'd make you titanium headers LOL!

Regardless there headers look nice and I'm sure they perform great but if they want to compete in this industry. They need to lower their price!

Regards,
    Kevin

14. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Anyone know if the method of the piping bends in the manifold will affect the sound of the exhaust system? Higher pitched, deeper rumble, etc?

15. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    Do the NAPerformance header flanges transition from round tube to oval as on the factory pieces. Ferrari/ANSA uses an investment casting which incorporates this feature. The Metalcraft headers have flanges which also do this and are CNC machined from billet SS. Just trying to compare apples to apples.

16. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    what does the transition from round tubes to oval do for the headers? more power? different sound?

17. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    The cylinder head exhaust port is oval and your exhaust tubing is round. At some point you must transition from one shpe to the other. If you look closely you will see that the Metalcraft flanges also have a shoulder which permits the weld closest to the head to be somewhat further from the head than the others pictured. This insures better longevity.

18. LennyZeutzius

LennyZeutzius Karting
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2004
    Palmdale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lenny
    Man, those Fiorance Performance headers look rough. Very rough.
    Looks like some backyard work there.

IMHO
    L.Z.

19. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005

20. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The flanges are cut with an oval port and the tube itself is transitioned from oval to round.

I'm not saying the Metalcraft headers are bad headers. They look like great headers. When I made my headers I wanted to have the most competetive priced on the market while offering something that was still made in the U.S, had research, development, and testing before it was offered to the public, and a lifetime warranty. I did exactly that and was very happy with the end result as were the customers minus one in CA who had a small fitting problem on a 2.7 version but that was resolved.

Not sure what Metalcraft's goal is but I hope they achieve it and best of luck to them!

Regards,
    Kevin

21. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Would anyone like to comment on piping bends from these 2 headers? NAperformance and Metalcraft? Looks like the NAperformance units have their own design on the bends, but the Metalcraft units have factory style bends. What are the advantages/drawbacks to each design?

22. KTR

KTR Guest

Jun 17, 2005
    I believe that the fellow from NAPerformance did a good job reaching his goal which was to make headers to sell in a certain price range. He is reasonably priced. His primary tubes slip fit into his "tri-y" collector pipes and are held in place by springs.
    The Metalcraft units are all one piece, as are the Ferrari items, and are by nature much more time consuming to make. Both will get the job done nicely it is just a matter of preference for the clients or buyers of these two products.
    Once we get the Metalcraft pieces back we will be able to post dyno results and compare them to stock items.

23. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #23 RossoCorsaItaly, Nov 16, 2005
    I'm looking forward to seeing the dyno results. I'm just curious what type of dyno will you be using and does the F355 have any modifications?

Also here's a picture of the stock header next to one of ours in case anyone is interested in what the stock unit looks like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Interesting they are still cladding them as they did on mine.....is the intent to keep the heat IN the assembly, as it was in the 'early years'?

25. edmo7

edmo7 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I would say the bends on the NAperformance units are certainly more elegant looking.