Visiting Scotland soon; Edinburgh or Glasgow? | FerrariChat

Visiting Scotland soon; Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AC6, Nov 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hi fellow Fchatters,
    I will probably be driving to Scotland sometime next week with a friend for a weekend vacation kind of thing, never been to Scotland before therefore I am open up to anything. Some people say Edinburgh is more interesting than Glasgow, some people say the opposite. Just want to know which place Fchatters recommend, I want to know which of the two cities are better for sightseeing, shopping and eating. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    As I was born and bred in Edinburgh (though now living in the soft south) I am biassed. But I have checked with a friend in Dundee who visits both regularly so this is probably fairly objective

Edinburgh is a much more beautiful city - in fact one of the most beautiful anywhere (at least the old and new towns, some of the outlying bits aren't so nice). There are some interesting things to see in Glasgow but I think Edinburgh would win easily on that one - and a weekend will only scratch the surface.

Shopping: Probably not a lot between the two. Glasgow is a much a larger city so maybe marginally more variety. If it's touristy shopping (tartan stuff etc) then Edinburgh wins hands down.

Eating. Once again. Much of a muchness. Edinburgh wins at the top end but Glasgow probably more choice.

Night life. Glasgow wins.

But why not base yourself in Edinburgh and pop ovewr to Glasgow for half a day. Trains every 15 mins and only take 45 mins

3. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Personal fave is Glasgow cos I obviously live there at weekends and the nightlife is better than Edinburgh. For sightseeing though, maybe Edinburgh as there are a few more attractions i would have said. I really dont go through to Edinburgh that much if ever due to getting lost going, in there and coming back!

4. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks guys, I guess Edinburgh is the place to go, and if time permits, like recommended I will drop by Glasgow to see.
    What are the tourist spots for Edinburgh? The popular street names of the city centre? Any preference on good (cheap/unfancy) restaurants? Generally any recommendations for places to visit in Edinburgh?
    Thanks again!

5. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    have a look on Google for some basic Info

Edinburgh is built on many hills. Right in the middle is the castle on top of the castle rock. It towers over the city. Worth a visit. From there running East and downwards is the Royal Mile which ends at Holyrood Palace, the officail home of the Queen in Scotland. The Royal Mile is the Old Town of Edinburgh. Now largely a tourist area but still spectacular.

To the North there is the Georgian "New Town". Built in the 18th C and full of wonderful crescents and sqares. Between the two is Princess St. A mile long shopping Street with fantastic views to the castle.
    You can climb hills (Arthur Seat, Calton Hill for example) to get views over the whole.

Further north - on the banks of the River Forth, is the Port town of Leith, separate but now joined to Edinburgh. Used to be rough but now quite posh with nice little restaurants and the Royall Yacht Britannia to visit .
    Just one block north of princess ST is Rose st. A narrow street full of bars restaurants and boutiques. Worth exploring.

Quite a few museums etc. Just depends what turns you on