NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection: F430 Failed! | FerrariChat

NJ Motor Vehicle Inspection: F430 Failed!

Discussion in '360/430' started by KenU, Nov 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Had to have my new F430 inspected (NY bought, NJ resident) and brought it up to Steve @ New Vernon Coach today who's an authorized facility and quite familiar w/Ferrari's, etc. Thought it would be a no-brainer, however, the "OBD System - Readiness Status" showed "Catalytic Converters: NOT READY" and "Evaporative System": NOT READY" amongst other items that showed READY.

Steve explained the car has to be driven more - have 300 miles on it for 4 weeks now. Combination of highway and stop+go city miles would eventually "READY" the OBD System, according to Steve (nice guy, BTW).

Just curious - anyone here experience a similar problem or have more knowledge of this annoyance? Any other suggestions? Car's officially in the system now as a FAIL and has 45 days for a re-inspection.

Thanks

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Drive it more? ;) Come out to our runs!

Folks, what's on the slate for next weekend?

3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Clyde's got the right idea and the most logical solution. Only a few more weeks of nice weather left, so drive more!

4. YH8T

YH8T Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    LA
    Full Name:
    Marco A Garcia
    take it on a good run for about 30 minutes freeway driving high rpms right before you should be ok, or just do what everyone else does and pay a little extra and problem solved.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    wink wink.

6. Danny Phantom

Danny Phantom Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray

its a little harder to do after you've failed from the dmv

7. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ken,

You're the first to raise this issue with the 430, but it has happened with the 360. This appeared to be a rather common occurrence on the 1999 and some 2000 360's. Certain of the required OBD2 tests would never show has "ready/complete", despite all attempts to follow the various mandated "driving cycles". Referee test was the way to go in California.

Check out these threads:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34142

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80057&highlight=360+failed+smog+check

8. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks, Jack.

Didn't realize this was going to be such an issue with this car. I spoke to another fellow Jerseyan today who also purchased his F430 in NY and passed with only a few hundred miles on the car. However, he told me that he did NOT follow the recommended "break-in" of staying under 5k RPMS until 600 mi. and that he was redlining almost immediately after delivery. I, also have 300 miles and have driven up to 5k, but not over. He told me not to "baby" the car.

I'd hate to sacrifice possibly having a potential warranty problem, for the sake of having passed inspection. But what he said (and did) made sense in that the car needs to "open up" to let the Cats "breathe a little better" and, I guess, the Evaporative System also.

Ken

9. Clark

Clark Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Clark Driggers MD
    I have a 360 I have owned for 8 months and it still says OBD not ready for O2 sensors, evap system, and O2 heat. It may not be as simple as doing as drive cycle. I have done over 30 different drive cycles from FNA, replaced the ECU's, the O2 sensors, wiring harnesses, vacuum cannisters, even had the Bosch tech from FNA spend a day with it to no avail. Car still can not pass, FNA does not know what is wrong and they deny a problem with the car. I am stuck with a car that can not be registered and FNA says mine is the only one, still what do I do

Clark
    770 712-3892

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Call a lawyer. FNA is lying to you. They are very aware of the problem. If you want to make it a legal issue I can provide you with names of more owners that are having the same problem.

Their cars are not passing a federally mandated test procedure and they are blowing people off. Call the Feds and report it. Everyone with that problem should be doing it. It is the only way it will be addressed.

In 1988 Ferrari came out with passive restraints that simply did not work. The infamous automatic shoulder harness in the TR and 348. I don't know how many time I heard people from FNA say they sure were glad no one was reporting it to the feds or they would have a recall on their hands. Those cars are finally being recalled. Why? Not because Ferrari cares or people reported it. Because that Firestone/Ford debacle and the feds handed their head to them over a safety related defect that went unreported to the feds.

This is not a safety related issue and if anyone expects it to be addressed they have to report it to the EPA.

11. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    stop crying! grrrrrrrr. Stupid response.

SUE SUE SUE< shaddup. It's idiot mindsets like this that make the world suck sometimes.

12. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    New cars have to pass the emissions testing.

Good luck and its an issue that you would want to get taking care of and having on record before the warranty expires...

It could be a big problem down the road so get it taken care of.

JMO and congrats on a great car. I'm sure its something similiar.

13. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    This is not a Ferrari specific problem.

The "monitors" need to be set, and this an issue we are seeing with more then one exotic car line, so pointing a finger at Ferrari is wrong.

14. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm

anymore info on the 348 recall ?? PM if you do.. I have a friend with a 348 and his restraints work on and off.

-a

15. Clark

Clark Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Clark Driggers MD
    Redhead, the monitors have been reset, FNA sent the factory Bosch tech and he spent a day with it to no avail. I have notified EPA and they are concerned with recall issues and getting it fixed. How can I get pressure on FNA. Like I said everything has been replaced that is emission related

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like I said, it is a problem Ferrari is aware of. They are just trying to pretend it does not exist.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

So Ferrari blows it off and you own a 120?k dollar car that you can't register?

Glad you can just afford to forget about it.

18. Clark

Clark Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Clark Driggers MD
    I would be happy to retain a lawyer , I know quite a few. Problem is that this is a federal issue with emissions so getting someone in auto emissions law and for a federal case is a bit tricky, I am open to suggestions. I have been told it would take about 18 months to get it heard and would definitely have the law on my side but a lot of money expenditure and time and then hope I get enough compensation to pay the lawyer. I guess that is why FNA blows off the customer. The car is registered under a waiver, I had to show we have spent over $799 in repairs.

What would you guys do?

19. Enzomaniac

Enzomaniac Karting

Aug 30, 2004
    I know quite a few people who register their cars in locales which have no emissions testing, regardless of where they live. This is your solution, but for next time.

20. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    just drive, drive, and drive until you eventually get bored!!! :)