355 oil change schedule | FerrariChat

355 oil change schedule

Discussion in '348/355' started by spidey, Nov 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spidey

spidey Karting

The car does not get a lot of mileage on it (about 1,500 miles this year).

last oil change was whe I had the 30K service done 1.5 years ago.

Whats the oil change frequency that makes practical sense? any other service need to be done ?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    When you pull out the dipstick and it looks like asphalt.:D

Engine oil and filter should be changed every 7,500 miles or at least once a year. So yours is due.

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Spidey,

I'd change that oil more frequently than every 1.5 years!

My CL500 calls for 10K oil changes. I change every 5K, and I have only put 5,300 miles on it since 12/03, AND I have changed the oil 3X's already. It's synthetic oil as well.

Oil is cheap; repairs are not.

Why not drive that car up to my place every two weeks on Saturdays to say hello!

4. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Every six months for the non-drivers. 3,000 miles for the drivers.
    :)
    12 cylinders or walk!

5. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Every 3k or six months for a non driver. Like my father said in his best Tonto impersonation " oil cheap, engine expensive."

Darrell.

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Q. Is the oil filter and oil used on the 355 exactly the same as on the 360?

The reason I am interested is to know why some garages are trying to charge more to do a service on a 360 than on a 355 ! Aren't they pretty damn similar engines?

7. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    As the son of a Mobil Oil lubricant engineer and salesman of almost 30 years, I was always told that the 3000 mile oil change intervals advertised by the oil companies were simply a money making scheme. If you're racing your car every weekend, 3000 mile might be ok, but otherwise you're just throwing money away.

-R

8. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    When Mobil 1 came out...back in the 70's it was advertised as 1 year 25k mile oil. I was told by a Mobil rep a number of years ago that the manufactures got after Mobil and that is why they changed their Marketing.