Bad Gas...? | FerrariChat

Bad Gas...?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Nov 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    How Some Bad Gas Almost Cost me $300+

Last night, i'm running errands, my car's on E... i pull into Shell, put in five quick bucks and go on my way...

Today i'm running more errands and my car's on E again... i've got to get my car inspected so i can register it here in Georgia, so i go to the emissions place - which is at a gas station - and i figure i'll fill up as soon as i'm done with the inspection...

Inspection takes longer than usual and when it's finally done, i walk up to the guy...

"So we're all set...?"

Maybe talking to so many people makes him talk fast, maybe he has nothing to do but drink coffee all day while he's waiting for people to get their cars inspected... Either way, when he spoke, it all came out in one, continuous string of words - none of which bore any emotion different from the others...

"Yeah, you failed, everything's printing out right now..."

Now, the question, "So we're all set?", when answered with a "yeah", you would think means that i'd be all set - you know, that i'd PASSED and i can go on my merry way...

Au contraire...

"i failed...?!?"

"Yeah, it's printing out right now, we'll find out what the problem is..."

System failure. Running rich (Bank 1).

The guy also pointed out that my Service Engine Soon light was on... What...?!? When did THAT come on...?!? i've had the car for two weeks...!!!

WTF does "Running rich (Bank 1)" mean...? So i fill up my car and go down the street to the local auto parts store and ask the guy if he knows what this means... He tells me i probably just need a tune up... i get back in my car and the Service Engine Soon light is no longer on... Hmmm...

i go a few blocks more to the Nissan dealership, park the car and turn it off... i go inside and explain to the guy in Service what my problem is... He says i probably need a new oxygen sensor...

"How much is that and can you have it done by today...?"

"We don't have that part in-house and total, with labor and everything, you're looking at about $325-$340..."

At this point, i breathed a heavy sigh mixed in with some choice expletives...

"i'll go see an independent, thanks" and i walk out...

i get back in my car, turn it on and the Service Engine Soon light isn't coming on... It was on ten minutes ago, why isn't it on now...?

i get back on the road and i'm driving in the general direction of where i think i might find some kind of cost-effective independent mechanics - which happens to be in the same direction as the emissions place. i look down at the dash. Still no Service Engine Soon light.

At the last minute, i whip my car back into the emissions parking lot and queue up between the cones... Someone's ahead of me, so i have to wait...

i put the car in park and sit with what little patience i'm able to muster... i eyeball my dash... Then i notice something... My tachometer, while in park, is idling at around 0800 RPMs... When i was hear the first time, sitting in park, it was idling at about 1,200 RPMs... Running rich...! Sonofa-

"You gonna run your car through again...?"

"Yeah..."

"What'd you get done to it so fast...?"

"Nothing..."

"Well, it's gonna fail again..."

"Nah, i think it's gonna pass this time..."

"Oooookay... i'll be ready in just a few minutes..."

As he walked away, i had a five-minute conversation with my car...

"Listen... i know we just met... and i know we're still getting to know each other... but i really need your help with this... i think you just got some bad gas... Your Service Engine Soon light isn't on anymore and you're not running as rich as you were... i didn't give you bad gas on purpose... Had i know that station had some suspect fuel, i would've gone to another place... Please help me on this one... i really need your help..."

End result...? i passed.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    One time, it was a really hot day and a former friend and I were drinking Michelob, eating Hot Chiccarones and Linguica.

The next day, I passed really bad gas - I mean, the kind that peels primer off.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Did they make you go through emissions testing?

4. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, my Pop opened the door and shut it real quick which is a sure sign the emissions test is going badly. Right about that time, I woke up gagging from the stench and had to wash my eyes out 'cause they were burning so bad. So, obviously I was running a bit rich, too.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Sometimes my dogs look at me funny and even run out of the room.

6. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I tend to agree with the bad gas scenario. The "service engine soon" light on my '95 GMC truck seems to come on every night when I drive home on the interstate. But when I drive to work doing 40MPH on the local highway, it never comes on. And then sometimes it comes on and then goes off again 10 minutes later. There is never any actual problem with the engine or the rpm. I've also wondered about the quality of today's gas. My first thought would be the oxygen sensor. But as long as it runs fine, I'm not going to worry about it.

8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    If you have an AUTOZONE near you they have a loaner tool program that includes code readers. I'd suggest checking one out (they charge your card for it $200.00 and then credit the amount back when you return it) and plugging it into your car. I'll read any stored codes you might have in your cars ECU. It takes a few stored codes before the Check Engine Light comes on. You might not have a problem, as your truck seems to be running fine, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

9. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    "I put the car in park..." - Carbon

An automatic, Carb??? DISAPPOINTMENT :( :( , but it's your car!!

Back when I was at the pool co. one of the trucks came due for an emissions check. The pool vaccuumer, who usually drove it took it to an emissions inspection station, and it failed!! This was an '00 or '01 Chevy S-10 2.2 litre 4 cyl. with about 50k miles. I took the truck the next day, did a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor), new fuel filter, new air filter, 2 bottles of DRYGAS, and some fuel injector cleaner. Then I gave the truck back to the vacuumer to take back to the inspection station. I knew it would pass. Next day, vac guy shows me another failure report!!! I take the truck back to find the check engine light on!! Not a big problem, just a 5 amp fuse had blown. I replace the fuse, and all is well. I then take the truck to a different station, and it fails again!!! Check engine light had come on again. At the inspection station, I replace the same 5 amp fuse again, and have the truck tested again, on the spot while I am watching. The inspector plugs the OBD2 computer into the truck and pop goes the fuse again!! I simply pulled the blown 5 amp fuse and replace it with a 10 amp fuse, and the check engine stayed off. The truck then passed with ease. Go figure??!!!