Cliff notes on Flat Panel TV, Please. | FerrariChat

Cliff notes on Flat Panel TV, Please.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, Nov 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I don't know sh it about flat screen TV's, but you've gotta post some pics of that project from start to finish. :)

3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    OK, no responses.

How bout this:

Is a LCD TV any good, like the one I referenced up top^^^^?

If we ever get high def around here, would this one work with it?

Thanks.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    uro - there is huge variability in the image quality of flat panel displays - especially LCDs.

what size display are you looking for? if you're looking in that 26" range, LCD is basically you're only choice since nobody really makes plasmas that small.

that particular panel has 768 lines, so it'll upconvert 720p to 768 lines and it'll downconvert 1080i to 768 lines. from what i'm told, the sony LCDs have decent internal scalers (relatively speaking; a buddy is buying a 40"-ish sony this weekend).

http://www.avsforum.com/ is a great resource - search this model number and see if it pops.

doody.

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's hard to go wrong with a Sony LCD (except price *kak kak), how good is the off axis viewing on it? Plasma screens don't suffer the same problem, though they do have a limited service life of about 20 thousand hours.

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Uro- first of all, Cliff's Notes is a trademark, and should not be used to refer, generically, to any brief synopsis of a subject. You could say, "Could I please have a brief synopsis...". Having said that, I will now contribute in a semi- meaningful way.

In my experience, plasma TVs~ the type most people think of when they see a flat TV~ create an unnaturally bright, almost neon-like quality to the light. These work well in situations where the viewing area is itself bathed in light, whether natural or artificial, i.e., high ambient light environments. While the TVs can be tuned 'down' I don't find watching a plasma to be as pleasant, even when the ambient light and adjustments would make for less fatiguing viewing. They have also traditionally been expensive, and are prone, or were, at any rate, to 'burn-in' if images were left on them for lengthy periods of time. Still, though, considered the ultimate flat screen...

LCD- cheaper, usually size limited, eg. 37", work well in high ambient light environments, can be tuned to look somewhat natural in more conducive viewing environments, traditionally terrible off-axis viewing, ie, at certain angles the image is incoherent.

Also, not sure these days about the internal scalers and the true resolution provided to the display- alot of this means that the signal is not necessarily originating as a hi-def signal (if you like nature documentaries, that's good, cause apart from some live tv broadcasts, there ain't much else programming in HD yet)-but the signal is up-scaled to a higher resolution. Faroujda used to make one of the best in the day, as an outboard, and they have licensed their processes for in-component usage, but i'm not sure they are still the top of the heap. The AVS forum is a good source. The one guy, Joe___, was the guru a few years ago on display set up.
    Good luck. BTW, you probably won't get much meaningful info at a box shop. Do your own research, as you are now...

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks to all.

Oh, and I meant to say "Cliff(ord T. Gunboat) Notes". :)

Its enough to make me get the kleenex out and take some advil.

8. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Check cnet.com. They have a pretty good primer on current TV technology. I learned a lot from them before I bought my TV last Christmas.

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I don't understand the criticism of LCD tvs not giving good images when viewed from an angle. Maybe this was the case with old LCD technology in laptops, but my LCD tv can be viewed from any angle and still gives good images.

What I also noticed is that plasma tvs magnify resolution or poor signal problems. This is also the case with LCD but to a much lesser extent. In any case my advise would be to go for digital tv if available.

Prices of LCD tvs have dropped dramatically in the last 12 months btw.

Ciao, Peter

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Be sure you get HDTV, not just digital TV! FYI, all digital TVs are not HDTVs. http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-3.html?tag=main.understand When I was looking for two flat panel TVs last year I researched and watched many plasma, DLP and LCD units. To my eyes the plasma screens had a better picture quality than the DLPs or LCDs, especially in HD. Also, if you watch a lot of sports or action movies, an LCD will not be able to keep up with fast motion and you will actually see "trails" of the moving objects...not so with plasma or DLP.

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    As far as price, I was thinking of waiting til after Christmas, maybe mid-January for a good price.

The more I study this, the more confused I get.

12. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    Uro the Dec. 2005 Consumer Reports has a good review of HDTV's.
    Their rankings for LCD's are.
    1. 32" Sony Wega KLV-32M1 $1500
    2. 32" Panasonic Viera TC-32LX50 $1900
    3. 37" LG 37LP1D $3500
    4. 32" Samsung LN-R328W $1700
    5 32" Maxent MX-32X3 $1300
    6. 37" Philips 37PF7320A $2800
    7. 32" JVC LT-32X576 $1800

13. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Hi Uro,
    my wooden nickel's worth:
    the best picture is still a high-end CRT monitor: this is what studios still use.
    best picture for a flat screen is plasma: broader range of colors, especially the difficult to produce dark to black shades.

14. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Junga_ you are probably right, but unless the purist view changed, that meant no greater than 19". And, to paraphrase Lamour, I wouldn't cut off a couple feet for anybody....

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks for those replies as well!

16. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    party at your house after the holidays to watch your new big screen?

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

LOL! Remember it's a medium screen. The cabinet space is limited to 21 inches high, 30 inches wide, 5.5. inches deep. We'll just sit closer. :)