360 Modena, +31.3hp with just sports cats!? | FerrariChat

360 Modena, +31.3hp with just sports cats!?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Nov 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Here's the blurb;

Is this power increase really likely to be true???

-- cut --
    Hyper-Flow Catalytic Converters

What can you expect from the Hyper-Flow Catalytic for your 360 Ferrari?

o 25% to 30% increase in exhaust flow.
    o Reduce engine compartment temperature.
    o No internal parts to corrode.
    o An average of 30HP increase.

o 31.3 HP @ 6,000 RPM
    o 27 HP @ 4,500 RPM
    o 36 FT pounds of torque at 4,700 RPM

See;
    http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/exhaust.htm

An extra 30 hp with just replacement cat's? Kinda makes the +20hp that Ferrari gave us with the CS look a little mean if this is true? Can anyone verify whether this is all bull or truth?? I was expecting approx +10hp from cat's but if its this much power it may well be one of the best mod's you can do to the 360 !

2. ANCOTRONIX

ANCOTRONIX Karting

Apr 16, 2005
    Full Name:
    alex
    #2 ANCOTRONIX, Nov 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Go with the Tubi test pipe if you want it to sound like a F1 car and don't mind it being too loud. They are straight pipes into your exhaust. About $350 dollars, lighter than Cats by far and even more HP increases.

My 2,

Mike

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    .. I used anti-cat pipes on my old '00 Bayside Blue R34 Skyline GT-R, it was a big mistake!

Result wise it really was an impressive difference, in throttle response, boost pressure spool up, etc and even fuel economy was better BUT come the time to get a yearly road test certificate (I'm from uk, MOT its called) it was a pain, the old cat had to be re-fitted to pass the test.

In the end I bit the bullet and bought race cat's. They only reduce flow a little (kinda expensive) but worth it for the lack of hassle and big gain in drivability!

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #5 riverflyer, Nov 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I am with you on this one. The race cats are about the same weight as good test pipes, do not leave your car smelling whilie warming up or cruising and do not contribute to the global greenhouse problem. I know that may draw some fire, but it is reality.
    These are made by Larini.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Cats do, believe it or not, serve a "muffling" purpose, and the muffler's design is based upon those characteristics.

When the cats are removed you can actually lose power, because the harmonic resonance that is balanced in the cats now becomes the additional work of the muffler. As a result out of balance harmonics will occur in the muffler which will actually restrict the gas flow. This then produces resistance within the muffler which can, of course, cut down flow and efficiency.

So, in some cases you can lose HP by the cat removal. Test pipes are worthless!

Proper exhaust flow does not equate to noise. They must work together. So, if you want more "noise" stick with the cats and get a different muffler.

I am with Riverflyer on this deal. Install a higher flow cat and a better muffler, and the overall benefits are far more noticeable.

Rear engined cars are the most difficult for proper muffler design. The cats serve a dual purpose and are not the worse things in fact! Don't screw up the balance!

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Actually the greenhouse problem is mainly CO2 and your engine makes more CO2 with cats on because they complete the combustion process by converting the unburred hydrocarbons into water and CO2. The cats reduce NOx and hydrocarbon emissions that cause acid and smog to form.

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    John,

How about a link for the Larini web site?

9. ted 191

ted 191 Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    yorkshire
    Full Name:
    chris heeley
    if you fit bypass pipes do the warning lights stay on?

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  11. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Now you are talking! Thank you.

Apparently this is a small company as they only build for order!

I presume they are UK based?

BTW, read the post Riverflyer made on I believe 8-14 concerning his own cat and muffler installation. He did a great job of explaining everything about cat and muffler changes, and he emphasized how the engine pulled throughout the range. Remember, he has the high flow cats on as well!

Look closely, and you'll see the sign on the wall that reads "John's Muffler Shop"! Very appropriate.

12. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    i personally think the car is fast enough right out of the box, why add hp ...

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    bc its not that fast out of the box?

14. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    Any car that has an O2 sensor before and after the catalytic convertor, as OBD II cars do, will set a Check Engine light if test pipes are fitted. It may not come on immediately (it often does not) but after 300-400 miles, or few emission "cycles" it will. The second O2 sensor exists to verify that the cat is there and functioning, producing a different reading than the first sensor. With the test pipes on, the two O2 sensors read the same, hence the Check Engine light.

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    And what Pino adds reinforces the statement that one is better off with the cats.

If you screw with them, especially here in CA, you have to put the cats back on to get a smog cert. With the Smog Check II program, you can't get around the issue. Is it worth the hours of labor to get almost no gain?

So, if you followed the plan that Riverflyer did, you benefit greatly. More noise does not equate to HP!

You want more torque bandwidth which comes about by better exhaust flow. Better exhaust flow equates to better exhaust harmonics.

16. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

Understood some places may be tough to pass emissions.

My car was plugged in directly to the computer system at the Department of Environmental Quality ( DEQ). People see Ferrari and are too Wowed to actually check for CATS. It passed with flying colors. From what I hear Oregon has some of the toughest standards in the States as well. No car around sounds like mine. You can hear it from a mile away.

Mike

17. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    BTW Greg, I have an arrangement with Larini and can get a good deal for fchatters on their cats. PM me if interested.

18. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Its not about just adding hp, a car with race cats compared to one without... well have you tried it? I was utterly sceptical when I first heard about replacing the cats on a car with racing cats, didn't think it would make a difference, it does, its not just outright HP but better throttle response, improved gas mileage, lower back pressure also means less heat in the engine bay which in itself improves engine life span, etc. etc. Basically high flow cats are a win win and they are relatively cheap!

T

20. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    i put a set of hyperflow cats on my 348 and saw basically no difference, very little.

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Did you ever do any dyno's before/after? any other work done at the time? Back pressure reduction really helps the top end (high speed) driving. I guess it depends on the type of driving you do if you'd even an extra notice 10 or 15hp..

Its even more important on turbo cars such as porsche turbo's or gt-r's. It should also guard against manifold temperature crack's...

22. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I agree with John.
    I drove John's car the other day and it will instantly redline in first and second gear and that's not even trying. Does you really need to go faster? The damn thing accelerates like a sportbike.