Any issues with a high mileage 575m | FerrariChat

Any issues with a high mileage 575m

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by RichardCH, Nov 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    i.e 15,O00 miles in 18 months, this car is very good value, will it still be ok at 40,000 miles and will l ever be able to resell it if necessary ___

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    You'll *always* be able to resell a Ferrari - not very likely for a profit, unless you're dealing with a vintage collectible... As long as you keep up with scheduled maintenance, the car will be just as marketable (IMO) as a garage queen. Perhaps not as marketable to a waxer, but for people who want a 575M to *drive*, the car will be an excellent candidate for purchase.

My 2c.

3. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    What is a good price for a 15k mi 575M? What year?

I've heard 550/575 are pretty much bullet proof and can be daily driven without issues. I would have it inspected. Of course, all service records are mandatory.

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    need to establish if it has the GTC package

5. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    At 15K miles it needs a major service (belts, fluids etc.) If it this service hasn't been performed, I've been told to expect to pay between $5-$8K. Other than that, the 575M is Ferrari's best kept secret. It's bullet-proof.

6. yetis

yetis Rookie

Nov 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    High miles? Really? It was driven 7K miles a year. I am at the very early part of the learning curve, but is common to assume a cardriven 7k miles a year is a "high Mile" car in the Modern(355/360/550/456) Ferrari world?

Is there anyone out there with a 100k on the clock?

7. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    My 550 has only 59,000 miles on it. I met a man a week ago with 108,000 miles on his beautiful 456.
    :)
    12 cylinders or walk

8. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    You go Bart, blazing the path where no fchatters have dared to tread......

I have 27k and climbing on the 360. I will never catch you but am not EVER losing any sleep about mileage when I get behind the wheel, that is FO SURE!

Richard, I had a 550 and have driven the 575 and they seem very capable of putting normal miles on and personally, I would not hesitate to get a car like you described, especially if the price is right. Its all the same in the end. Also my 550 was a full garage queen and was the most expensive ferrari maintanace to date. I have since avoided low mileage fcars and its been smooth sailing.

9. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Mileage on a 12-cylinder Ferrari is never an issue as long as it's been properly maintained. Make sure you don't pay too much for it though - it's true you'll always be able to re-sell it, but you'll get a lot less money for it in the end.

I saw a one-owner Daytona last year which was still running strong (ok, a bit oily :) ) at 125,000 miles, engine original and never touched.

I have seen several 550 Maranellos with more than 50,000 miles on them. In Switzerland it is not uncommon for these cars to notch up impressive mileages. When I asked one of Italy's most important Ferrari dealers if a cheap 65,000 miles Maranello could make a good "restoration project" he just laughed - he says the engine, gearbox, suspension and interior trim of the 550 can survive three times that mileage before needing a serious overhaul.

Modern Ferraris are not dissimilar to high performance BMWs and Porsches - just keep them serviced and they'll go on forever.

10. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Just sold a '03 575 with 11.7 Mi in 26 mo and took a huge hit due to its "high mileage"
    It's a great virtually trouble free car however make sure you get the price down if you are buying one that isn't a garage queen because as said above mileage is a big factor when selling.
    It is the great paradox that no one wants a garage queen but the seller takes a big hit when selling a car with 6k mi /yr

11. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Richard:
    I think the 550/575's are the best value going for an every day driveable Ferrari. Like everyone says here, don't overpay and over the long term you should be alright since these cars have taken the biggest hit in depreciation with the first owner.
    A car with 15K miles, I would probably have a 30K service performed which includes the belts. Figure about 5K for that. Your car might still have a warranty, if not, have the dealer do the service and pay him an extra 5K for a full 2 year Power warranty. It is worth the peace of mind. That is what I did with my 2000 550.
    I have heard that the V12 in these cars are good for over 100K miles easy.
    Good luck
    Gary

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yup, there's always a zero bid.