512BB run | FerrariChat

512BB run

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by J.P.Sarti, Nov 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    #1 J.P.Sarti, Nov 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had a nice run this morning, perfect weather though a little cool, the new Eibach race springs and Konis make the car handle incredible, very tight and nimble/tossable and rides real well over rough roads.

Had some chick in a brand new Maserati Spider with her top down and what looked like a performance package on the car as the wheels were very wide and it had a roll bar blow by me after I stopped and cut off my line in a 2 lane corner thinking she was some kind of race driver as I was coming through the inside lane, the next corner I showed her what a old Ferrari can do, not only did I out brake her with my BBLM calipers but her car was leaning like a 50s Chevy sedan and loosing traction in a tight corner and I went by her with little effort and a lot of noise, I can see why Ferrari prefered the 12s in his race cars instant torque when you need it. I hope to find a 360 driver on this road as well soon or better yet a Diablo.

This is also with my lousy Pirelli P600 tires wait till I get my race Hoosiers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  3. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    JP, sounds like she's a runner. Are you swapping wheels to for different tire fitment or does Hoosier make tires for the oem rims?

4. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Hoosier makes a vintage race tire in 15" so I am keeping the stock rims which I prefer, since they are a race tire they have stiffer sidewalls to offset the high profile of the 60 series tires, they are also stickier of course and will wear faster though.

5. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice. Is that Ariz. or S. CAlif.?
    So the 512 is faster than a 360 eh? I have never driven one, but love the idea of 12cyl's midship. Are the predictable as you get to the limits?

6. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Actually outside Las Vegas at Lake Mead National Park, faster than a 360 don't know but its all in good fun, the handling is very predictable at the limits I have hit so far and tight and nimble with throttle steering easily, have not tried oversteer at 100+mph though.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    J.P can you tell us about the springs/shocks on your car. On myboxer with modern rubber I find that if braking hard downhill from say 100mph the front compresses a lot and the rear end jacks up, the car gets a type of wobble similar to a motorcycle without a steering damper. Its controllable but a little unsettling and feels like the rebound damping is too loose, but of course stock boxer suspension is not adjustable.

With mosern rubber I can absolutly corner with a 360, even on the track. Comming out of a slow corner the boxer has the drop an a 360 due to all the torque. Above 100 or so the 360 will start to walk away. Mine is a BBI so a bb may have better results. I think with a better inj system and bb cams the boxer motor will happily put out over 400bhp so its all possible.

Also can you tell me about your brakes. I have competition pads on the stock system, more thaan adquate for fast street use, but the one time it was on the track, braking with a 360 cooked the brakes in 3 laps, fixable witha fluid change, but no help at the time.

The boxer has a lot of potential, and that classic feel. Ferrari did not fully develop it, bit these days modern rubber shocks brakes and a few other sympathetic changes can make a huge improvment and negate tghe traditional weakenesses. So please lets trade info on what works and what doesnt.

Maybee one of theses days we can organise a bicoastal boxer gathering.

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    #8 J.P.Sarti, Nov 20, 2005
    I replcaed the stock springs with Eibach race springs which also lowered the car a bit, went to slightly heavier weights as well. Rears went to 4 150lb 12" stock springs are around 120lbs 13", fronts went to 225lb 12" stock is around under 200lbs 13". Thesee springs are 1/2 the weight of stock as well reducing unsprung weight, being race springs they are linear in their damping as well, who knows how the stock springs are in that regard.

I also replaced with just stock new Koni shocks. The car handles perfectly under hard braking and cornering, even better than my 328.

Brakes are drilled rotors with AP Racing light alloy CP 2270 calipers.

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

j.p.

heading out for the coffee run in a few minutes in the boxer. btw, your car looks really good w/ that low ride height. it must look like a gtp car parked next to the tall 360.

i too will need to get an idea of the cost to convert the brakes or at least rotors first...my rotors have some small heat cracks showing. time for rotors!

how much and from where?

best,

pcb

10. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    #10 J.P.Sarti, Nov 20, 2005
  11. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Peter, lucky for me the PO did the brake mods, I have seen the AP racing 2279 calipers for around $3000 for a pair, rotors are stock just drilled.

Have fun on your run!

Regards

Jeff

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You guys are killing me, mines away for the winter, snow on the ground and everything....

13. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Got you beat. Mine's in pieces with a broken exhaust valve that torched the number 4 cylinder. :( DMAX

14. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    That really bites.

What happened?

I thought the motor had just been gone through by Carobu and he replaced the sodium valves with stainless.

15. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    #15 J.P.Sarti, Nov 21, 2005
    Here's another pic I took this morning for you guys unable to drive your Boxers.

Car is getting dialed in well, the brakes are very impressive in their stopping power and it stops on a dime, the spring rates are perfect as well as the car is very stable and firm and predictable in hard cornering with slight power oversteer, going to too firm a spring rate causes the car to bounce a bit I am told.Car gets up to high speeds very quickly and is very stable.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Gee thanks for the pic, lol, it does look great though. And sorry about your luck DMAX, I dont feel so bad anymore but I have mixed emotions about it, could be me next winter with a hurt engine. I dont like those sodium valves, the 308s seem to have their fair share of failures in that department and now I have something to worry about in addition to the quill shaft breaking someday on a hard downshift.

Post some pics if you can of the procedure.

P.

17. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Well, I cant find any record of the valves being replaced, and in reality its a moot point, they weren't. They will be now.

I was leaving the grocery store parking lot, I'd guess at about 4 to 4.5 grand in first as I approached the intersection, blipped, shifted into second, pushed on the accellerator and something went "crack" really loud and then steady tapping as I coasted to the curb.

Richard at FOW mentioned two different stainless valve manufacturers, any suggestions? One of them, I cant remember which, is what they build into their F40 clients cars.

DMAX

18. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Wow Matt, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that BB puked so soon. The "new car smell" hadn't even worn off.
    Sound expensive too...

Good luck,
    John

19. ferraripete

dopple,

i am very sorry to hear of your bad luck. i had similar bad luck w/ my boxer several years ago. these cars are hugely expensive to operate and maintain but don't loose hope!

it might be a good thing to start another thread so that we can follow your cars progress.

btw, my car was in the shop for 2 years and 20k for this and that...related to the input shaft shearing. i suspect you will have better luck than i did.

unless you start changing oil lines, clutch, hoses h20 pump...you know , all the things that you can think of while the engine is out.

big boy cars these boxers...would trade it for the world!

20. ferraripete

btw jeff,

that picture is fantastic!!! what a car and what a backdrop!!!!!

21. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

Just to clarify.... you "would" or "wouldn't" trade it for the world :)

I think I may start that follow thread if you guys are interested. I expect to see the second number there, but hopefully not the two years one. I hope to have her back by mid-December, so I can stare at her in the garage I guess.

Contact with Carabou starts today, we'll see what they say. Both heads are going out regardless, all the valves are going bye-bye, or should I say buy-buy.

DMAX

22. ferraripete

sorry...would ...NOT...trade it for the world

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #24 RP, Nov 22, 2005
    Boxers certainly do look better lowered, not to mention better conering from improved springs.

Koni adjustables, custom springs, lowered a bit over 2".

24. ferraripete

now i know how my car would look! holly *****...i must have that suspension and ride height!

thank you for posting that picture.

and matt, my two year exception was an exception. i ran into a mechanic that lied to and cheated me at every instance. i had a terrible experience but still ...would not trade it for the world!

we will all get you through this!!!!