What are governments supposed to do? | FerrariChat

What are governments supposed to do?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 62 250 GTO, Nov 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    This isn't about any one government, nor is it "politics and religion". It's about the "idea" of government.

I was unlucky enough to grow up in a country that gave me the choice of not studying history and I chose incorrectly. In the last several years I have been catching up on the roll of governments. The one I came to learn through the media isn't real and the only reason governments were put into place in the first place was to line the pockets of the ones in power. And I believe this still holds true today.

It seems to me, quite simple. A group of people will run a country until they become so unpopular that the people rise up and threaten to throw them out of government. So that group throws out ideas and promises to the public in order to stay in power. We can say yes or no, and most times we say yes to the group in power. Maybe out of laziness, selfishness or worst of all ignorance. People in power steal, lie or cheat to some degree and every country's population allows it. Governments are aligned with every major industry and the heads of these industries can become close friends with the leaders of the country.

True meaning of Government: Built to make the ones at the top rich and powerful.

True meaning of Government with the spin: Built to make the ones at the top rich and powerful. Yet, you can't tell the people this or they won't listen, so let's say "we are here to help lead the country into a wonderful, strong future".

Current meaning of Government although nothing has changed: "Built to lead the country into a wonderful, strong future".

Forget where I'm from, forget you're from, is any of this true? And if so, why is it still in operation? It can't be good for the future of anyone.

That's as simple as I can make it.

Doesn't this seem a little like Julius Caesar or Achilles and Agamemnon?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You need to go back and read what the Founding Fathers of our country said over 200 years ago. Read Franklin, Jefferson, Adams, Hamilton etc. etc. etc.

These guys knew that they were making history while they were designing was still remains the greatest experiment in self government in the history of the world. Born in compromise, the U.S. Constitution is still humanity's greatest moment.

In my opinion, the only flaw is what my old Economics professor used to call the "Dictatorship of the Minority." Simply put, in our Republic, it is cost effective for minority groups, such as steel companies and steel unions, to form coalitions to raise money to make political contributions, aka bribes, to achieve a political benefit, such as high steel tariffs, that benefits themselves, but harms the rest of us.

Unfortunately for the majority, it is not worth it for us to band together to fight these special interest groups. A high steel tariff, for example, might cost me $500 more when I buy a car. But even if I know about this hidden charge, it is not worth it for me to fight it.

In theory, the various economic minority groups should balance each other. In practice, it is one big inside the beltway circle jerk. For example, subsitute just about any industry for steel in the above example, such as sugar or farming or whatever, and the story stays the same. The politicians and lobbyists get rich, and you and I are another day deeper in debt.

The solution is be to ban ALL political contributions, but for obvious reasons that ain't never gonna happen.

Outside of this flaw, however, the United States still represents the high water mark. Let's just hope that the tide keeps rising.

Dale

3. ferrarigtofan

ferrarigtofan Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    USA
    To create security for the governed, unfortunately governments have convinced themselves they can do anything and everything.

The type of egos required to run for higher office, combine with the low pay results in lousy choices usually. I'm waiting for Trump to run for NYC Mayor, he's a blow hard w/ cash, he'd be the perfect politician.

I believe most think they can make a difference, eventually they learn the only positive outcome of politics is to line their own pockets. So while you see the corruption as the goal, I see it as a consequence.

4. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I am not so sure that those are enough "qualities" to make him, or anyone, the perfect politician.

5. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    every one is there own perfect politician arnt they?

6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    ...right down to any given Californian HOA.