anyone ever break their sternum? | FerrariChat

anyone ever break their sternum?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ryan S., Nov 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I broke mine back in highschool when i used to race bikes, never had it worked on. Now that ive been working out hard(lots of pushup/bench, etc.) its kind of hurting. Has anyone dealt with this? Its kind of like the sternum is trying to realign itself as new muscle is being added near it. Im going to get it checked out but im just wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar thing. To the best of my knowledge there isnt much they can do for the sternum. Well, there is a fairly intrusive operation, but ive heard its not really needed? anyone know?

2. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    Broke mine in High school football, never had it worked on! Never took time off either....just took a pair of socks and taped it to my chest and hit the field! I still have alump on my sternum but over time it has gone down! Hardy noticable now. It doesn't really bother me much anymore! After about a year it stopped being painful. I was an athlete in college (shot putter), so I did planty of lifting and still do! It just doesn't bother me anymore! Of course, it's been 11 years since I broke it! I'd go get it checked out if it's painful for you. Your may have not healed very well. Not sure what they can actually do for it!

J

3. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    thats exactly whats going on, i have the lump and everything. And i too never got it worked on, and was riding right after it happend. Just got the wind knocked out of me but kept going...I think its just sore from me working out so much. I do feel that the "lump" is kind of going down the more i work out..

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #4 writerguy, Nov 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

No brain no pain
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    Must be common...I cracked mine (or should I say someone else cracked mine) in High School football. Got hit head-on with a helmet - hurt like hell for a long time. I remember that day like it was yesterday, as the pain was intense and made running especially difficult.

Fortunately that was over 30 years ago. It's no longer is an issue, but it took awhile (like 10 years) before I could say that. Good luck!

6. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    As with any injury like this.......ice and motrin! That's really all that can be done! Ice 20 minutes on, half hour off! Motrin (ibprofin) up to 800mg at a time! Should take an swelling or inflamation away! DO NOT HEAT! Heat will promote swelling a fluid build up and does not promote healing....ice does!

J

7. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    A fat chick just happened to have fallen on me once.:D

8. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    I fractured mine in a motorcycle accident about 11 years ago. It hurts now and then, nothing major. Never had to wear a brace or anything. It just healed itself. I hope it doesnt get real bad when I get older.

9. BAM

BAM Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    no matter what you do...when a bone breaks, it will bug you when you are older. im only 21 and have busted myself up a couple of times. hands,fingers,shoulder,elbows,shin,one toe, teeth(not bones,but still not fun)knuckles...all not fun in their own respect, but nothing feels the same as id did b4.

10. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IIRC, 90% of the time, a break on a "weight bearing" bone, will result with Arthritis of that bone with Old age.

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I've seen this a few times. I have a patient with it right now ironically. I am a Chiropractor just to let you know. It is not likely to be your sternum that is hurting. That healed a long time ago. It is more likely your rib joints where they join the sternum that hurt. They may have old scar tissue in them being irritated. Chiropractic or Physical Therapy may help to break this up.

12. weimar97

weimar97 Karting

May 21, 2004
    mine was broken while I was at the police academy. My squad was in DT week (defensive tactics) and the instructors were showing us different strikes. I sort of got in the way of one of the instructors as he was showing off - got hit directly in the sternum. That put me on my ass. For a week, to be exact. Doesn't hurt anymore but it was 4 years ago....

My guess is that you might have strained it. It's my understanding that some parts of our body weaken with each successive strain/fracture. Guess that's part of growing old, eh?

13. el Carnicero

el Carnicero Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2005
    West of Laramie
    Wait til you hit 50+ and have an AMI. 3-4-5 vessel CABG. Then tell us how much your freakin sternum hurts.

14. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    and that in english is?

15. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    AMI = Acute Myocadial Infarction = heart attack
    CABG = Coronary Artery Bypass Graft with replacement of major vessels by borrowing from other body part (saphenous leg veins, etc)

16. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    ooooh obviously!! hahaha