328 : underbody pics for experts meaning | FerrariChat

328 : underbody pics for experts meaning

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F328GTS/GTB, Nov 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F328GTS/GTB

F328GTS/GTB Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    #1 F328GTS/GTB, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear all,

Last week-end, I was checking a 1988 328.
    I send you some pictures of underbody, to get your advices and meaning.

I found one oil leak, from gear selection oil seal.
    I found some rusted areas, and would like to have your meaning to know if it is in average of what can be seen on other 328 cars, or worst or better.

Thanks for all advices you can send from those pictures !!
    All pics will be sent in separate thread.

thanks and forza Ferrari,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The glob looks like they joined the car back together after it was cut in half! Just kidding. Who knows? could have had a hole poked in the floor and it was fixed that way. The oil leak is normal or typical from the shaft seal. The foam chewed up is probably from the valve cover being removed for valve adjustment service or engine removal in the past. The rust under the battery is normal due to acid leaking from the battery in the past or just normal rust from water. Looks like the car is a high miler to me and used in the rain often.

P.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The foam area on the firewall on a US car would be covered by a stainless steel heat shield. I would have thought that a Canadian car would be the same.

The oil leak while not uncommon can be fixed.

The rest of it, well in California we just don't see them that way.

4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Agree with these guys. Overall looks like it needs some R&R.

On the engine mount, pull the engine mounts off (use floor jack, can generally do one or two at a time without too much drama. What the stress you put on the water pipes et al) and check the elasticity of each. What you are seeing looks cosmetic but check the "sag" on each and the amount you can compress each.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Edit. I thought you were in Canada for some reason but I see you are in France. That better explains why there is no heat shield on the firewall area.
    The foam is unsightly but will be hard to do a really nice job until you have a reason to pull the motor and get good access.

6. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Cars had somewhat of a hard life, looks driven year round and left outside, they must use alot of salt on the roads in France.

Here's my take, if this is a car you plan to keep for a long time I would pass, its going to need some major restoration work in the future, with rust its like and ice berg as what you don't see is far worse, if you just want a car to drive for a few years and get it cheap I don't see a major problem other than the oil leak.

7. F328GTS/GTB

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    #7 F328GTS/GTB, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks to me that a mileage of 33k may be understated for this car. Given the condition of the footrests. The pedals themselves look like there is not much wear however the left foot rest appears more worn than say the gas pedal. If you can, with the reflection of a mirror, look behind the brake and gas pedal for signs of them being changed. I would imagine that the gas pedal would have about equal wear, esp on the corners. just my 2 cents. DO you have a pic of the exterior?

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hole in shield in Pic 1 is OK Normal...

Scrapes on the bottom of car where it bottoms on driveways...normal.

I agree on pedal comment, they must be new, as dead pedal shows greater wear!!!!

I'm no expert......

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You guys are harsh. It's just a car that has been driven a bit. BELIEVE ME if it were driven with salt a lot it would look MUCH MUCH worse than it does. Those little bits of rust are minor.

Everyone says "don't buy a garage queen because it will need a lot of attention" and then when someone wants to buy a driver showing a little use, everyone says "Oh man, don't buy that POS, someone actually DROVE it! God knows what's wrong with it!"

Birdman

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree, Birdman!

He should post some pics of the top........the BEAUTY is what draws you in....

The stuff underneath the beauty, is what wears you out! LOL!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have to go look on mine, for that underbody stalagtite, though......:rolleyes:

13. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't see anything too serious on the items you have shown, the engine mount looks like it needs to be changed and the oil leak is pretty normal on a 328, it needs to be fixed some time. The rust is just superficial from what I can see and the damage to the front fiberglass under tray is common, and caused from grounding on speed bumps. The dead pedal does look a little worn and could indicate the car was driven with the speedo disconnected. Check the control technique documents to see if the kilometers were changing each time. The engine bay foam on my car (an 87 328GTS) looks just like this and is due to old age and exposure to heat, I plan to remove it and stick on some aluminium faced insulation one day. If the car is in good condition you should expect to pay about 35K euros, so if you are serious about buying it then use these '' bad '' points to negotiate the price down. And don't forget to get the maintenance history, especially the cam belt and tensioner bearings change. Bonne Chance !!

14. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The exhaust looks stock..(not a Tubi) the rust on the exhaust supports look normal..
    The rust on the rear bonnet..that looks a little excessive..the front spoiler..normal..things that could be redone

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Show pics of the control arm bushings and cv boots as well as the rack boots for signs of leaks. An exterior shot would be nice.

16. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

328s were galvanized, to see that degree of rust starting shows a hard life, both my 328 and 512 look new in the frames and inner body panels, this car will have serious rust issues starting in hidden areas I am sure.

17. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have begun an all out assault on the underside of my 77 308 GTB in the last few days, and so far have removed all the brakes and suspension. Next will be the underbody panel and fuel tanks. My car indicates 50K miles and has spent most of its life here in sunny cold and salty Minnesota. I will post some pics soon, but my car is in no where near as rusty condition as this 328. While I dont think this car is in "poor" condition, its surely not in prime condition either. But your pictures of this 328 make me feel much more enthusiastic about my lowly 308, as I plunder along in quiet resolution.

18. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Denis

From what i see from the underside of the 328 to me it looks ok. My 328 has 21k miles on the clock (genuine) and I would say that it is similar to what you have shown in your pictures. I am this winter undergoing a clean up of the underbody but I comment as follows:-

Exhaust looks standard
    Exhaust hangers rusting is normal
    Damage to front tray is normal remember the car is only 110mm above the gound at this point
    Damage to foam at rear of engine is due to back head being removed/work being undertaken
    Rust on engine bay cover is normal on an 18 year old car in Europe, very easy fix to repaint
    General photos of uderbody to me are normal.

Remember that this car is 18 years old or so and needs somw work but no what I wouldn't expect.

I also bet that if you check the suspension wishbones rust will also be showing on the edges. Normal.

Mark

19. F328GTS/GTB

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    #19 F328GTS/GTB, Nov 22, 2005

Thanks for all your comments. I have some questions:
    1. Can you please explain your meaning regarding the dead pedal ? Do you mean that the dead pedal wearness seems higher than a 33.000 miles car one ?
    2. Today, the car is around 38 keuros. There is some oil leak problem that need to be fixed.

3. I send you som pictures (external)...

Best regards,

20. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Mmmmmm.... GTB with ABS. Very nice. Not too many 328s in GTB form around. Also, didn't all 328's come with the electric "flag" mirrors? This car looks to have the old "Euro" mirrors that came on the Euro 308s.

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Agreed, the car is nice for the price. More rust than I would see here in Texas, but a desirable and rare(ish) car.

Mirrors are correct for Euro model 328

22. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I agree that the dead pedal wear looks excessive. Pull the rubber off of the brake pedal and see if they've drilled holes for aftermarket pedals. Chances are they were not using that clutch and brake rubber but only put it back on to sell the car.

23. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Ciao.
    Just my .02 euros. My 328 has now 31.000 Km, so it is a bit younger than the one in the pictures. It is a 1986 and has always been driven in North Italy, it means in comparable conditions with the car that is being seen in this thread. My car has no rust whatsoever in the engine compartment and the general conditions of the bottom are quite better (sorry, no pictures as I am in Philippines and the car is in Italy). Together with the inconsistency of the pedals wear, it could well indicate a far higher mileage than the recorded one.
    I cannot say just based on the pictures if the car is worth the asking price, but frankly it seems a bit high to me. I know that ASKING prices are on the high in Europe now, but perhaps you can find something better for the same money.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

24. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Must admit my 43000km 89 car has no rust underneath either. I know from reciepts that it was regularly dinitroled though.Only rust i have encountered is under the rubber door seal where it was riveted into place....i will get it sorted soon, it just looks like an awkward job. I personally would keep looking unless the car is cheap.

25. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    They continued the euro mirrors on euro 328's