high-pitched sound from F355 | FerrariChat

high-pitched sound from F355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AZLambo, Nov 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have a '95 F355B, and lately I get this "high-pitched" sound......like someone blowing one of those dog whistles that you can barely hear except for the high-pitched sound. It is coming somewhere from the engine bay.
    Any thoughts?

2. BH1

BH1 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    NSB, Fl & Aspen, Co
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have a similar whistle, although faint...... sounds kinda cool!!

3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    When you first start the 355 you will hear the whistle/whine of the fuel pump. You should hear it for about the first 3 minutes (or so) when starting from cold.

Perfectly normal...

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Get a mechanics stethescope, or a peice of tube to listen with, and try to find were the hit pitch is coming from.

It could be a loose accessory belt, loose vacume tube, a bearing going bad, a leaking exhaust header, etcetera.

So find where in the engine bay the noise is coming from.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It sounds like you are describing the air injection pump. If the fuel pump stopped making noise after the first 3 minutes or so the car would stop.
    The noise made by the immersed fuel pump pretty much requires a stethescope to hear.

6. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    i have the same noise... a high pitch sound that last until car has warmed up. i didn't notice it until i had my 30k done............

7. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Rifle - I stand corrected and you are absolutely correct... Got my pumps backwards.

8. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Yep - exactly - air pump.
    If you want to be 100% sure... Start the car cold and open the hood. Stand at back of car. The pump is located in the right rear corner of the engine compartment, right by your turn signal/brake light assembly. You'll see a black canister and the sound will be coming from there :)

9. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What is the purpose of the air injection pump, and why is it so audible during the initial warm up phase.

10. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I asked my mechanic about this about two weeks ago, specifically regarding Rich's prior car (355), and was told that the air pump is an emissions control item. If I have this right, I believe he said that it injects air into the exhaust system to help burn (?) unburnt hydrocarbons that pass through the engine before the car has warmed up. He said that my 328, instead of an air pump, has a valve that brings in more air through a venturi effect, thereby accomplishing more or less the same thing.

11. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    A few years later and you guys still talk about my 355 ;)

I told you - you should have bought her...

Now don't miss out on the Gallardo for Sale!!!

Rich

12. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    As Cincy said, it is an emissions item. It only runs for 2-3 minutes when the car is cold. They are noisy because over time, the impellar of the pump (made of plastic) gets brittle and starts to break up causing a different flow of air from when it was initially designed, and intact.