328: Instrument lights went out! | FerrariChat

328: Instrument lights went out!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Nov 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's a weird one (or maybe not so weird).

I decided to replace the car's tachometer, which has not worked right as long as I've had the car. Unfortunately, the new tach had a minor problem that I wanted to get fixed before installation, and the seller agreed to footing the bill to have it sent to Palo Alto Speedometer, where it currently is. (More on this episode in a later thread.)

I had already removed the old tach and elected not to replace it; since I didn't plan on running at high revs anytime soon, I could drive the car fine without any tach. (Eventually I put the old one back just to fill the hole!) I pushed the panel the speedo and tach mount to back into position but didn't reattach the screws.

Now, everything else is working fine with one notable exception: at night I have no instrument lighting at all, and that includes the three gauges in the center of the dash! The gauges themselves are still working fine, except, of course, for the disconnected tach.

Here's one other point: the indicator lights embedded in some of the gauges are still working properly! This includes the turn-signal indicators, the lights-on indicator, the low oil-pressure light (briefly at startup) and the low-fuel warning light. So why do these lights still work, while the gauge back-lighting does not?

Does the lack of a hooked-up tachometer have anything to do with this? Or the fact that the central panel is not attached with screws? Oh, yes, the fuses are fine.

2. radioman

radioman Karting
    BANNED

Sep 25, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    CHRIS
    i would have thought that one of the wires has come off the panel lights, they are all in parallel, the indicator mimic lights are on a different curcuit.

good luck finding it