275GTB vs Daytona | FerrariChat

275GTB vs Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by J.P.Sarti, Nov 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Both cars are very similar underneath their skin with the Daytona weighing more but how do they compare in handling and performance?

Thanks

2. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The 275 GTB is like an Olympic Gymnast and the Daytona is like a super heavy weight Boxer.

I had over 10yrs with a 275 GTB/4. I prefer the agility and finesse of the 275.

3. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Well said.

I've owned a short nose 275 6 carb and 2 Daytona's.

The 275 is a much lighter car and very fun to drive. The Daytona is a truck but a very fast truck.

Drew

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Unfortunately I haven't owned either, but I have read that the Daytona drives like a truck under 80 mph and is a joy above that.

5. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I realize the Daytona is heavier but I thought the Daytona was essentially the same car underneath as the 275GTB, with different bodywork outside, even the first prototype Daytona was a hybrid 275 so where does all the extra weight come from?

6. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    For one thing, the engine in the Daytona is significantly larger than the 275. If you want a car that is relatively close to the 275 GTB but slightly detuned, go for a 275 GTS and save a few hundred thou.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Meh , i drove the Daytona in traffic and it didnt feel like a truck at all. Sure its no Maranello but no truck either. I loved it. Felt so sure footed and posed. Brakes were great , torque amazing and noise , one of the best.

Drove a 275 GTB/2, it really needed to be revved to have some speed. Lovely car but felt really underpowered after a Daytona .

PDB likes this.
  8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Truck? Ive been driving my Daytona for a few years now and other than the steering being a bit heavy at parking lot speeds I have no idea where the truck comments come from. Probably from some limp wristed panty-waist girly man magazine writer somewhere.

In a truck, you sit up high. The body leans in corners like mad if pushed at all. The understeer is horrid. The brakes are a joke. The weight is all in the nose and none out back, the controls give basically no feedback and the ride is pure utility. I find NONE of that in the Daytona.

The Daytona is about torque and aggression. The harder you drive it, the better it gets. YOU command it.... do not expect it to drive itself, the car responds best to purposeful piloting.

Honestly, I think much of the "truck" labelling comes from people driving the Daytona with a very poor seating position. The seats does offer decent adjustment but the pedals can also be adjusted. If your driving someone elses car however, you are unlikely to adjust the pedals and this may lead to a less than optimum driving position resulting in bad angles relative to manipulating the controls. What is actually pretty decent steering when moving over 5mph can feel very heavy if your struggling with an arms straight legs splayed driving position.

If the Daytona is such a heavy truck and the 275 the light and good handling car, then why did the Daytona have the far longer and more successful racing career?

I have never driven a 275GTB. If any owners would like to swap some seat time with a Daytona.... just let me know!

Terry

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Actually, I think it comes from people that grew up driving V8s first. My 365 is "truck like" compared to either of the other cars, but I'll chicken out before the car does. Heavy, but fast enough for me.

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've never driven a 275 (I'd love to!), but I have driven a Daytona and the "truck" comments are off the mark. As Terry wrote, it is a bit heavy at parking speeds, but as soon as you get above 30 or so it's fine.

Personally, I was surprised at how similar my 365 2+2 was to the Daytona, other than the steering at low speed.

drew365 likes this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Someone needs to show Malcolm this thread. He has both.

Dale

12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #12 malcolmb, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    cluboutrun, Ozeskiman, LARRYH and 2 others like this.
  13. Church of Noise

Sep 23, 2005
    Malcolm,

I'd love to have a high res version of the top picture, would that be possible please? Thanks!

Alex

*edit: actually, they're all great pictures!*

14. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Hope to get into your conversation one of these days.... I can't imagine myself owning one of these legends yet.............!!!!!

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Malcomb,

Whats in Arkansas? FFQC is delayed until spring, right? I doubt we will be going this next event anyhow. My Daytona is in the tear down phase of a total suspension rebuild and upgrade, plus I am doing lots of other cosmetic stuff and building a cold-air induction box. The RSR is finally due to arrive hopefully this week and thats going to be sucking up massive amounts of time as well, I hope to have it on track no later than March.

Fantastic pics! Give us your driving impressions comparing the two cars!

Terry

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think FFQc is all the way to next November.......put that thing back together!

MB, Awesome pics!

ttyl..........

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Malcom, you should make a poster out of that top pic. It's a great one.

LARRYH likes this.
  18. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Terry, FFQC is next nov, plenty of time to put it back together. Check Chris Parr for details abput Sept, or look in "midwest". I will get to the driving impressions soon.
    Donv, I make 30 x 40" posters from high res files on my office plotter and put them on my office walls.Look good from 10 feet, just like the cars.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While Daytonas look great, a 275GTB looks much better IMHO.

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Malcolm, I will be at Crystal Cove on Dec. 10th. Hopefully, the weather will be good, and I can see you there.

Dale

21. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I like the nose of the 275 better, but I like the rear end of the Daytona better. I also think the Daytona looks better in side profile angle but the 275 looks better from a front quarter angle. They each have their plus's and minus's but both offer a great package overall. I have never been in love with the 275's bulges and scoops and such, but its a minor point.

Terry

22. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Malcolm

Nice wheels you have !!!!!!!

_

I am with Terry. I hope the market tanks.

Maybe I can trade a box of Tamiflu for a 275 GTB/4 ? (lol)

23. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    OK Dale, I know you, call me on the 9th to confirm, you will have plenty of time to make calls from behind the wheel as you move from malibu to NB at rush hour-stock up on water for that trip.....and DONT make eye contact or you lose.

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Nothing at all. I went to several Wal-Marts the other night looking for a MIG welder that was on
    close-out sale at another store. (A friend of mine bought the last one.) One of the more rural
    Wal-Marts looked like a red neck convention. More mullet hair cuts than you could shake a hickory stick at. And more overweight heifers dragging overweight whining kids than you could tolerate in one outing. Saw several guys getting out of a truck, walking into the store, and they were straight from the deer hunting camp. Both wearing camo overalls and they hadn't even bothered taking off their blaze orange safety vests.
    Not exactly "Ferrari country".

strandedpreposition likes this.
  25. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Feelin' a mite defensive Arlie?

john a barnes likes this.