308 Interior resto/remodel | FerrariChat

308 Interior resto/remodel

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jdubbya, Nov 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 Jdubbya, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With lot's of help from folks here I was finally able to get ALL the interior parts out of my 308 for resto/recover/remodel, whatever you want to call it. There are plenty of threads here on how to do most of this stuff so I'm not going to go into great detail. I will say this, as usual this job turned out to be WAY more work than I thought it would be.

A few of the glitches that I encountered were, realizing the the rear glass and windshield needed to come out to get the dash and rear deck trim out. The windshield breaking while trying to get the trim off. The speedo falling apart in my hands while taking the cluster out. Finding out that the console was sagging because the resin was cracking. Realizing that the heat shield in the engine bay needs to come out to get the bottom rear window surround out. And the list goes on.

This job can be done (so far, I haven't gotten it back together yet!) by the average do-it-yourselfer. As always with these cars plan for the unexpected and double your first estimated budget (money and time).

I'll post a few pics of before and during and will hopefully be posting the after pics in a matter of weeks. As you can see from the before pics this project was long overdue for this car.

The new interior will be all black with red inserts and stitching. There's one pic of the new carpet to give you an idea of the color scheme.

John

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
  3. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    How many hours do you have into it right now??

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    John,
    I'm tired & sore just looking at the pictures, not to mention my wallet is squealing. Sure will be nice when done.
    Bill

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Too many! Actually most of it's not bad. The seats, door panels, most of the trim and the console are all pretty straight forward. I had most of the stuff out in one afternoon. The rest however (dash, rear trim etc.) took longer. I spent more time trying to figure out what was holding the dash in place than anything else!!

Me too but it'll all be worth it in a few weeks when it's done (I Hope!!).

6. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    wow....

that's a very ambitious undertaking, john....
    i am sure it will look great. good luck

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I likey the new carpet John!!!!!

It's gonna look sweet

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had that done to mine back in 02. I replaced EVERYTHING in there too. I am not going to tell anyone what I paid. I wouldn't be allowed back in here just for being a total complete dumbass.

9. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed

10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 Jdubbya, Nov 22, 2005
    The dash is actually a fiberglass piece that fits over the aluminium "box". The dash is bolted to the "box" at both ends (2 bolts each) out in the door hinge area (see pic below). There is also a piece of trim that rivets the front of the dash to the "box". This trim piece is under the bottom of the windshield (see other pic below).

This was the biggest and, as it turns out for me, most costly surprise of the whole job so far. I thought the dash would come out without removing the windshield.

I've got to finish cleaning the windshield frame and dash "box" up and then start on removing the old carpet and installing the new. Should have most of the interior back from the upholstery shop in about two weeks.

11. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks awesome John!!! That's gonna be the prettier of the twins for sure... Can't wait to see the finished product.

12. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    great job. my seats are black with red piping and the carpets are black with red ferrari logo. I know i'm prejudiced but i like that color combo. look forward to seeing pictures of the finished job. jon s.

13. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hey John, I am sure it's going to look awesome when done. Let's just hope you have it back together in time for next years Walla Walla run!!! Just kidding. : )

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Funny funny funny. I'm hoping to have it done before Christmas. My original goal was Thanksgiving. I shoulda known. Good seeing you the other day by the way. I never put you and your F-chat name together. Now I know!

15. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Great project!

One piece of advice, though: Stabilant 22a.

Coat every electrical connection now while you've got easy access. It lasts for years and will save you countless electrical headaches in the future.

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    This is a terrific thread; pictures are great and it is enjoyable to see how these things are put together. I am quite inspired to at least re-carpet my car.
    Many thanks and Good luck!

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Awesome!

Can't wait to see some after pics!!

Make sure to post more pics as you move along. :)

18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

I had planned that. Thanks for reminding me that I need to order some!

19. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    John,
    Wow, what an incredible job! It has to be a labor of love for all the many, many hours you have put into the project. Keep us updated.

20. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    John,

I need to replace my rear shelf but I just can't figure out how the hell to remove it. Any chance you could post pics of where the rear shelf is held down. I have looked and looked, searched the archives but I can't figure it out. I do know that the rear side windows need to be removed to access some rivets.

Thanks
    Bill

21. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #21 Jdubbya, Nov 23, 2005

Whether you are talking about just the shelf itself or all the trim around the rear shelf/window makes a big difference. The rear shelf on my car was essentially three pieces. The two large halves and the center strip (see first pic).

To get that out the rear quarter windows do need to come out. They are only held by the gasket and maybe a little silicone. From inside the car GENTLY peel the edge back until you can feel the glass. Then VERY GENTLY start working around the window, peeling the rubber back (actually in towards the center of the window) and pushing the glass out of the frame. Go slow and like I said, BE GENTLE.

Once you get the window out it's simply a matter of drilling the rivets out. There is a 90deg flange on the deck piece that rivets to the frame around the window (see rivet holes in pic#2). The top rivet holes hold the outside of the headliner piece in. The center clip has a stud that goes through to the engine bay. It may be covered by a heat shield.

If you want the rest of the trim pieces off there is more work involved. Actually the small vertical pieces between the rear glass and quarter glass is just riveted in the quarter window frame as well.

To get the headliner and curved section below the window out the rear glass has to come out. I cut the gasket and bought a new one. Just be careful not to cut the defroster. Cut the inside flange off and push the glass out to the rear.

Then the headliner section will come out. The bottom section has studs with nuts in the engine bay that are behind that heat sheild again.

Let me know if this helped at all or if I just confused you more!

:)

22. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    I knew this would be a PITA but I had no idea. LOL Thanks for the help. I think I got what is involved know. I still have yet to locate the studs inside the engine bay but I will keep looking.

Bill

23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #23 Jdubbya, Nov 25, 2005
    If your car is the same as mine the heat shield will be an aluminum piece that looks like the first pic. The stud for the center "clip" is straight down. The other two are for the piece marked in pic #2 and ar horizontal just under the window.

24. Harta320

Harta320 Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill Smith
    Hmm, I think I got it now. I was looking for the other 2 studs on the flat shelf pieces, towards the side windows going down. Like the center stud. I never looked for the center stud because I could never find the other 2 and I had my car torn down fairly good last winter. Hey I think I got it now.

Thanks
    Bill

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I cannot comment if things are the same on the GTB's or GTS' hovever on my GTB I was able to remove the headliner and rear parcel trim without removing the glass. What I did was find the rivets that are around the window frame and knocked out the back of them with a steel chisel. Once the backs were knocked off, all parts could be separated. Once I re-assembled everything, the 'u' channel on the trim around the windows was enough to keep everything together perfectly well without any movement or sqeaking. From the pictures I have seen on this thread, I see nothing to indicate that things would be any different for the GTS cars.