Financial Advisor in WA | FerrariChat

Financial Advisor in WA

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Looney, Nov 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    Hey guys,

I have to say that Im prety happy with what ive accheived for myself, however Im thinking that its time to see a planner to try and just refine some of my personal investment strategies.

I dont want some monkey with a piece of paper who is going to put me into a "product" of some sort, just someone who can point me in the right direction.

and no im not looking for anyone free, i know that if you want good service you have to pay good money :)

so if anyone can recomend someone who has helped them it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You and Dingo know some successful guys through the FCA in WA. Your best bet would be to ask them IMO.

AHG was one of the very best :(

3. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    Yeah i figured there'd be some good people to get in touch with through FCA.

but on the same token, this may be a good forum to ask in.

I just need to upgrade my yellow lotus, to a yellow F50, so am wanting to refine my plan a little.

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Any financial advisor worth his salt would start by advising you to forget all about cars!
    FWIW, you may find that the really good advisors are out of reach because they require more than a million in investible assets. AHG stopped taking on new clients long before I met him. I seem to recall him saying he had 100+ clients, all of whom had a minimum of $2 million of investible assets.

5. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    yeah, but why else do we earn money.

and as far as the amount of investable assets, that i can cover.

6. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not to be disrespectful to financial advisors, but I would always make my own investment decisions. No-one will look after your money as well as yourself.

If you are smart enough to make investible amounts, you should be smart enough to invest it.

7. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    Mark, thats exactly why i will not simply go to someone out of the yellowpages,

I myself am vrey sceptical of these people, but am curious to see if anyone could suggest anything that is better than what i'm doing for myself.

8. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    it's like trying to pick a mobile phone plan ...too many to choose from and they all try and stear you down their path for one reason or another. i have one and he is good but they all get their cut whether the investment makes $$$ or not. go and buy aussie blue chip shares yourself , the market has another 2 years of good growth. i should of invested 12 months ago and am still kicking myself. i invested 45 3 weeks ago and i'm up 1.5 so it's kicking along but too early to break open the bubbly

giddy up

9. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    Rog,

perhaps you can put me onto your guy? i am seriously thinking about moving to QLD next year.

I keep intending on sending you a PM to ask a few questions about QLD but never seem to get the time.

10. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    pm sent

11. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    actually not quite true. because it is your own money, sometimes emotions can cloud judgements. therefore decisions are made more on personal levels then prefessional levels.

it would be wise to have a slice of your wealth to be managed and invested by a professional who can be motivated to work for you 24/7, if you structure your agreement attractive enough.

i'm not at that stage of needing a financial advisors, but i know for sure that if i ever get to that stage, i'll have someone else do the dirty work while i can take more time enjoy life it self.

12. phatdiablo

phatdiablo Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    there are definately more financial planners now than ever before so the task of chosing one is definately hard as most of the best ones do limit new clients and only take referalls and you must have a minimum ammount etc...

as far as going to see one they generally have access to more investment products the general investor does so they may have some ideas you dont know about.

i never thought i would go see one, however i started studying to be one last year (accounting is just too boring) and didnt realise the ammount of differant things they can offer...good to see one and get them to crunch some numbers...you dont have to take on anything they reccomend but you will more than likely pay for the ideas.

so maybee in 10-15 years when i know it backwards ill take you on as a client :)

Cheers
    -Pete

13. Pete Wall

Pete Wall Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Looney,

I'm re-reading my copy of Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad's Guide To Investing" and highly recommend it. It might get you thinking of a "bigger picture" overview of investing. Creating assets to give a passive income. It has a more serious level of information than other Rich Dad Poor Dad books.

regards,
    Pete

14. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    Thanks Pete,

thats what im trying to do now, ive got heaps of assets earning me growth, but no passive income, and unfortunately the wife wants to start talking about thinking about kids, and im thinking i may need to look for a little more cash flow.

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Bye, bye yellow loti !
    No more flash cars for the next 18yrs ;)

16. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Bjorn
    I worked out years ago that every child costs you a new Ferrari - at current market price - sit down, do the sums - and that's only until they are 18 - not considering uni costs!

OTOH kids are fun :D

JM

17. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    nah, kids wouldnt mean the end of the lotus, or even an older Ferrari, however my sights are set to a late model Ferrari or Lambo, and of course i need to work on the cash flow now,

were still talking 3-4 years away, but planning still helps.

although my first choice would be to not have kids, but i shouldnt say too much, might get myself in trouble.

18. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I dare say I wouldn't have an F50 if I had kids. How self indulgent of me ;)

19. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    yeahhhhhhhhhhh.....OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS!

20. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    sorry but that just soinds a little wierd?

but im not a kids kind of person, in any way, shape or form.

Oh and BTW thanks for the PM Scud,

21. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    stop being selfish and do your bit for the economy :D ....and join the rest of us who now have little time for ourselves while chasing little ones around.

22. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Follow your dreams Looney and pursue the F50 - we only live once, as we know it.
    And the forum posters are right - I'd own an Enzo right now if I didn't have kids.

23. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    Of course, JM, if you do a half way reasonable job with your kids, they are an appreciating asset!

24. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB

i love the F50, but i was just making the comment as 360C has that awesome yellow F50 that we all know and love.

25. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    I obviously haven't done a half-way reasonable job :(

I think a valid description is depreciating (or should that be deprecating? :) )liability.

Can't complain much though, so far they have produced 10 grandchildren, some of them even after they got married!

JM