Best Buy, Circuit City, HH Gregg?? | FerrariChat

Best Buy, Circuit City, HH Gregg??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Oengus, Nov 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Anyone have any idea what kind of commish these guys/gals are on.

Thx
    chas

2. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    It depends on what they are selling. Computers pay a different commission than say cell phones. The range would be somewhere between 2-30% depending on the product. Maybe higher for things like extended warranties etc.. I don't think Best Buy pays commissions though???

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Not to mention that manufacturers offer contests all the time for selling their brand. They can win trips, product etc.

4. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul

I know Best Buy is not on commission, but I was with a friend a long time ago in a Circuit City and got the salesmen to take some of his commission of to make the sale (I think).

5. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    circuit city and best buy are not on comission. hourly.

6. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    That's why you get knuckleheads that don't lnow the difference between a DC player and a toilet seat. If you shop at a store where the employees are on commission, you generally get more knowledgable sales people to help you.

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Interesting,

I just spent about 5 k on a new plasma and a Bose surround system for my rec room.

Just curious as to how much the guy pocketed (HHGREGG)

He discounted the plasma by about $500 because they were sold out of the one I wanted, the manager came over and actually told the salesman to give me the 42" instead of the 37" for the 37" price.............. (- some $$)

He then discounted the Bose system $200......

Just wondering how much room there really is.

8. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Quite a bit, I think.
    Remember that even when stores sell items at "clearance" or at ridiculous "75-80% off", they are still meeting overhead.
    But as long as a consumer is pleased with a transaction, he doesn't truly care, and will continue patronage.

9. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    ...And congrats on the Plasma!;)

10. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Dont you guys have Sony Store in the united states? That is the best electronic place Ive been

11. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Partly wrong because there are comissioned people at CC. There are also hourly at Circuit City, but most of them are in the CD department or in Customer service.

I worked for two weeks in the TV section of Circuit City when I was in highschool.. (i tried to tough it out long enough to get stuff for cheap.. didnt make it)..

The comission is geared towards what item CC wants to sell. For instance. VCR's would have a $2-3 comission where as the new technology DVD players would get $20-30. Same thing went for TV's, you could sell a 50 inch TV for $3500 and make $200 (or whatever) but when the HD TV's were being pushed (this is when they first came out), they would pay 50% more.. comission.

I quit because the full time "sharks" would hawk the people and push them towards what they knew would be higher paying and not always what was best for the customer.

The best part was when they would pull people out of line and ring them up in their department to get credit for it.

*edit.. if you ever go to circuit city and you see a guy/girl try and punch in the numbers as he is selling you things.. it is because he is looking at the comission... there is an item code in the corner (ie CXTR12 ) would mean it was a $12 comission.. It's fun to go in now and peek over their shoulder and see how much they would get screwed for selling a $4500 plasma TV. The mark-up on those things are unreal... and they pay the salesguys pennies.

12. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    ummm, no.

all cc and best buy people are on straight hourly. there still may be holdovers from when they switched to hourly that get paid their calculated hourly rate. all employees are being paid an hourly rate. managers obviously get a bonus on performance.

for crediilty, i worked there when they were on comission. quit when they switched over. still have managers that are friends at local cc's in orlando.

13. Ducky355

Ducky355 Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Oaks, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt

Sorry didn't realize that it changed over... It was almost 7 years ago when I worked there