How to restore old HotWheels | FerrariChat

How to restore old HotWheels

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by WILLIAM H, Nov 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Does any1 know of some1 who repaints old HotWheels ?

2. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    William,
    I have done this before on many old Hot Wheels cars; especially the really old & hard to find ones. I mainly do this as a hobby, but if you have a certain one in mind, I might be able to help you. If you want to do it yourself, here;s what I do:

I drill the rivits from the bottom & separate the car halves. I use a mild acid paint remover to strip the old paint & throughly wash them afterwards. after drying, I use a Dremel Tool with one of the mini wire brush bits & polish the body (especially if I am wanting to restore the car to a "Spectra-flame" color). I have found many of the old Spectra-flame colors available in small spray cans at your local hobby store (damn close matches to the original colors). Carefully re-spray the body. For Enamel colors, hit the body with a flat dove-grey ot white primer before respraying. To re-attach the car halves, I usually just use a dab of clear silicone seal...the cars are just for my display purposes only anyway. I have seen some other that do WAY more porfessional jobs of restoring old Hot Wheels than my method, but their's end up looking way too perfect...kind of like an over perfect 1957 pontoon-fendered Testarossa that ends up nicer than the day it was originally built.
    The wheels? One guy I know uses a special chrome sticker carefully applied to each rim with the black areas cut out with an Xacto knife. I have sent the wheels out to be (plastic) chrome plated (with the black sidewalls masked off) then I delicatly paint the black spaces back in with a 10/0 bruch & flat black paint. My favorite quick way is to just 10?0 brush paint the mags with as "chrome silver" of silver paint as you can find. Each looks nice. You decide.

I hope this helps....
    George

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hi George, thanks, once I get a few I'll see if I can send you some if you have some free time :)

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Are you guys talking about 1:64 Hot Wheels...?

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, the little ones

6. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    William,
    No problem. What ones are you looking to get restored? Real old ones (Redlines) or ??? LMK

George

PS: NNO, you can use this same method to repaint the 1:18th one that you were asking about in another thread. What car & color are you trying to do?