All Ferrari Owners should read this | FerrariChat

All Ferrari Owners should read this

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by mikesoanes1960, Nov 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesoanes1960

mikesoanes1960 Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 mikesoanes1960, Nov 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Earlier this year (19/10/05) I enquired with Quicksilver exhausts (London Stainless Steel Exhaust Centre Ltd) for a pair of 550 back boxes for my Maranello. I was quoted £1346 which was a little surprising as when I rang them towards the end of 2004 and was quoted £850. Even more surprisingly, I was quoted £880 for a centre section whereas only last year I was quoted only £312!!!!
    The next time I was at my dealer I brought up this irregularity and he pulled out two Quicksilver pricelists, dated within seven months of each other. The retail prices across the board were just all over the place.
    I understand in any business that prices fluctuate, there is nothing new here, but certain products have doubled in price, particularly for my car. Quicksilver don’t have prices on their website and the only price they do have is for a 308 from £480 on there “news section” of their website. In fact this is a product that has almost trebled in price to £1196 according to their new pricelist! There was also a link to the American distributor (http://www.evansauto.com/QUICKSILVER.htm), that too made interesting reading as it would be cheaper to buy the parts from Evans in America and ship them to the UK, presumably.
    Is this a typical case of Ferrari owners getting ripped off?
    Furthermore, my dealer told me using the Ferrari and Maserati logos for aftermarket product promotion is illegal!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hard to say....steel prices are pretty volatile and exchange rates also vary.

It lists the same cat # on the part for your 550...on my 308GTB it appears one price list is for the manifold header and the other list is for the muffler (silencer)!!!!!

Confusing to say the least!

3. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
  4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    When exhaust manufacturers contract out their products and do not hold a high inventory of parts, the buyer is susceptible to huge price fluctuations. I would bet this might be the case with the brand you have mentioned.

I have been in discussion with them for a few products, but I get the feeling that they do not have their own facility. If this is the case, I would see little incentive for me to deal with them.

It is always best to deal with the US distribution arm of a foreign firm for many reasons the most important of which to be is a jurisdictional issue.

When you deal in foreign lands you have no way to reach them for recourse.

Steel prices do not fluctuate greatly to cause huge finished product prices. If a product is in limited production and built with a just in time aspect, you will pay considerably higher for it.

Always talk with some domestic first before you make the plunge.

Moral-don't deal overseas for single items.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    As an aside, i don't think this was an "overseas" deal for Mike... Considering the way he types out dates and the spelling of some of his words, i imagine he lives in Europe - most likely England...

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Good point, Carbon. That's why you have so many posts!

However, the emphasis is for eveyone to do your home work first!

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No argument there... :)

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have been checking around for exhaust also(muffler). I can not bring myself to pay thousands of dollars for a freakin muffler. I am not a wealthy by any means and saved for many years to buy my first Fcar. I am having my muffler custom made by a experienced exhaust fabricator. The rich guys can by those over rated, over priced mufflers--not me....

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Good point. If raw material of steel is coming from overseas, exchange rates will surely influence the price. So does die-casting cost, too. Just because products are made in Europe doesn't mean they are 100% European made nowadays. (the same for USA made in that matter)

How much can you save by making one off, hand made exhaust in the US? Kida Special is knows for one-off & hand made, but they are expensive as the qty is limited. Let us know how your muffler turns out!

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If it makes you so unhappy you could always sell the car and buy a Ford Fiesta or buy official Ferrari parts !

11. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I can't recommend timevalve. I have one of their cat-back systems on my Mercedes 190E and it looks like they were training someone when making it. The craftsmanship of the welds is poor and the splutter everywhere isn't what I expected, either! The edges of the muffler can look as if they were cut with a torch or a plasma cutter and nothing was done to square up the cuts. Finally, while they pride themselves on making great reproductions of the stock components, the muffler hanger bracket on the OE muffler had semi-circular profile where the big o-ring exhaust hangers rode, but this one is just bar stock so it offers relatively sharp edges to the load-bearing o-rings. I can't pin the numerous failures of those hangers I've experienced since installing the exhaust on that area, but it's cheaping out on a significant design detail.

12. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh

I just bought quicksilver Headers for my 308 and mounted a Stebro muffler the whole deal cost $3800. I am very pleased with the fit and especially the sound, it is loud without being too loud. Quicksilver had to fab the headers and promised me 4 week delivery. The parts were at my door in 10 days.
    I had posted some photos on this thread and you can veiw my profile to see a photo of it on the car.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77528&page=3

13. mikesoanes1960

mikesoanes1960 Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well spotted I am in the UK. :)

14. mikesoanes1960

mikesoanes1960 Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My complaint is that this is another example of Ferrari owners being taken for a ride.
    I was going to buy the Quicksilver but the huge price hike for no apparent reason has put me completely off. Just because its a Ferrari they think they can get away with it!

15. mikesoanes1960

mikesoanes1960 Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi, Chris.
    Can I ask where you brought your headers from and how much they cost?
    Nobody is questioning the turnaround time, just the prices.

16. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh

I bought the headers thru Evans Auto in Ohio. $2500.00 for the headers. I searched all over and could not find any "on the shelf". I know we have a lot of race shops here in Livonia and was looking for a custom header builder when I came across Quicksilver and they said they had the plans for a 308 and had expeince making them before. I am in the manufacturing business myself and to make a one-off set of headers for $2500.00 seems very reasonble to me. I did not count but in a pair of headers there are quite a few cuts, bends and welds.

And they fit like a glove.

17. mikesoanes1960

mikesoanes1960 Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thing is Chris, imagine you came to order it and the price had gone upto $3500 or $4000 for no reason, surely this would take the shine off the purchase? This is what has happened to me.

18. mikesoanes1960

mikesoanes1960 Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What gave you the impression they don't manufacture?

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, those look nice for the 308, and fair enough price I'd say....I have had failures and bought used ones for up to $700 each.

I want some!!!

I have two cars I'll ask for the "Fleet rate"....interesting how they make up for the later 328 configuration with the pipe extensions....I'd just need the headers and the ANSA #FE2020 has the rest.......

I'll testify these older headers are getting fatigued to point of being dangerous as they desintegrate!

20. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh