DELL IS REALLY MAKING ME ANGRY!!! A MONOLOGUE | FerrariChat

DELL IS REALLY MAKING ME ANGRY!!! A MONOLOGUE

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by dm_n_stuff, Nov 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

How the Hell does this company stay in business? I can't imagine anyone buying a computer from them once they'e tried to get service.

I've been on hold for over 20 minutes trying to get a new laptop that crapped out, serviced UNDER THE FRIGGIN' WARRANTY THAT THEY SOLD ME.

After holding for 20 minutes, I just got transferred to Large Account Support. by the guy who finally picked up the phone. Since when does a company of 30 people get Large Account status???

Well who knows, since I've mostly spoken to computers so far, and a guy named "Dan" who clearly was not really named Dan has just stuck me back in the back of the line at L.A.S.

Wait, the recorded voice says, "the next technician will be with me momentarily"...........................

Clock's ticking...............................................

Stand by.... I'll post again when someone actually picks up the phone.

Now the message says to call at less busy times like 2:00 in the morning..... ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still holding at 25+ minutes.......

But, I feel better because "A Dell technician will be with me momentarily"

Or, I can go online and use technical support chat... EXCEPT I TRIED THAT, AND IT SAID THEY WERE TOO BUSY AND SHOULD TRY LATER..........

Still holding........................... Pleasant, soothing music in the background..........making me want to go POSTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still holding.......coming up on 30 minutes...................

Now it says, "I can use the world Wide Web to trouble shoot the system at www.dell.com, or use the mailbox if I can't find what I want."

ALL I WANT IS A FRIGGIN' SERVICE CALL!!!!

Passing 30 minutes.......now have spent over 1/2 hour on hold...........

NOT GIVING UP. I WILL HOLD FOREVER IF I HAVE TO ! ! ! ! !

There goes 35 minutes..........

Contact!!!! Talking to downtown Madras right now. He's gonna see what he can do..... I'm explaining the problem.....

OOPS. BACK ON HOLD at minute 38.

Still holding at minute 41............................... This is making me crazy.

Passing 45...................................

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...............................................................................

Disconnected...............

TO BE CONTINUED.....................................................................

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Time to get an IBM Thinkpad?

3. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    I'm on my third and FINAL D(h)ell! The first two I had were great! I had a screen go out on the first one....I owned it for four years at that point! The replaced everything free of charge! The second was fine, had minimal problems. When I did have a problem, Dell was there no questions asked without any conflict! My current laptop....had minimal problems, but when I do have a problem.....my calls end up being similar to yours!

I'm about a year out from a new computer! My next laptop will likely be a (gulp) MAC...or an IBM Thinkpad! Dell lost me!

Jay

4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I've had the Dell run around, and recently went throught similar delays with Toshiba. With Dell my best luck has been with the online method where you chat with a technician. Once you get them online their response may take a minute or two but they heard my problem, tried some fixes, and got me a new hardrive ordered quicker than my past phone dealings.

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Online was my first choice, BUT, THE FREAKIN' ONLINE HELP WAS TOO BUSY, AND KEPT KICKING ME OUT.

DIE YOU DELL SCUM, DIE.

DM

6. Trevor L

Trevor L Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2004
    OKC, USA
    All companies have 30min + wait times, btw IBM is now a owned by the gov of China.

With Dell you can actually buy faster service, but its kinda hard to do after the
    sale.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Slick the hard drive and reload...

Agree tech support on anything has all been outsourced to a country far away.......

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Unfortunately this is strictly a hardware problem. The headphone jack has a short in it, you get one ear only with the headphone, and when you pull the plug the speakers don't work!!!

Zapping the harddrive ain't gonna fix that.

TOMORROW, 1:00 AM, THEY ARE GETTIN' A CALL FROM ME.

STAY TUNED FOR THE FURTHER ADVENTURES.....................

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Just make sure it isn't lunch time in Bombay when you call!

10. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    we had a week of chaos trying to get a power supply for a Dell server. Probably a dozen different call queues and luckily had a junior guy who could sit on the phone with them day after day. I had it when our order was "cxld because the part number they gave us was no longer valid". We did get the power supply, but with maybe 20hrs of phone time?

The dell laptop I had (1st and only - now all Toshiba's) was in worst shape after they "fixed" it with the house call (onsite maintenance)

We do stick with all Dell desktops - I figure anyone can fix those at my cost.

Good luck! We feel for you!

PS: We've had good success with Toshiba service, at least it's a local contact to talk to in person. Also had good success with IBM Server support.

11. 99355F1

99355F1 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    CG
    Bangladore*

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Same time zone, no?

13. hm7608

hm7608 Rookie

Jun 16, 2005
    Used to like Dell and their service (about 18+ months ago.) But then their customer service went bad; very, very bad. No more Dells for our household. We've switched to Apple and have been very satisfied. Bought the Apple extended warranty and if we need help we go to the Apple store and they fix it on the spot.

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hey Dave. It's all good! Kumbaya! Is this necessary?

15. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Here are the secret numbers and tips to bypass IVRs to get to a human.

http://www.paulenglish.com/ivr/

The IVR Cheat Sheet is a free service from Paul English of Kayak.com.

Dell 888-560-8324 2 order; 3 support; 4 purchase help; or 00 to human

I'll bet it'll take you under 30 secconds to talk to a person.

16. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This saga would make a good opera.

I can see it now. A man weeping over his fallen computer, then, as inspired by the muse, calling for help ("zu hilfe!"). Unbeknownst to our hero, his time on the telephone will cast him into darkness and despair. His blackness then slowly builds to anger. He calls down heavenly curses, before smashing the computer with his mighty spear and casting the body of his valiant computer into the mythical Schuylkill.

Throw in some horned helmets, a lot of long German curse words, and clanking metal breasplates ... it's positively Wagnerian.

17. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Dave, I don't envy you. One time, while on a call with Dell, I was on hold for 30 minutes, then got passed back and forth between departments 3 times over the course of another half hour. On the fourth time they tried to pass me off to a different department, I asked for a manager. "Sure thing, please hold..." Click. They hung up on me... leaving an hour wasted and nothing accomplished.

18. Manettino

Manettino Rookie

Aug 9, 2005
    Land of Oz
    Excellent information to have, but a sad state of affairs when information like this is needed to get help for a product or service.

My company ALWAYS had a human answer every incoming business call. Incoming personal calls were handled by a computer ("please enter the extension number...") We had an unpublished number for the personal calls. Employees gave it out to their family members.

19. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I really like dell, havent had to deal with their customer or tech support though.

20. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............

One in the morning works much better.

Don't know what time it was in India, but they were wide awake and ready to "help me"

Seems thery will send me a shipping carton, NO CHARGE, and I can send the unit back for repairs. Takes 5-7 days.

YEAH. RIGHT, I BELIEVE THAT. If 'We'll be right with you" equals and hour, 5-7 days should be about 4-5 weeks.

Can't be without for that long.

Gonna try the other numbers this morning and see what I get.

Worst case scenario, going to have to find a local repair guy to fix this piece of crap.

Maybe an apple computer wouldn't be such a bad idea. NOPE, NOT GONNA DO IT. Been driving IBMs and Dells since nineteen tickity two, can't make the switch now. (Still have my IBM DOS 1.0 5 1/4" floppy disk. AHHHH those were the days.)

STAY TUNED FOR MORE ADVENTURES....................

Oh, BTW, the original monologue was typed while on hold and in conversation with Dell, helped with the boredom.

DM

22. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    That's good that you finally got to talk to someone. I've had several Dell laptops (courtesy of work). The one I did purchase, was sent back for repairs soon after I bought it. Before the 30 day trail period expired, I returned it and asked for my $$ back. They were pretty good about it. This was in the days where the screens rubbed on the keys when the lid was closed.

At least you didn't try sending an email from their website.... email gets scanned and you get a reply with useless obvious answers... and if all else fails... "please contact us via email from our web site".... arggggg.

23. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    #23 Dcup, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
  25. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I absolutely dread having to call Dell for customer support. I know that when I call, I am calling India, and chances are that I will have a very hard time understanding what they are saying to me. For what should take 15 minutes, I can count on it taking over an hour, simply due to me having to ask them to repeat themselves so often. It is completely infuriating.

Also, I have had my power supply fail on my office computer, and it is only a few years old. Then my home power supply failed, and it is only about 2 years old. Dell uses their own components, and some of them are very cheaply made, hence the low purchase price. Is it worth the aggravation? I am starting to think not.