consignment cost? | FerrariChat

consignment cost?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robert biscan, Nov 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    If you consigned a car to a F car dealer, how much is a fair price based on the market? What I mean is what % would you expect to pay.

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

7 typically.

3. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Consignment Cost?

Negotiate with the the Dealer first.. Usually depends on the over all cost of the car. I had my car consigned with a ferrari dealer in los angeles. They asked for 20% - 25 % after closing cost.. Asked for all cost up front no hidden fees. Then place asking price on the car.. hope this helps; plus each dealer is diffrent depending on there inventory too..
    john

4. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I've consigned cars with the local Ferrari dealer for a net price to me, the balance going to him. The key here is to understand what you want out of the deal. If the dealer agrees to that, then I say he deserves everything he can get beyond the price which you are happy to take.

5. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    That sounds like the voice of experience and is good info. I've been wondering about this question myself.
    Thanks, Alex.

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Does this mean 20% of the final sale value????

7. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It seems that 7 % on a 200K car is a lot. I must be a tightwad. Also I'm going in for a new car.

8. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Like Alex said,tell the dealer you want an X amount of $$$$ ( reasonable numbers ) and any thing over that let dealer have it,this way atleast they have an incentive to sell the car too

9. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    6%-10% depending on the price of the car.

10. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    What would you want out of a 360 spider with all the options that total about 25k that has 2150 mile on it? The car is loaded and not a spot on it , never tracked.

11. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    10 percent when i sold my boat.

12. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you're asking me I do it for 3% but I also don't have anywhere near the amount of customers Ferrari dealers do. My Maserati is being consigned at 10% but the same dealer will consign a 360 or any Ferrari above $100k for 6-7%. If you're asking me how much your car is worth then I can't really answer that without more specifics.

Not sure if your post was pointed towards me but if it was then call me at 405-410-8149 or shoot me an email.

13. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I guess I was just picking your brain. Based on the comments a 6% fee is not out of line. I was thinking that a fee of 11k or so was a lot when the dealer had nothing in the car. Right now it's still in my garage. I'm selling to buy a new car not to get out of the business so he's making it on both ends. I know, God bless America. He deserves a fair compensation and I want to be fair. I also am on my 5th new car and he used to handle the consignments for a lower dollar. Live and let live.

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No room for negotiation Bob?

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    hear hear.

too many people have too many irrational expectations of the realistic value of their "precious car".

but if you set a reasonable price in the above scenario, the dealer will work hard to make their return.

if you want absolutely top dollar - sell it yourself and deal with the hassles and liabilities of that yourself.

doody.

16. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Heck no I don't want to sell it on my own due to time. I look at it in terms of trade in and sales tax savings too. If I sell on my own then I pay more sales tax so what the heck let the dealer make it instead of uncle sam. I wanted the value of this boards opinion.

17. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Robert,

Almost forgot to ask.

Just curious and I hope you don't mind me asking but is this an authorized f-dealer or unauthorized, doesn't really matter I just want to know out of personal curiosity. I'm comparing rates of authorized and unauthorized dealers and your input would help my research.

Thanks,
    Kevin

18. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Authorized

19. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Thank you Alex..........

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I'm in the deal making business and I make a living buying and selling assets, mostly R.E. but other things too.
    I have found that whenever one of the parties looks too hard at the wallet of the other party the deal goes south real quick. The essence of making a deal is ensuring that you get what you want out of the deal. What the other side gets should be of no concern to you if you are happy with your side.

I can't tell how many people I know who have walked away from great opportunities because they can't reconcile themselves to accept that the other guy is making "too much".

21. cshargh

cshargh Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Cyrus

It's jealousy.

22. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Well said. Although if the guy is also buying new that should factor into things. If the dealer wants to have their cake and.... then there should be some more give and take. OTOH if this guy is getting a car at sticker and wants to do an end run on the dealer then it could be his last new depending on what he's buying. It's a matter of finding where the thresholds are ;)

23. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The dealer was going to charge me 7%, but then lowered his commission to about 4% so I could get close to the price I wanted out of the car.

24. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Hey Bob, I'll give you $50,000 cash for it right now... that way you don't have to wait for the consignment hassles!! My wife loves the 360 spider... but that's my budget limit for buying her Christmas presents! ;) I'll custom paint your track helmet as part of the deal, too.

25. larryd

larryd Rookie

Dec 3, 2005
    We try to get our consignment clients what they want and hopefully there is something left over for us. I think that is fair for both parties.