Woman's Fine Watch Question | FerrariChat

Woman's Fine Watch Question

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Scotty, Nov 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My wife wants a new watch for Christams. Given what is in the garage, I don't think a Timex is gonna cut it. I would really appreciate the input of the watch afficianados on this board.

She would wear it daily to work, so it can't be too flashy. It will be immersed in water, but it doesn't need to go to 200 meters. She will likely not appreciate or like a mechanical movement. When I looked before (for myself) a common opinion I came across was that many electric watches (say, Cartier Tank Francias) are really no better than Seikos. The movements are essential equal in quality, and even the metalwork isn't that much better. (I understand about the upcharge for style).

So she wants an square/rectangular face, gold/silver mix with a second hand. Any thoughts? Also, I did find a Tissot that would fit the bill--any specific info on this brand?

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    How much do you want to spend?

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND??

I BOUGHT MY WIFE A BIDAT 2 YRS AGO..SHE LOVES IT...

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Would seem that around 1-2 thousand is about the right ballpark, but willing to go to 5 or so. Since this is a daily wear deal, I would rather get something at the lower end of the cost range, and use the rest of the cash for a nicer dress watch for her. But it is likely she will wear this watch for most everything (gardening to work {pediatrics} to going out on the town).

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Rolex and Patek are out then.

That can be a good thing, because those are the two that it is hard to get a discount on.

Find something that suits your wife then shop around, depending on the brand, you can get anywhere from 10% to 50% of retail after searching for a few hours...

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    That brings up another question (getting a discount). How does one do that (internet, playing one store against another, general hard bargaining)?

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'll let the experts chime in here, but there are several of the big watch retailers that will advertise specials and making an offer never hurts, the worse that they will do is say no.

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Check out Corum...my mom has many watches from rolex's to david yurman to baume mercier and her favorite watch is a Corum bubble face. They are automatic or quartz (would only buy auto), classy yet rugged, and very stylish.
    Erik

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Get her an Omega, a Baume Mercier (sp?) Catwalk, a Movado, an Ebel, etc., etc.

10. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I have a Cartier Panthere in SS/Gold that has been a great watch. It is in your price range but doesn't have a second hand. I like it b/c it is like wearing a bracelet and doesn't feel big and clunky.

Maybe take her to a store to look at something for you and while you are there she can look at something and it will give you a better idea for something she would want.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For a lady not really into fine watches, I would just get her a Rolex DateJust. You can get it in stainless steel, two tone gold/steel, solid gold or platinum. It looks good, is reasonably priced and her girlfriends will see "Rolex" and think Wow, she's lucky !

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

Classic watch, but not in his comfort zone of $1-2k. Yes, he can go to $5k and get a two tone version, but let's see if he really wants to spend that much first...

13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  14. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Dropped about a grand on a Gucci watch for my wife last year. She loves it.

Dave

15. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Last Christmas I bought my wife an Omega Constellation "My Choice". It is stainless with a white face. It's an automatic, which she wasn't intersted in, but now loves. The watch is worn every day for all tasks. It's not too gaudy for work, and looks classy when she gets dressed up. Her favorite feature is the saphire crystal which is very difficult to scratch. She doesn't like that she has to adjust the date for months with fewer than 31 days.

It is the one in the middle.

http://www.watchesplanet.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=450f93bb87c4/page=h_omega.htm?goto=7&Brand=OMEGA&Series=Constellation&Size=Ladies

I bought it from a local jeweler. If there is a store where you buy your wife jewelry, I would check them before I bought online. I buy a lot of little things through the year which translates into better discounts. I think I paid around $1600.

16. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Hermes & Bvlgari carries nice ladies watches in your price range. They both carry a model which design & style hasn't changed forever (that is good thing as some other ladies watches changes model almost every year now)

Bvlgari B Zero 1 is in various colors but has been in the same style for quite while.

Hermes H-our is another classic style.

They are both quartz watch, and in $1,000 to 1,200 price range.

17. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind
    I'm giving my wife for X-mas a Raymond Weil, with diamonds around the bezel. $2000.000 Mayors jewlers

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #18 darth550, Nov 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind
    #19 Mario Gonzalez, Nov 28, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just bought my wife the the new datejust Havana from Rolex, with the new face. She loves it.
    Coach makes a couple of nice watches under $1000. My wife's took a beating and lasted for several years.

MM

21. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Movado's are in...

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    here's what i've learned from having 3 sisters and many girlfriends and now the wife who rivals emelda marcos. women and jewlery are like shoes, best left to them to decide. unless of course you're buying diamonds...

23. 356 speedster

356 speedster Rookie

Nov 4, 2005
    You can check www.overstock.com They have great selection(Movado,Corum,etc)Great prices too.Under "luxury watches".

24. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Thanks all. Darth, I showed her the B&M--she really likes it. No second hand, but that is going to be a challenge to find in a square or rectangular faced watch. We are going to try to find one in town to look at.

Scott

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you decice that's the one you want. PM me and I'll provide Dri's contact info.

She runs the "FChat special!" for me. :)