308 Out of Time!? | FerrariChat

308 Out of Time!?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dano's-Dino, Nov 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dano's-Dino

Dano's-Dino Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    Mountain Home, AR
    Full Name:
    Danny Ohler
    After much trouble shooting why my 308 won't start, I'm starting to think the car has slipped out of time. When I crank it with the carb cover off, it actually shoots gas out the top sometimes. This makes me think part of the compression stroke is coming out the carbs, it should all be down draft. It also cranks fast, which would seem to be low compression. If this is the case, what is the chance of major damage inside my engine? The car ran fine when I parked it before the unable to start business began. It had the major service done just two years ago and has only had about 2500 miles put on it since then. I'm not sure why it would slip time. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Dano

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    First thing..do a compression test. This will tell you right away of you have a timing issue. You may see one bank at 180psi and the other at 130 psi. If this is the case you are very lucky and jumped a max of 2 teeth on the timing. If you see less compression then this..well I hate to say it, you may need to pull the heads.

3. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    F-Chat guru Verell makes a 2-valve camlock (search for 2V cam lock) that also doubles as cam timing sanity checker. It isn't accurate enough to set the cam timing, but you will be able to tell if you jumped a tooth or two. No pulling cam covers, etc, just put his lock on and check the marks against the small timing marks on your cam pulley shoulders.

4. Watry

Watry Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Watry
    I went through the older thread on the locking tools. Anyone know if the custom-made wooden one is still available? If so, where do you get it and how much? Thanks

Andrew Watry

5. enilkram

enilkram Rookie

Nov 28, 2005
    What happen if when the engine started one of the banks cut off and stop running but the engine still running with one banks... i already try to cool of the engine and then start the car again the same simptom occur... pls help me...

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

try switching the coils, you may not have spark on one bank.

DO NOT KEEP RUNNING THE CAR LIKE THIS, YOU WILL DAMAGE IT !

7. Dano's-Dino

Dano's-Dino Rookie

Jul 6, 2005
    Mountain Home, AR
    Full Name:
    Danny Ohler
    Tbakowsky,

Are those actual compression values? I read about 130-135 psi on both the front and back banks. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dano

8. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey

I needed a new catalytic converter because one of my coils went out on me.

The fuel still keep pouring from the carbs. --not combusting---then igniting in the hot exhaust pipe (making it an expensive shade of orange!!!)

Tom

9. enilkram

enilkram Rookie

Nov 28, 2005
    I already try switching the coils the same problem still occur... one of the banks will cut off after a while.... any suggestion how to fix this??

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your compression readings are low. You should be in the 160 to 170.

Have you been cranking the engine over for long periods of time? If so you could have washed the cylinder walls down with fuel, causeing the low readings. Pull the dip stick and give the oil on it a sniff to check for fuel in the oil. If you have a strong smell of gas..I would sugest to change the oil before trying to start the car.

What is most important at the momment...are the readings your getting consistant for all cylinders..or at least within 10% of each other?

If you feel fuel has not washed down the cylinder walls causeing the low readings, set the crank at number 1 cylinder TDC and in the firing cycle. Remove the oil fill cap, and just to the right of the opening you should beable to see the first cam cap. On the cam cap is a notch. This notch should lineup with the notch in the camshaft. Check that.

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Remember to open the butterfly when cranking the engine during the compression test - you'll get artificially low readings if you're not doing this.

12. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Just send Verell an email at
    [email protected]
    It may take a few days to hear back from him.

13. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Check distributor and rotor. On your QV, if one bank if running, then you are likely getting fuel to both banks. Also, check and clean the connectors on the ECUs under the carpet in the rear storage area on the driver side. It is common for them to get wet and need cleaning. You can also swap ECUs to see if you have a bad one.....they are expensive!!!

14. enilkram

enilkram Rookie

Nov 28, 2005
    The distributer and rotor is new and nothing wrong with the connection to the ECu... The ECU also is OK... but the problem one banks will cut off after the engine started still occur... any solution for this???

15. enilkram

enilkram Rookie

Nov 28, 2005
    I've checked the ECUs and found out it was different number in it.. are there suppose to be the same... by the way i already try swapping both ECUs and still the outer banks will cut off after some times..anyone...pls??