BBi daylight flashers | FerrariChat

BBi daylight flashers

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Dec 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have to replace one or both of my daylight flasher lights on my 82 BBi. Question is which one is correct? The cracked one on the left has a different style of lens than the right one which is in nice condition. Not sure when it cracked but noticed it at the end of the season before the snow flew. Should I just call ferrari and order a pair or will I get it up the butt from them like everything else?

Thanks,

P.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    The glass on the flashers came from the factory clear with no lines. You might try Aardvark int. PH 562 6998887. They carry CIBI and a very close lens from the original.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks, Ill see if I can get a set.

P.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My BB is missing them altogether. I wonder why? I have the "Fog Lights" switch on the console.

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Donv - the fog light switch on the console is for the rear red lamps below the bumper that come on with the headlights. This is to increase visability to cars approaching from the rear.

I tend to leave them on all of the time.

Jim S.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, that explains that. Thanks!

Did some BBs not have lights in the grill, then? Or were they removed in the federalization process?

About 6 months ago, Dick Fritz promised to send me copies of his file on my car, but he's never followed up. I keep bugging him, maybe it's time to call him again.

This link from Mike Sheehan's site shows the front of my car:

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/imgview.php?reqcardir=FE-512BB-30713&imgnum=P002

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The 365's had them behind the full length grill and the 512's had them exposed with a shorter grill but never seen one without. You pull the headlight stalk towards you to flash them otherwise they dont stay on.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks! And sorry for the thread hijack.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #9 Newman, Dec 4, 2005
    Thats fine by me, here is a pic of mine, the PO had the lights moved in shortly after he bought the car in 82 and has brake cooling ducts installed. Look like factory pieces, maybe BBLM stuff? Who knows but the ducts are black moulded parts like the 308 quarter side ducts. Im debating whether or not to change it back and put in the stock grill.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Was that, gasp, choke, :O...............rust behind those light fixtures?

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes...... I see a little flake on the bracket above the one and Ill tend to it. I also see the black chipping off and showing the red. The car does get used but is very clean, thats the worst of it really.

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    The rear fog lights were an option for the 512BB, most I have seen do not have them, my car does though, they were standard on the BBi.

I have the switch also for the fog lights, on the BBs they can be on all the time, I am also missing the fogs but the wiring is their but I don't see any brackett for them so I don't know how they would mount to the front lattice frame. Its also interesting some 512BB have grill openings for the fogs and others such as mine are a full length grill with no openings.

So on the BBis it seems they changed the lights to just passing with a stalk switch.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sarti, post a pic of your front end, I would like to see it, the whole car for that matter if you dont mind. Ive only seen the full grill on the 365's. Is it possiblle the PO removed the lights and installed a 365 grill? Funny, my manual says daylight flasher and it only works with the key on and if I hold the switch pulled. Maybe mine is screwed up? My rear fog lights are there but I never use them.

14. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    #14 J.P.Sarti, Dec 4, 2005
  15. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Also, concerning your comment about the brake cooling ducts, all Boxers have them in the front fender liners with a hole that has a pipe directing air to the front brakes,

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Nice car Jeff and thanks for the pics. I saw my cooling ducts below the grill, cut into the front spoiler as per the factory. Those are still there but in the extreme corners of the grille opening above the factory holes are 2 very large openings that are not factory and go directly to the front rotors with large flexible hoses going to the spindles.

Im surprised to see yours without any lights but clearly if there is a switch then im assuming there must have been lights an im sure you will find wiring hiding in there somewhere. Who really knows I guess? Could have been eliminated at the factory as per the customer. Ill take a pic of my ducts, I would like to know if they are factory parts which were bought and installed rather than fabricated, the car also had BBLM wheels on it in the past and saw some track time so the PO says.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  18. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Yes, post some pics Paul lets check it out.

I do see the wiring for my fog lights in the front grill area so I wouldn't be suprised if it had the lights at one time, I just don't see any mounts for them, I would like to add a pair back on in the future.

19. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I see what you are talking about now, the additional ducting looks easy to remove but it looks as though the PO shortened the front grill some so he could move the fogs in closer together and give the room for the air ducting on the sides.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes the grill is shorter than stock. I spoke to the shop in switzerland that did the modification years ago (they shortened it) as well as the BBLM rims which it no longer has. I figure its an easy fix but like the ducts as well so I might just leave it for the time being. The grill probably isnt cheap to replace.

21. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I wouldn't be concerned with it now either, I don't think the front grills are that bad though <$600.

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So, JP, are those the fog lights just outside of the exhausts? My BB doesn't have those either.

Now I need to go down to the garage and figure out what that switch is supposed to do!

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    After fiddling with it for a while this evening, I've concluded that the only thing the "Fog Lights" switch on my BB does is to turn on an indicator light on the tach.

The manual helpfully told me that the switch was for the "Anti-Fog Lights" but that was it.

24. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Yes they are running, fog lights on the rear, as mentioned they were an option on the 512BB from the factory but very rare on them and standard on the BBis.
    The switch is for the front runnin/fog lights, on the BBi they changed them to passing lights operated by pulling the turn signal stalk.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The switch that says fog on my car is for the rear fog lights only and it turns on a light on the dash as well to indicate they are on. Show us a pic Donv. Sounds like your rear bumper has been changed?

P.