Would any of you fellow Canadians buy a JDM spec Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Would any of you fellow Canadians buy a JDM spec Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by coincopy, Dec 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coincopy

coincopy Karting

Jul 25, 2004
    Something like a Testarossa(sp?) or soon a 348(car must be 12+ years old in order to import)

Advantages:
    1. Clean
    2. Low mileage
    3. Some come with modifications(if that's your thing)

Dis-advantages:
    1. "Grey market car"
    2. Hard to resell(I think this is very subjective.)
    3. Unknown history(Worth the risk? You can save anywhere from 10 - 30 thousand dollars.)

IMHO, if you are looking to pick a F-car up cheap, and keep it for a long while, this is a great option. If you are looking to flip it in a year or two, this is not for you.

I saw a clean '87 Testarossa with 61,000km's go for $40,000 cdn. Tax + import fees will add about $12,000. Let's put another $8,000 for errors in my calculations or misc costs. The total is at $60,000. Just some food for thought.

2. arium

arium Karting

Jun 16, 2005
    Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    Full Name:
    Steve H
    How will we deal with the steering wheel being in the normal designated passengers seat?

That makes it a bit of a beast when trying to pass for most of us. Scares the heck out of whomever is in the left seat when you nose out for a peek.

Otherwise yes, Japanese inspection standards are so high that 15 year old cars are literally tossed away there. Hence the plethora of recent Skyline migrations. Gosh, I love the word plethora, almost as much as curmudgeon.

3. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

What's the relevance of JDM and f-cars? Talking to too many ricers, lately?

Secondly, cars have to be 15 years or older to import into Canada without restriction. It doesn't matter what country they come from.

www.riv.ca

You're welcome.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I have seen a lot of Japanese Porsches and MB's coming over in our shop......cosmetically the cars are usually OK (I mean after all how can someone who is on average 98 pounds soaking wet wear out a seat bolster)........but that's where it ends.

We have a Japanese 928 in the shop right now (2nd one this month)........car cost the guy $17K CAD to land (they really cost about $12 from the auction's there so he got hosed).....he also needs to spend another $7K to make it serviceable. No books and records, total "bad" repaint.......etc......etc......the Japanese cars are the worst examples of the 928 line that I have ever seen. The MB's aren't it bad shape (I've seen about 25 of them now)......whereas all of the Porsches I have seen were literally P.O.S. examples (that's about 15 of them now)........

The lure of the cheap import.........LOL........he'll have more tied up in the car than it can be resold for. The knowledgeable buyer's are staying away from the Japanese MB's and Porsches now (Skylines and other cars never sold here are another story all together for obvious reasons).........several dealer's I know have had P-car examples sitting in stock for over 6 months now........and the market for 15 year and older MB's has totally collapsed as a result of all the cars coming over. Therefore.....poor resale if you want out.

A $60K CAD Ferrari may need $15-25K in the first year or so.........so there goes your edge. Why someone would buy a 12 cylinder Ferrari sight unseen without first hand due diligence in a situation where over 50 threads here on F-chat can testify that these cars can have potentially catastrophic reconditioning costs is truly beyond the scope of both logic and reason.

5. coincopy

coincopy Karting

Jul 25, 2004

A Japenese Domestic Market, Ferrari. Is that so hard for you to comprehend?

6. coincopy

coincopy Karting

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks for the informative post. How about a Porsche 930? Turbo's are rare here as it is, so that puts them at an edge. A turbo-cab('87 - '89) with low clicks and in decent condition could sell for around $50,000 here.

7. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#7 b-mak, Dec 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No. You?

By the way, it's spelled "japanese".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    #8 Skyler, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
  10. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    The exhuast, rims, and front lip are horrible Otherwise its ok.

11. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    #11 Skyler, Dec 5, 2005
    I dont mind this car too much either, but it is a little ricey

Prices:
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber FB $3,450
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber Underside Lip $1,270
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber RB $2,900
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber RW $2,000
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber Front Lip $730
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber DP $1,820
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber Rear Under Lip $550
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber Tail Garnish $1,450
    Ferrari 348 Carbon Fiber Tail Light Bracket $550

12. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Once again the spoiler, rims and front lip have to go. Then it would be fine.

13. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    #13 Skyler, Dec 5, 2005
  14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

coincopy.....

Three of the Japanese cars I have seen this year were 930's......and FWIW 930's are not "that" rare either (only the good ones are).......I sold 6 in Calgary this year and currently have an 1989 930 cabrio in stock for sale.

Japanese cars usually spend their life idling around rush hour traffic in a low ozone environment that consists of 4 temperate seasons with a high humidity factor and constant salt air. It's like buying a car from the north eastern USA or Montreal.

15. coincopy

coincopy Karting

Jul 25, 2004
    You forgot to capitalize the "J" in "Japanese", smartass.

16. coincopy

coincopy Karting

Jul 25, 2004
    I agree a 930 is not "rare". BUT, a clean '88 or '89 turbo cabriolet IS rare. '89's go at a bit of a premium of a few thousand dollars more than the '88's but both are very desirable. If you wait for the right buyer, low 80,000$(cdn) is not out of the question.

A slant-nose would be great even.

And any rare car like this would most likely be taken care of a bit better than a conventional, more affordable late-80's Carerra etc.

17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

It's spelled "smart ass", smart ass.

18. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Cool it, learn from my experiance. If you keep mouthing off like that, people start to dislike you.

19. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Sweeet. And it goes *wooooooooooosh* too.

;)

20. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Sorry guys, those body kits are hideous! Why anyone would want an Italian car to look like an Eclipse or Riced out Honda is beyond me. :(

21. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

It wooshes along a lot better now at 1.2 bar.......LOL !!

22. coincopy

coincopy Karting

Jul 25, 2004
  23. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    from what i understand most japanese perfer LHD european cars, and hence most ferrari's in japan are LHD.

24. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#24 b-mak, Dec 6, 2005
  25. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    why would anyone do that when they can buy one here with same mileage for the 70 grand and know EVERYTHING about the car!?!?