Ferrari Colchester | FerrariChat

Ferrari Colchester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mark355, Dec 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    On my way to a meeting, had some time spare, so stopped by what used to be a combined Ferrari/Porsche dealership in Colchester - Lancasters. Ferrari have now been turfed out to a site next door and are cosying up to Bentley.

Several things surprised me, but mostly the lack of space for customer cars. There was one F355 with the whole of its back end removed - no bumper, engine, transmission, wheels, suspension and there it was, in the pouring rain, with its front wheels on the ground and the back propped up with a pallet. If I was the owner of that car, I would not be best pleased.

Showroom was rubbish as well, lots of Masers, very few F-cars. Outside the Bentley place next door, they were lots of Continentals, ghastly things.

Just made me think that going to a F-dealer for service is not all it's cracked up to be. Bob Houghton's will do me fine, thanks.

2. Bronco Jr

Bronco Jr Guest

I think that what you say is very true. Franchise or independent, nothing determines you'll get value for money, service or customer care (either of you or your car). That’s why reputation is so important, check the thread on Rosso Corsa for instance.

I've had bad experiences with so many franchised dealers for various cars. From the humble Vauxhall to Rolls Royce and there are good and bad ones at every level.

Will be staying clear of Colchester though....

3. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    I prefer indi's actually - because you usually get to meet the person who actually works on your car. I much prefer dealing with people in overalls rather than suits I find them much more honest and trustworthy (in my opinion). They tend to work on their reputations too because they represent themselves not a faceless company. Blokes with dirty finger nails, salt of the earth :D

4. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    well I'll chip in my my 10p about Lancaster Colchester.

Porsche - absolutely fine.Service department very good (Andrew / Mike ).

Ferrari - totally crap.Just my experience.I have no doubt they do good work for some customers.But you give people one chance and one chance only.And the work they did for me was appauling.

5. Mark355

Mark355 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree with you about Andrew - I used to take my 355 there when it was a combined dealer and he was excellent. The Ferrari dealership just doesn't inspire confidence.

Also agree about the suits - so much better to talk to the guy who does the work than the service "advisor". The ones in Mercedes dealerships are a complete joke.

6. basher

basher Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Full Name:
    Fraser B
    well I have been very critical before or Main Dealers but I have to say that Glenn who runs the service department there is excellent. Nothing is ever too much car is pristine on return and he is reliable honest adn trustworthy.

7. hussman

hussman Rookie

Dec 12, 2005
    Billericay England
    Full Name:
    Steve Hussey
    My experience with Glenn and Paul at Lancasters has been first class. They are both very willing to be helpful and go out of their way to give advice and guidance. I was amazed how reasonable the cost of re-welding the sump on my 348 was and how hard they try to keep their charges competitive -£1500 for a 18K cambelt service plus a lift to work and back - how many independents offer a 50 mile round trip and same-day service? I have seen four filthy tyres stuffed in the car at Verdi's -not very welcome with a crema interior!

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Hussman

Welcome to Fchat Could you please fill in your user profile

Thanks

Ps how do you get 4 tyres in a Ferrari? 2 I can work out but 4's going to be difficult

9. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    Simple ....use a chainsaw... on the tyres not on the car

10. hussman

hussman Rookie

Dec 12, 2005
    Billericay England
    Full Name: