Which car has the most impressive engine? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which car has the most impressive engine?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kizdan, Nov 30, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As several others have said in different ways there is a lot more to consider that a simple peak HP/Displacement formula. Any motor can produce pretty amazing peak HP at the expense of torque, drivability, durability, etc,etc.

Needs to be a lot more to it than that.

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    ...the new z06 gets 16city, 26 highway epa...in real life its no where near 30mpg...i got max of 25mph at 70 mph on the highway on my 01 c5 vette....

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I dig the AMG V12 604hp 738pds of tk in my sl65. Reliable,powerful and if it was dropped in a CS type of car it would be unbeatable.

4. British Sea Power

Oct 19, 2005
    Bay Area CA
  5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I know it has a turbo, but I am a big fan of the 6 3/4 liter Bentley engines that were in the last generation Turbo Rs/Continental Ts. Huge torque at low RPM...

6. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Why are so many people getting so anti-turbo? Like its simple to get a high powered turbocharged car to last as long as an NA..The heat and pressures put on every part of the engine, makes them almost more amazing. BMW proves they can do both, from 627hp V-12s to Turbocharged 1.5L 1500hp 4-cylinder F1 engines....So impressive? 1000hp/L I suppose BMW again...BMW used to be just amazing with their Mpower partner...But since its grown from a tiny company into a arm of bmw its become so soft and so has racing in general. "Mpower" V10...sounds great, and if it were 15 years ago it would be...It would be wrapped in a fairly lightweight shell and look so great for the time.....Now call me crazy, but 500hp doesn't impress me to much when the older S62 V8 did 400hp....Now BMW has done 100hp/L since the early nineties, if they really wanted to the S62 V8 "M" could have done 500hp. Now the V10 is pretty/mechanical, but The styling of the M5/M6 screams....I can't taste salt boys!

So....I wish BMW could just torch their design studio and old mockups and up the power of the V10 to ~700hp and make somthing really great ALA M1
    rant :D

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The new designs sell much better than that car ever did. In the grand scheme of things, it was a disaster.

Still looks good.

8. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    Once the E34 came out it was over, bmw eventually started in with the $20k 318i...My brother got one of the first 325is's in Minneapolis, and everywhere you went you were a celeb....Now, who doesn't have a bmw? ha

Im by no means a bmw lover, but they have always be consistant...Well built and cool...They weren't always ugly though

9. TexFerrari

TexFerrari Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Texas of course!
    BMW, they are a bit ugly now, and as far as well built, my neighbor has 3, and one always seems to be in the shop? If they laden the driving experience with even more electronic crap, it may become the Ultimate Passenger Machine. I have German family members that would agree. I think its driving dynamic is what keeps the loyal ones, and they look past the ugly, but if that goes, like it slowly has been, then......

10. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ls7. Very light and compact for its size. I do believe (much like its other LsX brethren) that it is more physically compact and lighter in weight than a typical Dohc v6 despite the 7.0L of displacement and 2 extra cyl. It is also very fuel efficient for delivering 500+ horses with no other production engine making that kinda power coming even close. Factor in the rich and broad powerband and its overall simplicity (which should mean lower maintnance and better reliability than more exotic engines), and it easy to see that it's one of the best motors currently around imo.

Some have mentioned the rotary from Mazda, but imo, that engine is far from impressive. Especially in its current form. Sips fuel like crazy, has no tq, consumes oil like it is nothing, and durability/reliability concerns are a HUGE question mark. There's a reason why not too many companies mess with rotary's. This imo is a bad engine, even though i have a very soft spot for FD's (previous gen turbo rx7).

11. GogglesPaisano

GogglesPaisano Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Matt Borland
    Top Fuel Dragster Engines are the King Daddy Top O' the Mountain. Some of these numbers are a few years old.

* One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive than a stock Hemi makes.

* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At the stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F. (It explodes! It doesn't really "burn")

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from the heat of compression - plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting of it's fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees at the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

* Launch acceleration is close to 8G's.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run still costs $1000.00 per second.

*The parachutes create so much force when stopping, the retinas can actually detach themselves. Its around 2-3gs. Few racers had to quit racing do to eye problems

*The dual carburetors on an NHRA Pro Stock car gulp more air per minute than is needed to inflate the Goodyear blimp

*It takes just 15/100 of a second for all 5,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels

*The nitromethane used to power the engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars cost about $30 per gallon, about 25 times the price of a gallon of unleaded gasoline?

*NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars use 10 to 12 gallons of fuel for a burnout, back-up to the starting line and quarter-mile run

*They still don't even use all the horsepower the engine makes. If there is too much clutch they smoke the tires doing 300mph

*Top Fuel Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you finish reading this sentence

-=Goggles=- 8-|

12. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I think the most impressive car motor to me (and in coordination with its transmission) is the Porche NA V10 from the Carrera GT. Beautiful, razor sharp engine with racing pedigree.

13. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Matt cool read.

Darrell.

14. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan