Lap of the Gods | FerrariChat

Lap of the Gods

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gilles27, Dec 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I ordered the only thing I want for Christmas today--Lap of the Gods on DVD! Supposed to have tons of extra footage from the original videos, not to mention now I don't have to worry about the video tapes degrading. I'll post a review soon as it gets here.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A friend of mine just got his and was lukewarm in his review. He thought the cars looked as if they didn't go flat out.

I dunno, they look pretty fast on my VHS copy. I even remember Patrick Tambay driving the Renault Turbo around Monaco with the huge 16 (?) mm camera mounted on the rollbar. He was slower than the usual cars, but still going darn fast.

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I remember seeing a clip of the Tyrell 6 wheeler in Monaco driven by Depailler - fabulous overhead shots :)

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I taped it when speedvision aired it a few years ago. I actually liked it.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I've practically worn out my video--another reason to get the DVD. There's a ton of classic footage on there, and I don't think the different format will make them look slow.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    So, it arrived yesterday and I was able to check some of it out. The bonus features are pretty cool. About 30 extra minutes on each disc, 10 or 11 subjects each about 3 minutes long. And the cool thing is that they're almost entirely un-narrated, just old footage of 60s, 70s and early 80s era racing mostly. If you're a fan of old F1 racing and can't get enough footage, you'll like this. One thing that struck me was, not only were the drivers braver but so were the fans! Seeing race fans standing along the outside of Eau Rouge, no guard rail or anything, was wild.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jack, ask Tiffany to get you a copy of "In car 956" for x-mas. You'll love her all the more for that.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Yeah, I've seen that. Very cool.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Slightly off topic, but here it goes:

I made my own version of "In car 956" by comparing Bell's incar footage with my own virtual footage on the Ring (same car though) in a split screen mode. Then did the same using a M3 GT and Roehrl's in car footage. Let me know if you'd like to see it.
    :)