NORTON MOTORCYCLES - forums, fan sites, etc? | FerrariChat

NORTON MOTORCYCLES - forums, fan sites, etc?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Doody, Dec 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    hey gents.

i'm doing some learning about norton motorcycles. curious for pointers to online and offline resources.

i havent' found any forums like fchat (hey rob - start "nortonchat.com"!). are they out there?

i've found a variety of sites that all seem to only do a half-assed job of history and model thoroughness, etc.

any pointers appreciated.

tia,
    doody.

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Haven't they reintroduced it as a modern bike? http://www.rocketbikes.com/index.html

Frankly, if you were going to go over the top on a vintage brit, I would go Vincent. THis guy is the Tiffany of vendors- a tad pricey, though.
    https://harrisvincentgallery.com/garage.asp

(Take a look at the Brough for sale there, too).

And, of course, new Vincents are also being manufactured. http://www.vincentmotors.com/

Dunno about chat forums. I did join the Brough club last year- website, newsletter, crotchey old timers running classic bikes in Brit land.

This guy here http://www.chromeclassics.com/ also seems to get alot of fun bikes, fairly cheap, on consignment.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great bikes, much better riders than the old Triumphs because Norton figured out how to tame the vibes. That said, the old ones are quirky. Brit you know. Right hand shift, but one up and then down (racer style). They were also the original low riders.

Also keep in mind, no electric start. We all know how much the Brits like to abuse themselves.

If you are looking at an old one, go for the latest model year and the best condition you can find, i.e., 74-76. If you're really interested, PM me, and I'll turn you on to a buddy who restores em.

Me, if I was going to do this, I'd buy one of these --

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/

Kinda pricey, and it looks like they're having ramp up issues. But this is the way to go.

Personally, I think my 1970 Triumph Bonneville is the best looking motorcycle in the history of bikes. Unfortunately, it is no fun to ride until your butt and feet go completely numb. The Brits never figured out how to split a crankshaft. So you have two pistons going up and down at the same time, all the time. At certain RPMs, right about when you're going the ton, it can feel like someone stuck a drill up your butt...

Nortons are mega cool, though. I can also turn you on to some clubs. For some reason, the older bikers ain't Internet types. They are more face-to-face, but there are a lot of clubs in your area.

Good Hunting, Dale

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Geeze Bill, you trying to get the laddie killed? The old Vincents are mega cool, imagine James Dean's Little Bastard, but they are all go and no brakes.

That said, running at tickover speed, a Vincent with a big old velocity stack is a sound that every gearhead needs to hear. Kabump - Whoosh. Kabump - Whoosh. You don't want to get too close for fear of getting sucked in.

But I didn't know about the new stuff. Very interesting. Might have to check into it.

Dale

5. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Doody, I've always been a Norton Commando fan as well, but the cost to get into a decent on was always so high that I was a little leery about paying up for a 30 year old british bike. I have since fallen in love with the new Triumph Thruxton - cafe racer styling, with modern build quality (the new triumphs are getting rave reviews across the pond and here for a number of positive things) , retro styling, and a price almost comparable to the Norton with none of the age related issues. Might be something to check out...occasionally I'll see one on eBay, but check out Triumph's website and they should have some good pictures and stats.

HTH
    Jason
    [edit] that said, those Vincents are BEAUTIFUL![/edit]

6. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    some parts supply houses... might be able to point ya int he right direction...

Rabers.com
    Britishonly.com

7. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    was it a Norton or Triumph in the movie "Motorcycle Diaries"?
    It was a one banger too wasn't it?

8. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    It was a Norton in the motorcycle diaries. I have been around brit bike community for some time. I can tell ya the Norton Commando is the best of the Brit twins. Very smooth at highway speed. Unfortunatly for Triumph, the bigger the engine got the worst the vibes. They are beautiful bikes but they can literally break steel parts from vibration, will really beat you up on long rides. The last Brit bike I owned was a 72 Commando Combat. The Combat motor has bigger valves and carbs, higher compression and bigger cams, when set up well they really run. It was set up as a cafe racer with lots of parts from Norvil. For info pick up a copy of Classic Bike. Also Norvil Motorcycle company in England has every single part for the Commando. Infact you can buy a brand new 70's style Commando from them. This is different from the Kenny Dreer Nortons made in Oregon. Good luck on your hunt. If you try Cycle Trader Online there is usually a bunch in there. 6k will get you a beautiful bike. If you have any Questions I could help with feel free to PM me.Best regards.

Darrell.

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    thanks for all the pointers, guys.

i have a friend who used to own and ride a 1962 Norton Dominator way back in the day. i was asking for resource pointers for him - to potentially get him back in the bike game!

thanks,
    doody.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Anybody ever had a NorVint?

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    The guy i work for has a Norton Atlas in his collection, its in silver fox. I have ridden it at times. Nice looking bike.

12. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
  13. Goose

Goose Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    Kent, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The new Commandos, whenever they come out, are built here in the U.S.

14. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Dale:

Shoot the guy who put your motor together. When you come out here again, I'll let you ride my 77. When balanced properly, they don't vibrate. I'm a bit anal, and it doesn't leak either, could be the hours spent lapping the case halfs to make sure it didn't, and maybe the hours making sure that everthing, including the rods weighed exactly to the 1/2 gram what they needed to weigh to make sure it balanced. Brits weren't the best on quality control, but a great looking piece, good design for the time.

Nortons when pushed hard, will scare the crap out of you. The wobble, not just a little, but a lot. When I started racing in the late 60s, the production class was owned by the Norton Crew: George Kerker, ? Manley, and ? Simmons. They had won every race, except for the occassional race won by the BSA triple ridden by McGilvery (sp?) from Johnnies in Bakersfield. When the Honda 750 showed up, we cleaned their clocks, and you could see them wiggle their way past each and every corner that had bumps in them. Of course the Honda wiggled, but you expected it from that piece of junk.

Don't ride the Norton too hard. If you do, get the fix that Dunstall had for their wobbles. Replaced the rubber motor mounts with metal, causing it to vibrate.

Art

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #16 MarkPDX, Dec 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    my brother went when he was in vegas, and they wouldn't let him take pics....

17. KTG

KTG Formula Junior

May 16, 2005
    Chicago,IL
    you just need to learn about the featherbed frame

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Where is this show now?

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Art, my 70 has a 5-speed box that helps keeps the vibes down. But at the end of the day, you can't repeal the laws of physics.

And yes, the Nortons were more GT bikes than racers. Hell, even my 1970 Bonneville has a flexy flyer frame. You get used to it after a while. :)

Dale

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  21. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yep, I looked on the Guggenheim site real quick like and couldn't find anything. I saw it in Memphis, it left there in October.........

22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Has anyone here ever driven the Wankled Norton?

23. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    You probably should have said "if" they come out. I have heard that things are very shaky at the new Norton. They apparently promise a lot of things to many people, but can't deliver. Caveat emptor.