308 Interior resto/remodel | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 Interior resto/remodel

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jdubbya, Nov 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

There's always more than one way to skin a cat! Seems like that would work too. Did you have a hard time getting to the rivets?

I should also clarify that there are no rivets holding the bottom window surround in. The inside gasket of the window does overlap it and the headliner though.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Getting to the rivets was VERY easy. Once the inner glass trim is pulled back they are in plain sight and easily accessible (two things that are not always the case in a 308 i.e the oil pressure sending unit)

3. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #28 Jdubbya, Nov 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I managed to spend some time today to get the windshield frame all cleaned up and primered. A few coats of paint over the next couple days, some new trim clips from Daniel and it will be ready for the new windshield. (edit: I did find some minor surface rust in bottom corner on the driver's side. A little POR-15 and all was well though)

Now that I'm hopefully done making a big mess I'll start taking out the old carpet and getting things prepped for the new stuff. Also need to figure out what to do about the stereo amp currently located on the rear firewall between the two seats.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #29 Jdubbya, Nov 27, 2005
    Couldn't sleep so I worked some more. Got the door sills out, most of the carpet and the vinyl from around the front hood latch. Also found some of the very original carpet up under the dash. It's almost like an archeological dig.

Also got a new steering wheel the other day from Wayne at Pelican. Couldn't find a silver, solid spoke, Prototipo anywhere. Actually after some stripping on the old one it's looking like I'll be able to refinish it and eventually reuse it. Might try to dye the white stitching on the new one red.

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #30 Jdubbya, Dec 1, 2005
  6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Good work John - I'm really enjoying this thread.

7. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Hi John, I enjoyed reading your progress too. Can I ask how you took out the instrument cluster and canopy? I have a 77' 308gtb too, and I want to detail the instrument cluster and re-upholster the cover. I have the workshop manual too, but it does not explain how to disassemble that part. Thanks alot, Henry

8. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Henry,

Mine is actually a '78 GTS but I think the instrument binnacle should be similar. To take the instrument cluster itself out all you need to do is GENTLY remove the warning lights at each corner. Look inside and there should be a screw recessed in through the hole. Unscrew each of those four screws and the cluster will be free. Put a finger into two of the warning light holes and GENTLY pull the whole cluster out toward you.

Once the cluster is out you can GENTLY unplug all the gauges and lights (I'd recommend labeling them all) or just GENTLY hang the cluster off to the side. The binnacle (or canopy) is mounted to the dash pad with a few very small studs and nuts. I couldn't reach them too well but I didn't care because I pulled the whole dash (you don't want to pull the whole dash unless its absolutely neccesary!!).

A few tips to make this job easier...First, remove the steering wheel, it'll make it much easier (just remove the six socket head screws around the horn button). Next, use dental floss to GENTLY remove the warning lights. Hopefully you'll avoid scratching the cluster face this way. Last, be GENTLE (in case you hadn't gotten that yet ;) ), all these parts are old and some of them can be expensive to replace.

Let me know if you this helps or if you need more info! I'd post pics but my dash is still at the upholstery shop.

9. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #34 Jdubbya, Dec 7, 2005
    I'm having one heck of a time figuring out the "carpet jig-saw puzzle"!! It seems my existing carpet was some kind of custom job because the pieces don't match the new ones very well. If I ever figure it out and get it installed I think it's going to look pretty good though.

Anyone who has done this before have any tips on which pieces go where?
    ?

Thanks,
    John

10. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Thanks for the instructions John. I will try it this weekend. Good luck on the carpet instal. Henry

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    John
    This thread is inspiring - great work - took the plunge and ordered new carpet yesterday for the Mondial as several places were wearing and fairing poorly.

I had a long talk with a carpet guy about soundproofing padding under the carpeting, of which my Mondial 3.2 has none. The guy also commented that the oem carpet was a light medium/low quality carpet compared to others he had seen.

Could you or anyone comment on any soundproofing padding you may or may not have found? I am thinking of going with a lighter aluminum foil backed material under the carpet as found in many sound shops.

Again - great work, great photos and good luck!

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #37 Jdubbya, Dec 8, 2005
    Russ,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Right now I need all I can get!

As you can see in the pics there is no insulation on the floor of the 308 either. I've seen it discussed before though and have to agree that, being fiberglass, I'm not sure it's really necessary. I don't suppose it would hurt to add some light padding though.

As for the carpet, the original piece I found (at least I think it's original)seems to be a little thicker than the new stuff. The weave pattern seems to be tighter on the new as well. The original looks like a cloth or jute? backing material versus rubber on the new.

Now if I could only figure out the puzzle!

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Been there, done that. Not sure if any pics here would help you - It's a 328 though.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2842&highlight=328+carpet+leather

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Actually your thread was my original inspiration for doing this myself.

Where I'm having trouble is in the footwells. I can't seem to sort out which piece goes where. I think part of the problem is that the companies are selling a sort of "one size fits all" carpet set. I have carpet and trim for the doors which are all leather on my car.

Like I said somewhere above I have also found that the existing carpet was not factory correct. The lower A pillars (around the front hood latch, driver's side) was covered in vinyl not carpet. The same for the lower B pillar at the back of the doors. This means the new carpet doesn't match the old pieces. Fun, Fun, Fun!!

I'll figure it out but if someone has some detailed pics of both footwells it may help me!

Thanks!
    John

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #40 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 9, 2005
    Cool - Glad I inspired someone. :D :D :D

I remember the part I had trouble with was covering the funky metal piece - It was kind of behind the seats, next to the doors. Kind of at the ends of the firewall carpeting.

When I was carpeting mine, I would lay the new carpet next to the old pieces & try to match them up that way. I could also see then how I would need to bend the new pieces.

Don't know how much these foot well pics could help you.

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #41 Jdubbya, Dec 9, 2005
    Jerry,

That helps some. I'm going to spend some time this weekend trying to get it all sorted out.

Thanks!

Rick,

Per the PM the pic below is the clip that holds the trim on around the windshield. According to the book there should be 15 but I only found 11 on my car.

17. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #42 Jdubbya, Dec 11, 2005
  18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I wanted to update this thread one more time. It turns out that when I told the upholstery shop that I wasn't in a hurry, he took me at my word. As of this last Tuesday he still hadn't started on my interior pieces. The good part is I know it will be top-notch work when he gets it done!!

The bad news is I have family in from all over the country for the Holidays and wanted to be able to show the car off, but...what's that they say about the best laid plans??

To top it off I am going to be too busy with work over at least the next three months to be able to work on it. Hopefully about the middle of April I'll get a chance to put it all back together in time for spring and summer.

I'll dig this thread up when I start getting things back in!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

John

19. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    John,

Looks good. Looking at the pic it looks like you have the carpet right.

Matt

20. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #45 Jdubbya, Jun 29, 2006

Oh the optimism I had back then. To make a long story short I had to go out of town to work for four months and the upholstery shop decided to wait until two months after I got home to start on my pieces. I think I started tearing this thing apart back in Sept or Oct of last year!!

I FINALLY got a call to pick up some of the stuff this week!! I now have the dash, console and most of the minor trim pieces and I should be able to start putting things back together.

I've had plenty of time to work out what order things need to go back together so I have some sort of plan.

So far I like what I see. I knew this guy would do good work but it was tuff waiting so long. I also ran into a rat's nest trying to figure out the stereo wiring. It was supposedly installed by a high-end shop by one of the previous owners. They certainly got their money's worth in wiring!!

Now that I have the A and B pillar trim and console back I can start installing the carpet and get this thing rolling. The seats and the rest of the trim have been promised in "about" a week. The way he works that could mean several though!!

Here's a couple pics of the newly covered parts.

21. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

You told me you paid $17,000.

22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well another update. The good news is that the interior is starting to go back together. I have actually been able to get a few pieces of carpet installed and some of the trim back on. Good news! Still waiting for the rest of the pieces including the seats and targa top and door panels but... it looks like I now have more time to work on the interior.

The bad news. I decided that I was going to replace the exhaust with a Stebro while the car was apart. After tearing out the old exhaust I found some bad rust in the trunk floor pans. I can't just put it back together but I don't want to get into a full "Paul Newman" restoration either. It looks like I can pull the bottom sections out and hopefully fab some new pieces. It's basically the two side section floor pans. The center section is stainless and glass and the outboard body sections are glass.

Looks like my whole years driving season is shot now for sure though.

23. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    John,
    Thats too bad, my Stebro is on the way, in fact its suppose to be here today. You aren't telling me I need to pull up the floor to install are u?
    Stop working so much and get that car back together.
    Bill

24. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm considering a Stebro myself, let me know how you like it...

25. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #50 Jdubbya, Jul 13, 2006
    Bill,

You don't have to pull the floor to install the new exhaust!! Here is what I found on the bottom of the floor after pulling my existing one (first pic is looking up from ground level).

It's not that I'm working too much, it's just that Italian car thing (and I'm beginning to think this one may be cursed!). When I start one thing I keep stumbling on other problems! I'll get it back together but it will be a while longer now.