Top Gear - Help Needed !!! | FerrariChat

Top Gear - Help Needed !!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lawwdog, Dec 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hello Mates !

I'm in Sunny California and I am (my wife actually) on a chase. My santa claus list includes the Top Gear Season on DVD.

My wife spent most of her day on-line tracking down the DVD season set on the BBC site. When putting in the required info for ordering and shipping, the BBC will only sell to those in the UK.

Can anyone help?

I would gladly pay you via Pay Pal, Check, Money Order. Can I use someone's adress and have it shipped to you?

My wife will be watching the replies...but I will too. I want the season set.

Thank you - Cheers

Mario and Cristin

P.S. My wife said she saw a post after she Googled - Top Gear and there was info that the DVD's in the UK do not work in the U.S. I don't believe it. Anyone know if this is true ?

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Mario,

I am only aware of two "best of" Top Gear DVDs (rather than a complete set of the episodes). However, these are Region 2 encoded. That means they will not play on a standard US DVD player. The US uses Region 1 encoding. The Region encoding was something I understand the Hollywood studios insisted on when the DVD formula was agreed so they could release things in different parts of the world at different times (if you believe them) or so they could sell at a higher price in markets that would bear it (if you believe everyone else). If you search the Web you may find that your DVD player has a little "hack" available that enables it to bypass the region-encoding, but obviously I couldn't possibly condone anything like that ;) I might say that I find it mildly amusing that someone in the US should hit this issue as it is us Europeans who have been stuffed by this and obliged to pay more for our DVDs!

Jonathan

3. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
  4. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    I can help you but you do need to make sure that your player is multi region - lot of them are while other can be converted. As long as everything is nice and legal :)

PM me if you want, I have Paypal and would not mind ordering them and sending over.

It is indeed funny that you encounter these issues as they are generaly issues the European are more familiar with. I order stuff from the states every now and then and it is rather frustrating to hit the purchase button just to be told they cannot ship outside the US.

5. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    I'm sure www.play.com will ship UK disks to the US (as the company is based outside the EU)

Be careful with BBC DVDs, I've always found that you actually need a multi-region player rather than just a region 0 DVD player

6. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    By the way, I believe that the UK broadcast shows are not the same as the US ones, I recently saw a BBC World version while in the US and the show was definitely altered, the usual translation of boots versus trunks, and bonnets are hoods etc. but also Clarkson was much more toned down. If you have'nt seen in him in full flow in the US you are in for a treat. He often makes cutting remarks about American cars (which he didn't on the altered show I saw) which is strange considering he owns a Ford GT. He also knocks all other countries too, but it is all tounge in cheek anyway. I bought a very cheap video player on my US trip and easily found a hack on the Internet to play European formats. Enjoy the CDs.

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeah the US version is only 30mins as well compared to the full 60mins the BBC shows and the content is atleast a season behind.

Tho if they were able to win an emmy with the cut down version...

8. FerrariWA

FerrariWA Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2004
    Seattle/London
    Full Name:
    Thomas Summerfield
    There is actually going to be a TOP GEAR USA Edition, it wont have Clarkson,Hammond or May, nor will it have the same kind of format, its going to be a drag racers, a average bloke and a reality TV star. And its filmed in a pit garage, without any audience. And no stig either, but they will have a track and early in the year stig blow them out of the water when he posted track times in a mustang, charger, and CLS55. They will have star in a reasonably priced car. But I am doubting they will have any of the "epic" journies or challenges that they have on the UK version, BTW did anyone see last nights, they bought three exotic cars for under 10,000, none of them made it to the finish. And next week, Clarkson is racing the Bugatti Veyron agaisnt the other two in a plane. Looks Exciting!

9. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    I saw it last night. How many more times can these programmes do the 'Supercar for the price of a second hand Mondeo'
    If I had a 308GT4, I would be getting the complete arse with this. Realistically you are not going to get much (except a lot of trouble) for this money.
    Top Gear Magazine did this with a 308GT4 years ago. Classic & Sportscar Magazine do a similar type article practically every year. Saw on old 'Wheeler Dealers' programme on Discovery at the weekend, they had a 308GT4 and a 400i.
    You would need to be a very shrewd and educated buyer to come out on top at this price level (IMO)

10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    EVO did a good review of a Mondial, 400 and a gt4 in issue 64 ;)

11. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Yes, of course the Mondial gets lumped into this selection as well.

The other laughable suggestion that these magazines come up with is the idea that you can get a 246gt for GBP 30k/35k. I've seen cars go for this money at auction, they look great from about 3 yards or so. Closer inspection reveals rust on most panels - and those are cheap to replace - not... Am I right in thinking a new front end for a dino is about 12k?
    Of course the car they feature in the article will be part of Nick Cartwrights stock, just been restored and is up for grabs at 65k!

12. G7RYE

G7RYE Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Ackworth
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    after they stop slagging US cars, there is only 30 mins left!!!!!!!! (per season)

13. Paintshield

Paintshield Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2004
    Grantham UK
    Full Name:
    Tom Wakeford
    You need to find a multi region piece of DVD software (for a PC) or a DVD player (Logix for example) that have published hacks for unlocking the region protection. US DVD's are region one and UK DVD's are region 2. I won't get into the legality of the region locking to maintain absurdly high prices in the UK as I will be here all day :) A good A/V shop should be able to tell you how to disable the locks on your machine (if possible) or should be able to sell you an unlockable machine :)

Best Wishes

Tom

14. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    The problem is that very few people in the US want to watch videos bought outside the US.

Apart from the regional coding issue, Europe and the US use different standard definition TV systems (EU: PAL, US: NTSC). Most EU equipment (all DVD players and most TVs) now work with both systems, but most US equipment doesn't (it could be different if you have a US HDTV set). So if you're in Europe, all you have to do is find a way round the regional coding and you can play US DVDs.

But in the US, you will find that your DVD player and TV will not be able to cope with a European DVD under any circumstances. European DVDs are encoded at 50 fields per second and 576 lines, whereas US standard definition Region 1 DVDs are encoded at 60 fps and 480 lines.

So your best bet is to use a computer to play the disks. Unfortunately most undoctored computers allow you to change region, but after a certain number of changes back and forth, it won't let you change the region any more. The best way round this is some freeware called Regionkiller (I think that's the name). You could do a search for this on Google or do a search on here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26
    You need something that will work without having to make your DVD drive multi-region, because that can fry your drive if it goes wrong.

15. vks

vks Rookie

Nov 21, 2004
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    Viresh Sharma
    Hi,
    I have MCE at home and record all epiosodes of Top Gear onto my media server (what a geek!)

I am not comfortable releasing my IP for access as I did that once before and then got a few problems with it.. however..if anyone is interested regardless of what country you are in then please drop me a line and I can send the episodes that I have, it takes about 2 episodes per DVD at the moment.

V.

16. Hates_

Hates_ Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
  17. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I bought mine after reading such an article in Classic & Sportscar. I think it can be done if you do your research properly and are confident in assessing the mechanical condition of a car.

I think Top Gear coverage was unusually biased against the GT4 as it actually had only 1 electrical problem, whereas the other 2 had major faults.

18. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Dan - you are not wrong. You were obviously an educated buyer and got a good car.
    The magazine articles often fail to point out the problems with buying a car of this sort at the bottom end of the price range. I am not 100pct sure why this winds me up - it must be the inevitable 'Ferrari for Mondeo money' banner that invariably accompanies these articles.

As I recall the electrical fault that occurred on the GT4 appeared to have been engineered for comedy value. That section on Top Gear would have been dropped had all 3 cars functioned perfectly.

Thats enough cynicism about the media for one day!

19. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Well Andy, if me and the missus manage to get tickets for the next series, I will take the matter up with Mr Clarkson!

20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have been trying for tickets for nearly three years. If you do get there tell him good ;)

21. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    3 years - No sh*t!

Has anyone here actually been in the audience? Are you just herded around and treated as a 'prop' or do you actually get to do or see a little more.
    If it sounds good I might line myself up for some tickets for the 2012 series.

22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have seen it somewhere that the waiting list stretches into about 2008 or something ridiculous. All I get from Applause.com is email inviting me to Terry Wogan's new show or Fanny Craddock's cooking show :D

However I live in hope. I have been in other TV show audiences back in the 90's and it is a pretty good experience. It's a whole day at Top Gear I think so it should be quite good.

23. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    So when are you seeing Fanny Craddock?

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :D:D Hopefully many many good years before I meet her!

25. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Really?! I've only just signed up to be on the Reserve List. And I had to sign up for X-Factor as well to keep the missus onside...D'oh!