The price of license plates in Nebraska, Ouch! | FerrariChat

The price of license plates in Nebraska, Ouch!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by THE RED MENACE, Dec 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I moved to good ole’ Nebraska and I went to license my car today, 05 VW Touareg V8, and I almost had a heart attack when the man at the counter told me the total! Let me set it up for you, the clerk typed all my information in the computer, as he was doing this he asked me, has anyone told you that it is expensive to license a car here? I told him I had heard that it was a little pricey. Well when he was finished inputting my data, he did a double take, then he began to chuckle and then showed me the computer screen with the total, $925. Damn near a Grand! Talk about a kick in the ding ding! Does this seem high or about right?

2. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Welcome to Nebraska, Tom: I had lived there for 5 years as a youth.
    You should have told them it was a John Deere! ;)

BTW, GO CORNHUSKERS!!!!!!!!

3. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Wow thats crazy i live in MI and i just renewed my plates granted i drive a 98 grand prix but my plates were $74

4. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    indiana's not much better, when I bought a 2 year old NSX it cost me about $600!!!! MOTHA ***IN BASTURDS

5. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.
    i think my custom motorcycle plate was ~$50 in Virginia. a regular plain car plate is probably even cheaper.

6. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    '77 308 / Kalifornia: $42

7. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Many states have a property tax on cars at registration. (Called an "ad valorem" tax).

CT has (had?) a big one. Georgia has a pretty big one (Changes county by county) My 360 in Gwinett county ran me $1800.00 to register!

Usually states that have high registration fees offset that in lower state income tax. (Not always!!) I have a place in Tennessee and I moved the registration of my cars to there and now pay $40.00 per car per year. A lot less than Georgia. But Tenn has a 10% sales tax (no state income tax though.) and GA has a 7% sales tax and about a 4-5% income tax.

So me, I own my main home in GA., register my cars in Tenn., claim Tenn as my business residence but buy my cars in GA.

Alas, I am also forced to do a lot of work in Canada, in Toronto and I just thank god I am not a Canadian citizen. 15% sales tax on everything you buy-cars, food, haircuts, any service work. Just stupid!! And the nominal income tax rate up here is 54% and my tax rate, as a self owned business would be 74%!!!

Of, but of course I would then have access to Canada's "world envious" health care system!

Trust me--there is no better country in the world than the USA. As bad as things may seem here, we are so much more competent, better off, than any other place you would not believe it.

This come from someone who has lived in Europe, Japan, England, Canada, USA, etc.

8. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Tom - Sorry to hear about your getting mugged at the Nebraska DMV...

I have yet to register my '01 Xterra down here in NC, still have CT plates on it, and am waiting on the title to get sent to me from the dealership. I did just get a NC insurance policy and cancelled my CT policy, that was a huge difference!!!
    6 month policy with Progressive, $300k max liability, collision, fire, theft vandalism. For an '01 Xterra, clean record (no tickets for 3 years, no claims for almost 4 years)
    CT policy - $854
    NC policy - $572

CHA-CHING to ME!!! :)

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    that not fair pete, i think he's talking about when you buy a new car and then need the plates for it. most times the dealer handles that for us here, however you pay big for those plates. my 05' A8 set me back nearly $3500. and the mondial i just picked up was $1320. for the plates. now every yr i only pay about 100 for the registration stickers for it. i hope to god he doesn't pay that every yr.. but the renewal on the A8 is due at $680 this next yr.

for CA it's based on a percentage of the vehicles value IRC.

10. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Yeah, it only costs me $30 to register the Ferrari in Maine (same cost as registering my ATV). But I get hit with income tax and sales tax. My buddy lives in New Hampshire which has no income or sales tax but when you compare his property tax to what I pay, it works out about the same.

11. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005

12. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Why did my quote not work? I ride the short bus to the computer literacy school.

13. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    you for got the [/ on the last quote.

[blah] [/blah]

14. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I have a friend who is stationed in NE with the Air Force. He registered his car in AK because it was quite a bit cheaper.

15. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #15 isellpower, Dec 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. turbo6

turbo6 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    CT is pretty crazy too :(

17. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In Michigan plates for my 328GTS were $400.00

18. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Try registering a new Ferrari within Seattle city limits. There's a 1.4 percent tax levied for every 10k value of your vehicle to pay for the stupid new monorail (now dead). Pay in the thousands for your license tabs for the next couple of years until the monorail debt is paid off.

I'm out in the 'burbs and it's still over $400 for the F-car (have to pay for regional public transport). "Basic" license tab renewal is $30 but there's a lot of extras that's tacked on depending on where you live.