Suede interior work? | FerrariChat

Suede interior work?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bullitt44, Dec 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    Do any of you guys know of anyone who does suede work? I am looking to have my steering wheel redone and possibly my seat bolsters.

Thanks in advance!

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #2 WILLIAM H, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    That is "yard length off the roll" which is about 1.5 yards in width.
    You should do the seats in Alcantara as well (of course IMHO)
    :)

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    they have 2 different types of Alcantara. The kind for seating surfaces is probably thicker than that used for mere upholstry

5. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #5 jeffdavison, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did the upper dash and instrument pod in my 355 in dark charcoal Alcantara. I found a NOS (discontinued) Momo "Club-3" steering wheel to match.

Had it doen by John Dutton a.k.a. The Mad Stitcher in Atlanta. I did the removal and replacement of the pieces.

Material cost were $84 a yard from Gulf Fabrics, used about 3 yards and change as I also did an area of the door panels and the rear parcel.

Labor cost was $1200.

Sure beats dash shrinkage, gives the interior a bit more modern feel without detracting (too much) from the original. Kinda like "Mouse Hair" with out the drawbacks.

JD
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    You are correct, Alcantara has different versions of its product, however, these mainly consist of different backings to the basic material. The version that you would use for upholstery has a canvas type backing but this can be easily peeled off leaving the Alcantara unaffected and now more flexible for use on interior panels etc.

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Looks nice, probably eliminates glare off the dash too

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Covering steering wheels is an art in itself that requires specialized tools and experience. There are people who only do steering wheel restorations. Keep this in mind if some upholstery shop tells you that they can do your wheel for you. As for Alcantara, it is a phenomenal material. Incredibly durable and highly cleanable. I would strongly recommend asking for it by name.